"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-29-2008, 04:57 AM   #21
Executive Chef

You know some lettuces cook up really well (as in grill or pan fry), so you could have gone down that path. Likewise lettuce soup - not quite boiled salad but not far off. Some salad ingredients obviously would have to go but not necessarily everything.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:00 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never seen RR wash her veggies aside from a quick rinse or wiping off mushrooms with a damp towel. She says she always washes them when she gets back from the store so they are ready to go. She also said something about prepackaged veggies already being washed. At least that's how washing veggies on her 30 minute meals show are handled.

Enjoy your double salad today, YT!
And if you start tossing the salad with your hands, you won't run into this problem again. Just wash your hands first.... or rinse them... whatever

Old 01-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #23
Executive Chef

If you wash your veges when you stick em in the fridge, you start to lose the nutrients in them and they are also likely to perish quicker.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
If you wash your veges when you stick em in the fridge, you start to lose the nutrients in them and they are also likely to perish quicker.
Why would that be?
Here in the US, at least at the stores around me, it is a regular thing to have sprinklers above much of the produce spraying it down several times/day. In effect it is kept cold and wet. Although with much more air circulation that the typical refrigerator.... Not that I would ever wash my veggies before putting them away. I was just saying before that you may not see RR wash her veggies that well because that's what she says she does with them. And is one of her time savers.
Of course none of this has anything to do with YT's situation but it's interesting to see how other people handle their produce before it hits the plate.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:33 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Can't answer your question Pacanis. Never pondered what "they" tell me about the storage of veges. Just follow. Baa Baa!!! I only heard it again on the radio or tv in the past couple of days. If I remember where, I'll post again but I have heard/read it several times.

The spraying of the fruit and veges in stores is not always a good thing either as they spray indescriminately and the water actually ruins the produce. Somethings are meant to be stored dried. It's as annoying as the shops cutting the tops of spring onions off. They perish quicker too.

Re RR, I have never seen any tv chef/cook wash the veges before using them except for Jamie Oliver in the Jamie at Home series.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Can't answer your question Pacanis. Never pondered what "they" tell me about the storage of veges. Just follow. Baa Baa!!! I only heard it again on the radio or tv in the past couple of days. If I remember where, I'll post again but I have heard/read it several times.
"They" repeat that salads with mayo in them are more perishable than other foods, but that's not true, either. Just to add to the controversy

Quote:
The spraying of the fruit and veges in stores is not always a good thing either as they spray indescriminately and the water actually ruins the produce. Somethings are meant to be stored dried. It's as annoying as the shops cutting the tops of spring onions off. They perish quicker too.
The cause of wilting in most fresh veggies is a lack of moisture, which is why they're sprayed with water in grocery stores. It's also why fridge manufacturers make fridges with a produce drawer that can be set for high humidity - it keeps them fresher longer. The ones that should stay dry, like onions and potatoes, are in separate bins that aren't sprayed.

Quote:
Re RR, I have never seen any tv chef/cook wash the veges before using them except for Jamie Oliver in the Jamie at Home series.
I've seen them rinse or brush mushrooms, but that's about it.

YT, sorry about your salad. Depending on the ingredients, you might have been able to save it. Sauteed spinach with oil and vinegar is pretty good, for example
Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
"They" repeat that salads with mayo in them are more perishable than other foods, but that's not true, either. Just to add to the controversy
Not heard that one at all!! But then I guess the "they" I am referring to are probably nutritionists who tend not to acknowledge that people use mayo (except on the side of course) and would never pre-dress a salad. "Our" "they" is probably a bit different from "your" "they".

Quote:
The cause of wilting in most fresh veggies is a lack of moisture, which is why they're sprayed with water in grocery stores. It's also why fridge manufacturers make fridges with a produce drawer that can be set for high humidity - it keeps them fresher longer. The ones that should stay dry, like onions and potatoes, are in separate bins that aren't sprayed.
Not here they aren't. You will find as I said, that it is indescriminate. Even when auto sprayers are installed there is still some idiot with a spray bottle.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:42 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

I imagine most TV chefs have their crews prepare the veggies the way they see fit. And they probably don't want to tell you their methods just to avoid any controversy. RR is the only one I've seen tell you what she does with them, but she doesn't tell you how she washes them, only that hse does before they are put away.
And I've never seen anyone in "real life" even rinse an apple. People I've known have only gone to the extent of polishing it on their shirt They may have been adding more contaminants than they were getting rid of
Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

I rinse all apples I buy. the exception is when I am picking it right off the tree. that is the only time I use the polish method.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm sure that's probably the smart thing to do, I've just never seen anyone do it in my circle. I'll have to ask this apple farmer I know what he does with them for his own consumption. He would obviously know exactly what he's spraying them with. I usually see him or his wife every few weeks. I'll report back when I find out just in case anyone is interested.