"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
The thing about traps is YOU have to empty them.. That's gross.

The OTC DCon bait, pellets take too long to take effect and be rid of the critters. Mice can be very clever. They know if they eat the pellets or the blocks, they can counter the effects of it by eating dog food kibble.

We went to the hardware store and bought this. It truly only takes one bite. They eat it and immediately take off to seek water. Water won't help them now. It definitely has to be kept away from pets. It's very effective in getting rid of rodents.

Rat/mouse Poison, Just One Bite Ii Bar, 16 Oz. Bar Farnum Co. 3005449

Munky.
I googled "Bromadioline-anti- coagulant rodenticide" and found this page: Anticoagulant Rodenticide Toxicosis in the Dog and Cat which states, "...However, they also are lethal to non-target species, including domestic dogs and cats. The most common route of rodenticide toxicosis is by direct ingestion of the baits. Capture and ingestion of poisoned rodents also can lead to toxicosis, especially with newer second-generation anticoagulant rodenticides."

Old 01-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Consider electronic rodent repellent devices? VictorŽ Rodent Repellents - How Do They Work? | Mice Repellent | Ultrasonic Mouse Repellent | Mouse Repellent | VictorŽ Rodent Control

There are too many critters to trap them all. Drive them off by making your home unpleasant for them.
I had heard about those quite a while ago, but there used to be issues because dogs and cats could hear them too. The makers of this seem to have done some research and solved that problem.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #23
Master Chef

Site Administrator

We had a rat problem for a while (we live in the city) around our house, not inside. We tried everything to get rid of the pesky things. The city came out a couple of times to gas em and dumped poison down any hole they might have gone into.

I bought a new garbage can for outside, since the city guy said that would help. In less than 24 hours we had a hole chewed in it you could have pushed a football through.

Metal trash cans did the trick though. We noticed a drop off in activity in weeks, and haven't seen one in a couple years.

Remove the food source, or the ability to get to the food and they move on.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Timothy, never had a rodent problem in Florida (I lived maybe 90 min south of you for 6 yrs).
Natural predators may have kept the population down as they do for me. At night here, it sounds like an Owl Chorus out there. They eat anything that dares to show itself.

I love listening to them at night. Each one has a specific Hoot. I've learned to tell them apart.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I had heard about those quite a while ago, but there used to be issues because dogs and cats could hear them too. The makers of this seem to have done some research and solved that problem.
My daughter, who owns a dog, has been using these for years with good results.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Natural predators may have kept the population down as they do for me. At night here, it sounds like an Owl Chorus out there. They eat anything that dares to show itself.

I love listening to them at night. Each one has a specific Hoot. I've learned to tell them apart.
Owls are silent hunters. They glide through the air and their intended victim never hears it coming. They don't flap their wings once they leave their perch and have an eye on their prey. Unlike hawks, they don't dive, They just glide down with their talons outstretched and grab their prey. Then they fly back to the nest.

We had an owl family in the tree over by the barn on the farm. We would sit very quietly on the porch and watch the parents swoop down on anything that dared to leave the safety of the barn. Kept the cat in the house at night.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

Owls are silent hunters. They glide through the air and their intended victim never hears it coming. They don't flap their wings once they leave their perch and have an eye on their prey. Unlike hawks, they don't dive, They just glide down with their talons outstretched and grab their prey. Then they fly back to the nest.

We had an owl family in the tree over by the barn on the farm. We would sit very quietly on the porch and watch the parents swoop down on anything that dared to leave the safety of the barn. Kept the cat in the house at night.
I have a great horned owl that likes to sit on the roof at night. I know what kind he is by the distinctive "who" and because we have seen him early evening and early morning sitting on the house. He looks right at us and stays put, but I sure wouldn't want to be a cat. "Hooty" as we call him, woke me up last night and kept me awake for quite some time. The ground squirrel population is kept at bay by this guy, as is the mouse population. I'm ok with having him wake me sometimes. Last night he was talking to another owl further away.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I saw one get a rattlesnake one evening. It came from above, silent and deadly, hit the rattler at high speed, scrambled on the ground for just a few seconds and flew up to a branch with the snake in it's talons. I watched, using my binoculars, while the Owl smashed the snakes head on the branch until it was pulp, then eat it head first, one gulp at a time until a minute later, no snake and a nice full Owl Belly.

Wonderful creatures! I love Owls.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Several colubrids would take care of the rodents.

Craig
Old 01-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I have a great horned owl that likes to sit on the roof at night. I know what kind he is by the distinctive "who" and because we have seen him early evening and early morning sitting on the house. He looks right at us and stays put, but I sure wouldn't want to be a cat. "Hooty" as we call him, woke me up last night and kept me awake for quite some time. The ground squirrel population is kept at bay by this guy, as is the mouse population. I'm ok with having him wake me sometimes. Last night he was talking to another owl further away.
When I lived in the country, we had a great horned owl living in our "attic". We could hear it leave to go hunting on well lit nights. It used to help itself to the first bunny on the snare line. I'm glad it moved out in early spring. Apparently they are really good providers for their young and they keep a larder in their nest. Their favourite food is skunk.

Closed Thread