Ham and Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KAYLINDA

Head Chef
How many of you have cooked your ham and beans in the oven? I never had...but after mother-in-law said to try it...I did. Worked great! Didn't seem to have as much mess as the splattering from a pot....but you still have to watch that they don't go dry! They were excellent too...I liked it!

I'd imagine it would be the same sort of process as making 'baked beans'.

Are you talking butter beans in your ham 'n beans?

I cook a lot of things in the oven. Chili. Soup. Spaghetti sauce. The oven provides more even heating which helps prevent burning and just seems to work better.

Not butter beans...I used Great Northern! I agree with jennyema too...did my stew this week for the first time in the oven....liked it better than stovetop! Haven't tried chili that way.....did you start with raw meat jennyema?

KAYLINDA said:
Not butter beans...I used Great Northern! I agree with jennyema too...did my stew this week for the first time in the oven....liked it better than stovetop! Haven't tried chili that way.....did you start with raw meat jennyema?

I browned the meat on the stove first, then put in the oven.

Most of the time I start whatever it is on the stove, browning meat, sweating veggies, etc. I get it up to a simmer on the stove, then put into the oven.

oven in a cast iron pot is a fine wa yto do chili, stews, etc. you do have to keep an eye on things and stir every so often, but not as much as on the stove top.

Back
Top Bottom