"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6
ISO Authentic Hungarian Goulash Recipe?

Hi. I'm new to the forum and am looking for an authentic Hungarian Goulash recipe. Would anyone like to share their recipe or direct me to one. Thanks.

__________________

__________________
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: N.E., Ohio
Posts: 1,644
Go to the library and get THE BOOK on Hungary Cuisine by George Lang--or look for it online:George Lang's Cuisine of Hungary by George Lang (Hardcover - Jun 13, 1994)
or
Amazon.com: The Cuisine of Hungary: George Lang: Books
__________________

__________________
PieSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
June Meyer's has a great site - here is her recipe for Goulash
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Des Moines Iowa
Posts: 1,214
There is as many rercipes for Goulash as there are Hungarians.
Here is my take on the subject. Use Chuck roast and dice into 1/2 chunks and brown in a dutch oven when nicely browned add some julianne onions, Tomato puree
Caraway seed and Hungarian Paprika, some beef stock and let cook in the oven 2-3 hrs to make sure it is tender then check seasonings add S&P to taste and serve with spatzle. It should be very tender and have a nice caraway taste. this is one of my favorite recipes. Dave
__________________
Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
Toots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
There is as many rercipes for Goulash as there are Hungarians.
Here is my take on the subject. Use Chuck roast and dice into 1/2 chunks and brown in a dutch oven when nicely browned add some julianne onions, Tomato puree
Caraway seed and Hungarian Paprika, some beef stock and let cook in the oven 2-3 hrs to make sure it is tender then check seasonings add S&P to taste and serve with spatzle. It should be very tender and have a nice caraway taste. this is one of my favorite recipes. Dave

Dave - that sounds awesome. I haven't made any kind of goulash in years. Might have to try it again soon!
__________________
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6
Thanks for the great replies. I am definitely finding out that there are soooo many variations of this great dish. This forum is great!
__________________
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Yes, there are as many recipes for goulash as there are tomato sauce recipes. I don't even think I made it the same twice.

Two things I ALWAYS do are: Slightly toast the caraway seeds first, and only use Szeged Paprika.

This is one of those times where I use a stock pot on the stove to start the dish, browning the meat, etc. Once all the ingredients have been added I transfer it to my slow cooker to cook for 4-5 hours or until the meat is the texture I want.

__________________
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #8
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
Okay, while I fully admit this isn't really "authentic", it is my very favorite goulash concoction, & one I developed specifically for my non-red-meat-eating husband.

BREEZY CHICKEN HUNGARIAN GOULASH

1 pkge. (approx. 1 pound or so) boneless skinless chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
Extra-virgin oil
1 onion, peeled & chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 can (14-15 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 bay leaves
Hot Hungarian paprika (or a combination of cayenne or freshly ground black pepper, plus sweet Hungarian paprika)
1 8-oz. can sauerkraut, undrained
1 8-oz. container sour cream
Cooked buttered egg noodles for serving

Coat bottom of large coverable skillet with olive oil. Brown chicken pieces lightly for a few minutes. Add onions, garlic, & celery & sauté until vegetables just begin to soften, being careful not to let garlic brown/burn. Add wine, broth, tomatoes, & bay leaves. Cover & simmer for 15 minutes or so, until chicken pieces are just cooked thru. Remove cover & continue simmering until liquid has reduced to a stew-like consistency (or to consistency of your taste). Remove bay leaves & stir in sauerkraut, heating thru. Add hot paprika (or black pepper) to taste. Turn off heat & stir in sour cream. Serve over cooked buttered egg noodles.
__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Yes, there are as many recipes for goulash as there are tomato sauce recipes. I don't even think I made it the same twice.

Two things I ALWAYS do are: Slightly toast the caraway seeds first, and only use Szeged Paprika.

This is one of those times where I use a stock pot on the stove to start the dish, browning the meat, etc. Once all the ingredients have been added I transfer it to my slow cooker to cook for 4-5 hours or until the meat is the texture I want.

Thanks for the tip. Is it the paprika that is the key flavor ingredient in this dish? Obviously, using fresh ingredients and a sound cooking process are required to make this a good dish.
__________________
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Okay, while I fully admit this isn't really "authentic", it is my very favorite goulash concoction, & one I developed specifically for my non-red-meat-eating husband.

BREEZY CHICKEN HUNGARIAN GOULASH

1 pkge. (approx. 1 pound or so) boneless skinless chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
Extra-virgin oil
1 onion, peeled & chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 can (14-15 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 bay leaves
Hot Hungarian paprika (or a combination of cayenne or freshly ground black pepper, plus sweet Hungarian paprika)
1 8-oz. can sauerkraut, undrained
1 8-oz. container sour cream
Cooked buttered egg noodles for serving

Coat bottom of large coverable skillet with olive oil. Brown chicken pieces lightly for a few minutes. Add onions, garlic, & celery & sauté until vegetables just begin to soften, being careful not to let garlic brown/burn. Add wine, broth, tomatoes, & bay leaves. Cover & simmer for 15 minutes or so, until chicken pieces are just cooked thru. Remove cover & continue simmering until liquid has reduced to a stew-like consistency (or to consistency of your taste). Remove bay leaves & stir in sauerkraut, heating thru. Add hot paprika (or black pepper) to taste. Turn off heat & stir in sour cream. Serve over cooked buttered egg noodles.
Thanks. Looks very tasty!
__________________

__________________
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.