"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 11-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #21
Executive Chef

We also use Minors and use less or no salt to the food prepared with Minors.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
'I see you like the ginger. What do you use the mustard seeds for? What is the heat level on the Med Hot Chili Powder? Last question, Half-Sharp Paprika, what is that like?'

We use the ginger for baking and marinades. I like to make a mixture of Kikomann, ginger, and garlic powder as a dip for my potato pierogis.

I grind mustard seeds to make mustard sauce.

Medium hot chili powder is medium hot. I sometimes jazz it up by adding some hot chili powder and or cayenne.

Half sharp paprika has a little bite. I usually use 1/3 or 1/4 half sharp to 2/3 or 3/4 sweet paprika, mostly for chicken paprikash and in sour cream sauce for pot roast and venison stew. We use paprika for a thickening agent as well as for flavor.

We use Spanish smoked paprika much more sparingly, mostly for gambas al ajillo.
Your pierogi dip is close to my go to marinade for chicken and pork, I add in sesame oil!

The chili powder isn't blasting hot then, the description is accurate. I've fallen for medium labels before and had to tone them down or liven them up.

I love using Hungarian paprika, I would like to try the half-sharp. I found Smoked paprika at Costco last year and fell in love with it...would like to try a "good" brand.

Thanks, again!

Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
the soup base containers say they contain less salt than boullion cubes. I only use this stuff a teaspoon at a time, and it is hard for me to detect any sodium level. The first ingredient is cooked chicken or cooked beef.
Thank you, Beth! I have been using the "Better Than Bullion" bases and love them. If I can find one with less salt, I will gladly switch. I use them mostly because I like a cup of bullion to relax with, sometimes and the salt can be too much.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Their base is the only item I have tried there that I have found better elsewhere. I use Minors bases. They are loaded with salt though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
We also use Minors and use less or no salt to the food prepared with Minors.

I will check into Minors, too.

Thanks, GB and Bill!

I appreciate the assist, Everyone! Even Frank's suggestion to just buy one of everything.

Reminds me of the joke about the Zen Hot Dog---make me One with Everything!
Old 11-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

One caution.

It's really easy to go WAY overboard. Remember, you have to cook stuff with all these things you are ordering.

(and invite us all over to share it).
Old 11-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
One caution.

It's really easy to go WAY overboard. Remember, you have to cook stuff with all these things you are ordering.

This...........

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
One caution.

Dinner at my place anytime...remember to bring your own oxygen the air is a bit thinner up here!

My problem is, I'm cheap...and I noticed you could order more at the same price if you didn't get the little jars. I think my first buy should include the jars, so I don't have to worry about storage right away. Then add to as I need them. I've set myself a budget and will stick to it.

Thanks for the advice, Andy!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

I did something similar to what you are thinking. I bought the jars for herbs, spices, seasonings that I use a lot then reordered larger quantities to refill the jars. I usually buy a small jar for stuff I just want to try.

You can also jut buy small bags and empty bottles.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #29
Master Chef

I personally like their Sicilian and Creamy Peppercorn salad seasonings. I'm lucky enough to have a spice merchant here in town, or I'd buy even more from Penzey's I also hit their store when I make my annual or so trip to Madison. The creamy peppercorn I use to make my version of ranch dressing in the winter, when my herb garden is defunct. The Sicilian is great with any wine vinegar/olive oil for a light Italian style dressing. I love that you can buy their seasonings in the small jar to try something new. Then if you like it, you can 'graduate' to larger jars for seasoning you find yourself using a lot!

I've received gift packages of their spices and was so charmed that I've sent them as gifts. They arrived nestled in celsior (is that right?), bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, whole nutmeg. Lovely presentation! Not to mention that the gift packaging was worth its cost!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I did something similar to what you are thinking. I bought the jars for herbs, spices, seasonings that I use a lot then reordered larger quantities to refill the jars. I usually buy a small jar for stuff I just want to try.

You can also jut buy small bags and empty bottles.
I'm still working on a "cost analysis" empty bottles vs full bottles. If I'm going to be getting the bottles, anyway. I think I can get the bottles themselves with any sifters, etc. far cheaper than through Penzeys. I'll have to check. Plus, the bottles I do have are from one source and everything would be consistent in size and color.

Looks like I'll be waiting to order until next weekend.

Tags
herbs, recipe, spices

Penzey's Help I am creating my first order, ever, for Penzeys. I would love some ideas for what members have tried and liked.:smile: Thank you! 3 stars 1 reviews