Storing Fresh Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mittshel

Cook
I don't have good luck with search on this forum, so here is a new post. How do you guys (and dolls) store your fresh garlic? Mine has not been staying fresh very long. Appreciate all replies. Betsy.

are you mincing it? or leaving it as whole cloves?

I susualyl leave my heads of garlic in the fridge.

if you are mincing it.
put it in a air tight container in some olive oil in the FRIDGE!!

I wouldnt keep it for more then a few days just becuase of bacteria and botulism.

Best Bet is to leave the head in a cool dry place or in the fridge and us as needed then toss the left overs.

I ususally buy the cloves already peeled in that plastic container and use it as needed.

A dry cool dark area with plenty of air circulation is ideal. I store mine in a basket in the kitchen or sometimes even on the kitchen counter. It is not dark, but it is dry and usually cool with lots of air circulation.

Cool dry place.

Garlic will sprout faster in the fridge. People say that storing in the fridge also affects taste.

IMO, storing garlic in oil is never a good idea because of the threat of botulism. If you do, make sure it's kept refrigerated and disposed of after a week or 10 days at the most.

Personally, I think a lot of the garlic we see in the stores is pretty crappy even before you get it home.

If I see some good, unsprouted garlic I often buy A LOT of it and freeze it. Thawed garlic is mushy, but tastes fine and is easy to use in a lot of different things.

I use one of those terra cotta garlic cellars, but it only holds a few heads, so the stuff I just bought in the store, which came in a mesh bag, will get tied to a cupboard handle. As I use it I will throw the unused cloves in the garlic cellar. And my kitchen doesn't have windows, so sunlight isn't a problem.
I used to keep it in the fridge, and now I know why it always sprouted more quickly.

Personally, I think a lot of the garlic we see in the stores is pretty crappy even before you get it home.
I could not agree more. 9 out of 10 times I have to dig and dig through the garlic bin at the store just to find one head that is not molding or falling apart or rotten already. That drives me crazy.

Hey I get to be first!

Be careful about storing garlic in oil... it can be a botulism danger.
Even refrigerated, the source I read said more than 3 weeks could be dangerous.

I toss mine in a wire basket hanging in a corner of my kitchen, out of direct sunlight.
Does pretty well there.

So, if one were to stick the sprouting garlic into a window pot of soil, would it grow?

Thanks for Lots of Good Info

Well, I am on the right track. Have been keeping it in a basket that slides under the counter. Dark, maybe not so cool. I think I'll try putting it in my garlic cellar, then in the basket. You're right about it being old. That is probably the main problem. Thanks again. Betsy.

I just throw mine in a drawer with the onions. Had one or two sprout before, none went bad though.

The problem with the supermarket garlic is that they keep it in a cold , controlled storage to allow for shipping and all that. Being a bulb, once it hits room temperature ( assuming it is warm) will think its spring time, and start to sprout as any bulb will. So a cool dry place is ideal.

GRK - I leave the bulb whole, taking off a clove (or two or three) at a time as needed. Most of my recipes use minced garlic. Thanks. Betsy.

I use the unsprouted cloves and plant the sprouting ones. Got some of my best garlic this way!!!

I store my garlic in a net bag hanging in the pantry, dark, cool and seems to keep really well.

Does any one know how to keep garlic from making the fridge smelling bad?

Would a jar work? Maybe a pickle jar.

Just keep it in a sealed container. No need to keep it in the fridge though. You can keep it out on the counter if you want.

I peel the cloves, put them in a zip lock bag, and toss the bag in the freezer. When I need a clove or two, I take them out and use them.

In the past I kept it in the dark. Does not keep that long that way. I was thinking in a cold climate, like in the fridge. Tried that too. Makes the fridge smell horrible. Another idea was in a jar were the smell could not escape.

We keep garlic in unpeeled head form in a well ventilated terra cotta container at room temperature.
Same here, like this from Amazon.com:

411K8W2CWRL._SS500_.jpg

Garlic will keep for a week or two in such containers, depending on the humidity and temperature of your kitchen. After that, it may begin to sprout or develop brown spots, and it's then time to toss it.

Best bet is not to buy too much at one time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom