"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 10-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
Senior Cook

What is sweet pimenton?

Here is the recipe it's in (found it online and want to make it ) Thanks.

Mario Batali's Chicken alla Diavola

Old 10-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Sweet pimenton is sweet paprika.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Pimenton is a type of pepper powder, popular in Spanish dishes, similar to paprika, and NOT to be confused with Hungarian paprika, whether sweet or hot.

P.S. Have made this dish and it IS fantastic!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEEN-GUINEVERE View Post
Pimenton is a type of pepper powder, popular in Spanish dishes, similar to paprika, and NOT to be confused with Hungarian paprika, whether sweet or hot.

P.S. Have made this dish and it IS fantastic!
It does sound good. I can't wait to try it. So do you think I can find it walmart? Thanks.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #5
Head Chef

That sounds delicious - I'm going to try it. Thanks for posting it!
Old 10-02-2008, 12:49 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_psychosis View Post
It does sound good. I can't wait to try it. So do you think I can find it walmart? Thanks.

When I looked for it there, no. Do you have an Indian spice store in your area? You will be able to find it there. I would say to sub paprika for it, but it's just not the same, and you may not want to make it again. Try to find the pimenton if you can. Penzey's is another place and if there is not one in your area, you'll have to mail order, but they are quick in delivery. The dish IS worth the wait!
Old 10-02-2008, 12:57 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
When I looked for it there, no. Do you have an Indian spice store in your area? You will be able to find it there. I would say to sub paprika for it, but it's just not the same, and you may not want to make it again. Try to find the pimenton if you can. Penzey's is another place and if there is not one in your area, you'll have to mail order, but they are quick in delivery. The dish IS worth the wait!
Well darn it, thats what I was afraid of. I'm 2 1/2 hours from any place with speciality stores. I think I'll look up a place to order it online as you suggested. (do you know a good place?) Thanks much.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:14 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_psychosis View Post
I think I'll look up a place to order it online as you suggested. (do you know a good place?) Thanks much.

As mentioned in my post, Penzey's. And they deliver quick, so you will not have to wait THAT long before you can make this dish!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:09 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
As mentioned in my post, Penzey's. And they deliver quick, so you will not have to wait THAT long before you can make this dish!!!
LOL I read that wrong I guess. Ok I'll try them thanks again.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
Master Chef

Our WalMart here carries it, but not in the regular spice aisle. It's sold in little bags in the Spanish/Mexican food aisle.

However, I don't know if all WalMarts have entire aisles devoted to Spanish/Mexican foods & brands, or if it's only ones like ours where there's a large Hispanic population.

Oh - & the New York Times recently had an entire article on "Pimenton", & it stated that if you couldn't find true "Pimenton" (which, by the way, is slightly smoked), you could substitute hot, sweet, or smoked Hungarian paprika.

And just one more note - that recipe you want to make for Chicken alla Diavola calls for HOT Pimenton, not sweet. It's the "heat" which makes it "Diavola".

Tags
None