Anyone have the "itch" yet? (merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my itch is turning into hives! can't! wait! :wacko: We were at Home Depot this weekend and they had most of the burpee seeds I was going to order! $100 later.... heheheh! I needed some growing light fixtures, and they only had one left. Hope they get in some more!

Well, I got the itch, possibly a little early. Living in Texas, I thought that I would be really, really safe planting a few container tomatoes last weekend. We had really lovely weather, up in the low 80's for several weeks, until this morning :( when the cold front rolled in. Now I have my newly planted tomatoes sitting out there in below 40 degree temp's. What a bummer!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will survive.

3335804381_029a4224ae_m.jpg

Cooksie that is a nice looking tomato plant. Since it is a container plant was it possible to bring inside for the night?

I have seeds and trays sitting on a long table waiting for me to plant into starter trays tomorrow. My daffodils are up and spring is soon here.:)

The same here. I got all my seeds and pots ready and waiting but every morning I wake up and still not quite warm enough to go outside and get busy. I am sooo looking forward to the spring.

our garlic finally came up this week...the spinach overwintered again, so am picking a few leaves every day, mostly for dh's sandwiches, won't be long until there is enough for a salad!!!

Cooksie that is a nice looking tomato plant. Since it is a container plant was it possible to bring inside for the night?

They're pretty heavy. I did drag them into the most protected area, so we'll see.

Shhh ... :( ... Some of us can't see the dirt yet. If I start scratching that itch, I'll bleed to death before it can be satisfied.

My Farmer's Almanac said my peas could go in late March around here ... :ROFLMAO: I think that farmer was growing some wacky weed when he wrote this last year. I know they can handle the cold but I have to be able to get into the ground, right?

On a more serious note, for those of you who have been able to plant peas (or anyone who plans to really), do you let them climb? If so, on what and how do you have it strung? I'm thinking just twine but I'm not sure how to string it. Any good, proven methods? They just take up way to much space when I let them crawl and I end up missing half of the pods!

I have used all kinds of things for my peas--short branches stuck into the dirt, woven wire, posts with string, plastic fencing like they use at construction sites.

For my tomatoes, I use cattle panels, set about a foot apart, with the tomatoes in the middle. I didn't get them put away last fall, so this spring, I planted my peas on both sides of those panels. I am hoping the peas will be done before I need the panels to hold up my tomatoes. Cross your fingers on that timing--I will hate to uproot the peas if they are not done producing.

I just gave in a couple of days ago. I was not pleased with seeds I bought locally the past couple of years. I don't grow much from seed, just some herbs and greens. I know it sounds perfectionist, but I want performance from the seeds I use, so I'm happy with Park. The local lettuce mix I bought did NOT make me a happy planter -- it seemed the bitter greens overwhelmed the more delicate. So this year I've ordered it all from Park, mostly lettuce but some mustard and chard, and both regular and lime basil (the latter is great in Thai dishes)

Unfortunately, that's a problem in many "mixed greens" seed mixes. I've had the same problem with greens such as Arugula & other stronger types quickly outgrowing the milder lettuces & thus overpowering "cut & come again" mixtures. So these days, I mostly grow lettuces separate from other greens.

i too raided home depot. the handyman and i planted on tues. so all the plants and seeds are in the pots . seems early i know but this is so calif. no freezing nights. spent a lot of money on this project so it better produce. he rigged up the pots and upside down planters so they are all near each other. for ease in watering. i have to hold him back he has a tendency to over water. so now it is a waiting game.

i actually just brought my herbs inside (yeah I know) i lost my basil and parsley but ill grow them gain. my chives are coming back strong. I dont think they like the outdoors much.

I cant wait. I got a new place to put the garden this year.

My basil is the first thing to go every year, it is soooo sensitive to cold. However, I have had snow on the ground for months, it melted about a week ago, and there is heaps of healthy, yummy parsley under there! Weird!

Last years mix started to all taste like arugula! I like arugula, but am not planting any this year because it just overwhelmed my lettuce patch the previous two years.

I promised to plant an herb garden for my blind friend this year. She already has a raised bed, and my husband's agreed to help me haul a few extra bags of soil. I'm aiming at aromatic herbs so that she can brush up against them and know what they are. I have a rather large herb garden, and am starting hers with the obvious, from the song. Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Chives grow here like weeds. Her care-giver will actually use them, for herself and for my friend. So it should be fun.

And, yes, it will be another couple of months before we can plant here. Mothers' Day is the tradition. But I'm dreaming!

However, I have had snow on the ground for months, it melted about a week ago, and there is heaps of healthy, yummy parsley under there! Weird!

Parsley is EXTREMELY hardy. I always grow some Italian Flat-Leaf Parsley in large pots on my deck & harvest it year-round - even under snow - until it's 2nd summer when it bolts to seed (parsley is a biennial).

Last years mix started to all taste like arugula! I like arugula, but am not planting any this year because it just overwhelmed my lettuce patch the previous two years. quote]

I love arugula too. It's SO versatile - I use it both in cooked dishes as well as salads. In fact, I think I use it even more in cooking.

Just grow it in a patch by itself & don't let it go to seed (unless you want to save seed to sow the following year), or grow it in containers.

Breezy, I'm trying to think of where to put what this year. When I moved to this house, I immediately knew where my herb garden would be. Right outside the kitchen door. It is a sort of naturally raised garden bed, and I experiment quite a bit with it. Then there is the mint garden. I don't need to tell you about mint. There is a tomato garden. And the lettuce garden is strictly for lettuce. No more arugula! Yes, I like it tossed into angel hair pasta. The reason the lettuce garden is just that is funny. I have to remind my husband every year. There are only four inches of soil there. It is on top of a 150 year old cistern! He tends to not remember that I put a couple of bags of top soil on it every year, and there wasn't a garden there when we moved here (it was just bricks). So the only thing to grow there is lettuce, and we love it. The location is perfect, right outside the kitchen door.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom