Best time to plant roses??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deelady

Executive Chef
Being in the midwest, when is the best time to plant new rose bushes bought from a nursery?

Just wondering when I should start planning for it.

TIA!!:)

Early spring to get the spring rains, so they can be established before it gets hot and dry.

Thank you Leolady! I am still new to this region so I'm not even sure when Spring planting actually starts here! lol Knowing my luck the second I plant them we will get a week of snow afterward! :rolleyes:

Fall or spring are best.
Fall, before frost, and....you get some really GREAT deals on left over plants that look orphaned. But they always have tags attached so you can see what they are and require. You would plant, water well and mulch.
Spring planting after the frost.
Your area will sell what's good for your area when the time is right.
What are you thinking of growing? One of my favorites: Sonya Roses.
We did a great thread last summer. Type in "Who Knows About Roses" in the search. Maybe you'll find some info there that will help you.:)

I would call a garden center and ask them. I live in NE, Ohio and I remember my mom planting roses in September and also spring--May or June. We have gotten snow in June. I vaguely remember my mom doing something special--soaking the roots. The rose bushes came in plastic bags with instructions that she followed. We use to have the most beautiful rose garden until it had to be dug up to put in some drainage tile around the house. I still miss them.

Being in the midwest, when is the best time to plant new rose bushes bought from a nursery?

Just wondering when I should start planning for it.

TIA!!:)

Not until estimated last frost, April 15 or later. Put them in pots and keep them in your garage until then.

Oh I haven't gotten the roses yet, I just meant I will be getting them at a nursery in the future but wasn't sure when to start planning for it.

I have no idea what kind I will be getting yet, I just figured I would select them when at the nursery so I am sure to find a type good for our region.....all I know is I want LOTS of color!! :)

I'm in North Carolina. I put new roses in in Feb/March, but only the ones that have bare roots from the catalogues. You can get away with planting the established, potted ones almost any time during the spring and summer. We have to cover them up with mulch during the winter to keep them safe.

Have fun

My dad always bought the bare roots, potted them up and grew them on in his sun room. Then he set them out around Mother's Day. Here in southern Illinois, the end of April or the first part of May is the ideal time to set them out, although it can be done even at the end of May and first part of June.

Hope I helped! Contact your nursery person for the best date in your area.

By the way Deelady... It's almost never too early to start making your beds for roses--as long as you can dig. Dig deep, put lots of drainage material down deep first, then build your soil back up higher than the ground plane, and contain the top dirt with something like rail road ties. Make it so your roots never stand i water down at the bottom. Your success at growing roses will greatly depend on the beds you make.

Such a wonderful reward. Have fun!

Dee, Dormant container grown or pre-packaged bare root can be planted as soon as your soil is workable. Make sure the site where you intend to plant is in full sun 3/4 of the day. For heavy bloom you'll need to keep your roses on a fertilizer program. But at planting time use a starter fertilizer that is low nitrogen <N> and high phosphorus <P> that will stimulate root growth. Happy roots = happy tops. DO NOT fertilize past early August or you are setting your plants up for cold injury. I could ramble on (Nursery guy by trade. We grow 1/2 million roses/year) Message me if you have more questions.

Back
Top Bottom