Designing dimensions for a plot......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I live in Lehigh Acres Florida. I plan to do a fall vegetable garden. I've essentially narrowed it down to two options with the type of garden I want to create: either a raised bed, or just create a plot.

However, I've no idea how to create the dimensions for a plot. What size plot is ideal for somebody who is doing their first garden? I realize that how big the dimensions need to be depends upon what you're growing in your garden, because every plant has different requirements with the row spacing and plant spacing.

How do you prepare the plot? What steps are necessary to take? Please be specific, but don't overcomplicate things by using a bunch of terminologies with gardening I don't understand. I'm new with gardening, and this will be my first real garden.

This is sort of off topic, but I'll be using a mix of topsoil and fertilizer, since the inherent soil in Florida is abhorrent for gardening. What is the ratio of soil to fertilizer that I should use?

This is what I'll be growing: lettuce (romaine)
spinach
carrots
scallions
onion
cabbage
sugar snap peas
broccoli

Check the thread you posted on 06/20/08-07/05/08, under your other title;Midori888, Raised garden beds.
I, along with others spent an enormous amount of time and effort advising you on these things. I think you now need to walk the walk. Go to the nursery, look at what will be in season when you want to plant. Decide if you want to start from seed, and each packet will tell you on that specific species, spacing, light and water it will need. And if you decide to go with starter plants, the tag in the plant will tell you the same.
Only you will then be able to figure out how much space you need.
You also said you'd be moving to Ft.Meyers. Now Lehigh.
Lehigh is east and inland and your climate will be alittle cooler, as you won't have Gulf winds. You need to correct your zoning.
I can't possibly add more info for you.

Back
Top Bottom