"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Old 04-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
Head Chef
In Michigan morels can be found under oak trees. I live in an RV in an RV resort during the summer in Michigan. Traverse Bay RV - Northern Michigan’s Premiere RV Park - Photos of our Luxury RV Park) We own our lots so we can landscape them. I had someone pour 10 bags of mulch on my lot when I left there in September. In early May of the following spring, I got a call from my neighbor there that there were tons of morels growing on my lot. He asked if he could pick them. When I got to Michigan in late May I discovered that the mulch bags contained shredded oak wood. I couldn't believe that it would have morel spores. Too bad I got there too late to harvest my own morels.

Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
Wow, Drama! That is incredible. Maybe I should order some oak mulch for my yard!

MIOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
Found 6 pounds today!

We spent most of the day in OKC listening to local bands and generally goofing off. When we got home around 5:30 my brother told me he had found about a gallon of morels (and had also bagged a 13 lbs. gobbler.) I jumped on the 4 wheeler and went looking for morels.

None of my usual hotspots yielded a single mushroom and I was just about to go back to the house when I decided to look at a spot on higher ground just in case. We had a minor flood earlier this week and all the low spots were still saturated and covered in debris. About 75 yards up from a place I normally find mushrooms I saw a single morel under an Eastern red cedar tree. As I approached it I saw four or five more in the vicinity.

For the next hour I picked over 6 pounds of morels within a 200 yard x 20 yard area. Most were under cedar trees. None were very far from cedar trees. The ones that were not under cedars were among some very much still dormant sumac scrub.

Cleaning the cedar debris from the morels was a bummer. I won't even think about it tomorrow as I'm pigging out on fresh morels!!

Life is good.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #14
Master Chef
I am green with envy. We live in morel country, but neither of us is able to get out and hunt for them, and our friends who do, don't share.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
shipping morels

Constance: If you can think of a safe way for me to ship you some morels over the next 48 hours let me know. They do not freeze well. At least that has been my experience.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #16
Master Chef
They can be dried in a dehydrator, and packed in plastic bags. Then, they can either be ground into powder, or rehydrated in hot water. The water must be used as it leeches quite a bit of the mushroom flavor.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #17
Executive Chef
Don't remind me about the "flooding" issue. We haven't had any flooding in the house, but, several of the roads into and out of our area where closed due to high water.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote