"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 04-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Morels are here!!

I found 34 wonderful morels today and my brother and my dad found about the same amount. I thought it was too cold here in central Oklahoma for them to come out but they once again proved me wrong. 34 morels amounted to a little more than a pound with the average size being a bit over 2 inches tall.

Should find lots more tomorrow!

Good luck to other fellow mushroom hunters!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
Master Chef

Well, ours have certainly gotten enough rain this year. If anyone can get too them, they oughta be "bigguns"!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
- I'm morel-less *sniffle* *sniffle*

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

So sorry, Kitchenelf. I'm off to the woods to look for more. If you are in central OK this evening stop by for a morel supper!
Old 04-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
Head Chef

I'll be flying to Michigan in mid May for the summer while Morels are still available. I look forward to that every year. I buy them from a private source who hunts them for me.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOguy View Post
I found 34 wonderful morels today and my brother and my dad found about the same amount. I thought it was too cold here in central Oklahoma for them to come out but they once again proved me wrong. 34 morels amounted to a little more than a pound with the average size being a bit over 2 inches tall.

Should find lots more tomorrow!

Good luck to other fellow mushroom hunters!
Fantastic! I'm in Michigan and have to wait 'til Mother's Day, (early May give or take). What time should I show up for dinner? I like mine sauted in a bit of butter and a sprinkle of salt. I'll bring some wine! Sounds like good eats. Congrats on the find.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Drama and Silent: I need to find a reason to visit Michigan in early May! What a great idea to extend the morel hunting season more than a month. My take today was less than half of yesterday's find. I'm not sure what's going on...maybe a little colder last night than the night before. Morels can truly be fickle.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I usually find them to coincide with the mayapples so it will be a couple of weeks. Got a spot for the black morels (a pine grove)that seem to come just ahead of the white (mixed pine and tulip polar). They do over lap their appearance and then the little semiliberata (mixed hardwood) finish the harvest . What companion trees and plants are where you find yours?
Old 04-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
Senior Cook

We have found them along the riverbank, in our forest and even right in the yard. They are easy to spot growing in the green grass. No rhyme or reason to where they'll pop up I just hope lots of them pop up this year. Maybe with all the rain it will be a bumper crop this year!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Dead or dying elm trees for some reason seem to have some positive affect on the morels. Loamy creekbanks with mixed hardwoods are my favorite hunting areas. Colder weather moved in Friday night and it really slowed their progress. The variety we have here is the yellow morel. When they first come up they are actually more white than yellow.