"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,598
What I've Started So Far

I think it was Jeeks that mentioned how many of what plants he wanted to grow this year. For me, that has been one of the hardest things to figure out, how much of what to plant so we actually eat most of what we grow. After 3 decades, I've gotten some what of a grip on it, but it still is a challange.

Three weeks ago I started about 80 onion seedlings from last years seeds. And yesterday I started a flat of 3 different onion seeds, 6 flat leaf parsley plants, and 12 celery plants. The problem I have with onions is that they do not get very large, so this year I started them way early to see if I can't get bigger bulbs this year. For the celery, I do not blanch the plants. I did the very first year I planted celery, but not again, too much trouble/work and no benefit. I use bottom heat on my soon to be seedlings, so I hope to report some new plants soon!

__________________

__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 503
beth, I'm jealous! I have problems getting even one onion to grow. Zone 9 vegetable gardening is new to me. If we learn by our mistakes, then I should have become a fountain of knowledge by now.

I can make excuses - too much rain, not enough sun, too much heat - the truth is I haven't figured out what to do.

I'm looking forward to your experiences, as well as others, to guide me in the right direction.

Thanks for sharing.
__________________

__________________
simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I think it was Jeeks that mentioned how many of what plants he wanted to grow this year. For me, that has been one of the hardest things to figure out, how much of what to plant so we actually eat most of what we grow. After 3 decades, I've gotten some what of a grip on it, but it still is a challange.

Three weeks ago I started about 80 onion seedlings from last years seeds. And yesterday I started a flat of 3 different onion seeds, 6 flat leaf parsley plants, and 12 celery plants. The problem I have with onions is that they do not get very large, so this year I started them way early to see if I can't get bigger bulbs this year. For the celery, I do not blanch the plants. I did the very first year I planted celery, but not again, too much trouble/work and no benefit. I use bottom heat on my soon to be seedlings, so I hope to report some new plants soon!
Beth are you thinning the onion plants?My dad was a fanatic about thinning and he use to have some wonderful large stockton red onions..

kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
JMediger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,178
Last year I started tomatoes and sunflowers without much luck. We keep our house very cool (about 68) so maybe they didn't get enough heat. I think this year, I'll just get tomatoe plants from the local green house.

I would like to try onions though ... what is the reasoning behind starting them now Beth? I am a zone 4 gardener, can I start them in the ground when I plant my beans and peas? Thank you for sharing your knowledge!
__________________
JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Beth are you thinning the onion plants?My dad was a fanatic about thinning and he use to have some wonderful large stockton red onions..

kadesma
I'm not quite sure what you mean by thinning the onions kades. I started the seeds in a 2 inch deep 14"x24" flat and I intend to replant them later to space them out. Will that do it?
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
I would like to try onions though ... what is the reasoning behind starting them now Beth? I am a zone 4 gardener, can I start them in the ground when I plant my beans and peas? Thank you for sharing your knowledge!
I believe the bulbing of onions are triggered by day length. And in order to get the onions to bulb, they need to be at a certain growth stage by mid summer. So the seeds need to be started early in order to accomplish this. Where I live in Ohio, I can not start onions from seeds in the garden, they would not grow much past scallions! It is more common to buy sets to plant out in the garden.
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
JMediger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,178
Aha - Thank you! I've always seen them in the store with the potatoes (little onions and potatoes). Will those give me bigger onions or still just the scallion size? I'm guessing we are similar growing areas ...
__________________
JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean by thinning the onions kades. I started the seeds in a 2 inch deep 14"x24" flat and I intend to replant them later to space them out. Will that do it?
My dad thined by taking out every other plant then you can replant them with a larger spacing in between, he did this as soon as the plants got big enough to pull with out breaking them, this he said gave them room to expand and grow, he did the same thing when the were in the ground this gives them more room and you get nicer sized onions..
kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
Aha - Thank you! I've always seen them in the store with the potatoes (little onions and potatoes). Will those give me bigger onions or still just the scallion size? I'm guessing we are similar growing areas ...
Actually, Beth is in southern Ohio, one or two zones south of you, depending on how far south she is.

Tomatoes don't like to be cool - it stunts their growth. I'm in zone 7 and we don't put them out till mid-April at least - the soil temperature should be 65* or more. HTH.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.