"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Old 09-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Mashed potatoes

Instead of butter and sour cream in the mashed potatoes, try using 4 or so ounces of cream cheese, 1/4 cup Ranch dressing mix, and pepper to taste. After you have mashed up the potatoes add about 4 diced up green onions. I thin you'll like them.

carolelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:32 AM   #12
Burgers cooked well done.

My understanding is that ground beef should be cooked through well done until there is no pink. I forgot the temp...160F or something like that. The reason that ground beef should be cooked more than a steak is that there is a lot more surface area in ground beef. Also more chances of contamination of this surface area due to more processing of ground beef than a steak.

tropical cooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:34 AM   #13
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
Mashed Tatties

Originally Posted by Lococatlady
Does anyone have any good hamburger patties recipes, not the same old, same old, and a good recipes for mashed potatoes.
For mashed tatties, I peel how ever many you need, say 6, then I boil until tender, with a dash of salt, after they are tender, I mash them with butter,cream or milk,pepper, and the special ingrediant,mayo, or mayonaisse,for people who do not know, and a bit of garlic,or onions,thinly diced, if you want,you do not have to use these, but mayo is the greatest, everyone says they are the best, but I dont know as my son and I are used to the mayo, we love it, but I am willing to here anyone elses oppinion, and there ideas and new resipies. Parsley and chives are an other great ingredient.
SpiritWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:09 AM   #14
Head Chef
Mashed potatoes, make your mashed potatoes by adding some butter and milk. Then dice up onion,red pepper, green pepper and garlic and cook in butter until tender and add to potatoes.
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #15
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
For Mashed spuds I always do my fav. recipie then add extras later. First I cook potatoes in boiling salted water,then when cooked I mash with a good dollop of butter or Margarine,then add some milk or cream,for a nice creamy texture,add some pepper( a good shake of that ), then one of my secrets is a good dollop of mayonaise(or if you dont like mayo, some sour cream, I love mayo), mixing all the time after each ingrediant, once it is all mixed together and is nice and creamy, keeping on a low heat, just to keep warm, add what ever else you like. Such as: small diced onion,shallots or spring onion,diced ham or cooked bacon (very finely diced),some curry(yummy thats is really nice)parsley or chives,grated cheese, parmy is really yummy,or one of my favourites is canned tuna or salmon its so nice, you can really add what ever you like, whatever takes your fancy, try anything as long as it is still creamy when you are finished, you will love it. We are having parsley mash tonite with grilled chicken and corn cob ( YUMM ), I hope these ideas will help, please let me know what u think, I hope you enjoy them.
SpiritWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #16
Master Chef
Pat about a handful of good burger or ground chuck into a patty about 5-6 inches in diameter, and about 1 to 1-1/4 inch thick. Salt & pepper one side, and put that side toward the heat, whatever the source. Do not move until bottom is nicely browned and burger looks cooked 1/2 of the way through. Turn, and salt and pepper the other side. Partially cover with lid. When done, remove from pan, top with cheese of your choice, and cover with lid until the cheese is melted.

"I like mine with lettuce and tomato...
Heinz 57 and French-fried potatoes...
Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer...
Good Gawd Almighty, which way do I steer???"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheeseburger in Paradise.gif
Views:	132
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	2568  
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #17
Senior Cook
Ive tried so many recipes but a lot of them mask the flavor of the beef. You want something that enhances the flavor rather than mask it. I know a lot of people like to put bread soaked in milk in their burger meat but i dont' like this at all. I think it starts to taste like meat loaf rather than a good burger. All i do is to take the meat and mix it with garlic flavored teraki (maybe a little extra granulated garlic) and salt and pepper. I think grill it over charcoal with mesquite and then top it with applewood smoked bacon, tomato and some chipotle mayonnaise and i don't think you can get any better.

If you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen!!!
ncage1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:44 PM   #18
Assistant Cook
OK -

A topic on which I can actually contribute!

Because E. coli et al contamination occurs on the surface of a cut, and grinding ensures that the surface gets buried deep within the pattie, NEVER let any portion of the pattie stay pink - unless you're feeling overly healthy, and are looking for a challenge - 160F all the way through (as the Jack-in-the-Box chain found out after killing a couple of kids (thier operating procedures, again, IIRC, actually called for keeping the grill cool to improve profit margin - raw meat is cheaper to produce than cooked meat)).
Note: Yes, with solid chunks of meat, searing the surface will kill any/all potential E. coli bugs - so, for those who like their meat on the raw side, stick with stuff which is not ground.

And, from a really great burger joint that had a bad business plan (Hippo Burger, SF, CA):

20% fat. Period. I don't care what you are thinking, a good burger is not healthy. I was taught to evaluate meat by looking for "marbling" - anyone else remember that fat=good?

Minimum handling - just enough to create the pattie - any more will bruise it.
(I'm just reporting what the man said, I have no idea how one could "bruise" dead muscle).

Sear both sides (2-5 secs, IIRC), than reduce to medium heat.

I will now go back to lurking, and, hopefully, learning...

bushy is offline   Reply With Quote