Hamburger sauces needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I am tired of using ketchup and other things on my hamburger. I would like the recipe of a flavorfull sauce that isn't too complicated. Any ideas?

Try Heinz 57 sauce. No mixing, no cooking, just open the bottle and pour. It's made for steak so it's great on a burger.

Capture_02e48bc7-c8ce-4035-a6e7-0d8a738f5292.jpg

Chunky salsa alone or mixed with mayonnaise and a little sour cream.

Green olive sauce made using roughly chopped stuffed green olives mixed with mayonnaise and a little olive brine.

Prepared horseradish mixed with mayonnaise.

Tomato sauce and grated Parmesan cheese.

Ketchup with a spoonful of spicy chili garlic sauce mixed in.

Forget the sauce and top the burger with sautéed, mushrooms, peppers, onions, etc…

Poke around in your refrigerator and see what you can find.

It’s really only limited by your taste and imagination.

Prepared horseradish mixed with mayonnaise.

Ketchup with a spoonful of spicy chili garlic sauce mixed in.

Forget the sauce and top the burger with sautéed, mushrooms, peppers, onions, etc…

Poke around in your refrigerator and see what you can find.

It’s really only limited by your taste and imagination.
Those are my favorites above. With the sauteed mushrooms, peppers, and onions I will also sometimes add a touch of roasted garlic aioli. I am pretty simple with mine (some people make their own mayonnaise) and I just roast the garlic and add it to some jarred mayo, then whir it in my food processor (or with the stick blender).

Hey OP, I know a lot of people don't grow herbs, but if you know someone who does or do so yourself you can use fresh parsley with garlic and peppers (look for a recipe online) and make chimichurri. That goes well on steak, so why not on a hamburger? I also think a mayo-chimichurri blend would taste good and probably help bind the chimi and keep it from dripping. Although I do not mind a messy burger!

Rather than a sauce, my first in-laws opened up my eyes with these for the hamburgers... aside from the ket sup, relish and mustard...

and not just a slice of tomato, onion, dill pickle and lettuce there were also...

a slice of apple (usually granny smith)
and a slice of orange (usually naval for it's size)

It was - and still is - very refreshing and delicious! nice crunch with the apple, satisfying!

For some reason we didn't often do bacon - no idea why not as, I personally, usually order it when having one out. Maybe just less cooking at the time.

A bit of ketchup mixed with ranch salad dressing. Maybe a dash of garlic powder.

Alternatively, try mixing a little A1 steak sauce in your ketchup, or you can do great things starting with BBQ sauce.

I read somewhere that McDonald's Big Mac sauce is ketchup and thousand island dressing mixed with the smallest dab of pickle relish.
I always thought Thousand Island dressing had pickle relish in it? I am not a fan, but that's what I always thought. Haven't eaten it in years so not sure.

I always thought Thousand Island dressing had pickle relish in it? I am not a fan, but that's what I always thought. Haven't eaten it in years so not sure.
You know more about it than me then! It was simply something that I recently read as I was idly surfing the web. I just thought it was funny that it was the "secret sauce."

Last edited:
I read somewhere that McDonald's Big Mac sauce is ketchup and thousand island dressing mixed with the smallest dab of pickle relish.

You can make a pretty decent thousand island dressing by mixing mayo, ketchup, and pickle relish. Sounds like the Big Mac sauce is just one variation on the ratios of mayo to ketchup to pickle relish. BTW, I have read more than once that McD's "secret sauce" is just thousand island dressing.

Kinda cool to think of thousand island dressing that way. It means it's easy to put your own spin on it. Add some minced onion, add some capers, add a splash of cider vinegar, use a sweet relish or a dill pickle relish or some chow chow or some chopped dill pickles. You get the idea.

BTW, that works with remoulade too. Extra basic remoulade: Mayo, pickle relish, a bit of mustard or turmeric. All the add ins that I mentioned for the thousand island dressing work here too. Except with remoulade, I really don't want the relish to be sweet.

There is no ketchup in McDonalds secret sauce. It is made with mayonnaise, yellow mustard, sweet pickle relish and white vinegar. The slight red colouring comes from paprika.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom