"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Old 04-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
You can make this dish with sausages in place of the chicken.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:40 PM   #12
Sous Chef
Sausage casserole?

Slice up some thick herby sausages into about 2" chunks.
Peel, slice and parboil some potatoes and carrots
Fry some onions
Put all in a casserole dish ( I often add any leftover vegs.
Use the vegs water with a stock cube added to make some gravy
Pour over the contents of the casserole dish.
Spice it up with whatever spices you like
Stick in the oven and cook.
Serve with some pasta or rice or just extra vegs or mini yorkshires or dumplings.

csalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Sausage pizza - sausage, mozzarella, green peppers, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes & oregano

Sausage, peppers, onions & provalone on crusty bread/rolls

Sausage meatballs - Crumble the sausage, combine with peeled diced apples, breadcrumbs & sage - serve over noodles.

Sausage Paella:
Sausage Paella Recipe

Here's another idea (you could add spinach to the mix, if you like):

Baked Ziti with Tomato, Mozzarella & Sausage
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #14
Master Chef
Those are a bunch of great recipes. So I'll give a humble, but tasty one. Beef sausages are great when you quorter them, and add them to a Minestroni-style soup. You can also replace the corned beef or ham from a New England boiled dinner. If you are unfamiliar with this meal, it it made with fresh cabbage, usually chopped into bite-sized chunks, potaotes, fresh onion, again sliced into chunks, celery, salt and pepper to taste, some like ruttabega or chunks of turnip added. This is all boiled along with corned beef or ham into a very tasty dinner. My Dad used to make it with venison, which shows that the variety of meat isn't written in stone. I'd think you sausage would work well in this dish.

Other ideas are to slice the sausage, and place it, along with a bit of butter, sliced potatoes, sliced onions, and sliced carrots into aluminum foil to make foil, or hobo dinners. Or if you want to be a bit more elegant, bake them en papillote (sp).

If you chop them finely, you can add them to a ground or shredded beef mixture and serve them up nachos style, or in a burrito, or taco.

I hopt that some or all of these ideas gives you more to do with your sausage.

Oh, one more thing that is a real comfort food; wrap them in raw bread dough, let it rise around them, and bake until golden brown for pigs-in-the-blanket. You can put some cheese in with them before wrapping if you want.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:53 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
Thumbs up

Thanks for all of your various input. Such variety and good ideas. Something there for all - even my family.
superchef69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:27 AM   #16
Head Chef
thanks for some ideas

Thanks. I was looking through this. It's Friday and tomorrow is shopping day. I have some kielbasa, and looking for something to do with it. I usually either fry it and than we make sandwiches with mustart ect. Or I mix it with a combo of chili sauce, brown sugar, can of crushed pineapple slightly drained and simmer in the crock pot. Sometimes I'll fry them a little first though to get that nice fried/brown texture. After reading through this - I might try this later:

I have everything, but peppers. I do have a Roma Tomatoe though.
I probably should really have the peppers though huh? Well maybe I'll get to the store later today. It's quite rainy out there.
legend_018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #17
Master Chef
Ok, Southern and Cajun ideas coming your way. Redbeans and rice with sausage is to die for (and not too unhealthy), chicken and sausage gumbo, we also love chopped sausage mixed in with homemade macaroni and cheese ( only use a mix as a last resort or lack of time) and our all time favorite---sausage with iron cast skillet pan cornbread and baked beans and a salad on the side.

The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote