Meatloaf in a pan or in free form?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Mom used to make her's in loaf pan, but I follow the form it in a pan and turn the loaf out onto a baking sheet pan.

I use a grater and grate the onion into mine you get the no chunks that way.

The torn bread with milk will work, it does add some moisture, just be sure to use a white bread.

Re: pans or free-form, it depends on what kind of meatloaf I'm making. If I'm just using one package of ground turkey (between 1 & 1-1/3 pounds) I'll normally use a regular loaf pan (no insert or anything). Sometimes I'll even use a glass pie dish for a plain small meatloaf & cut it into "pie wedges" to serve. I'll also normally use a regular loaf pan if I'm making a layered or stuffed meatloaf, since the pan helps to keep the filling from leaking out. But if I'm making a meatloaf recipe that calls for around 3# of ground meat or so, then I definitely do it free-form in a large baking dish.

As far as the vegetables - I ALWAYS saute them first. Have never just added chopped veggies raw to a meatloaf mix.

I agree, it's not the pan.

James Beard tells us that Meatloaf is the Americanized version of a terrine. Myself, after I learned that the way I made them changed and the flavor went way, way up: a terrine is supposed to have fat, so the pan isn't the issue.

The thing about fat and the American Meatloaf is that it has no real flavor (especially when you use meat bought at a supermarket, that is, factory beef). I add pork meat and pork fat and lean beef to make meatloaf now, I grind it up in my food processor and it gives me fantastic results. If you can't eat pork, then try veal.

I agree, it's not the pan.

James Beard tells us that Meatloaf is the Americanized version of a terrine.

My God, you set my brain afire by dangling that word TERRINE before my eyes. Having never heard of it, I checked it out and found a whole new concept of cookery I never dreamed existed. I became convinced, as I flitted from page to page, that in a former life, I had been French chef fighting to emerge from my current blue-collar eating style. When I described the kind of meatloaf I hoped I could learn to cook, I was unconsciously describing some of the more noble characteristics of a meat terrine. However, the onerous problem in this style of cooking is the unappetizing price of the receptacle in which the extraordinary ingredients (trust me, the word extraordinary is not too extreme) are placed. I did, however, find one bargain for only $98.63 online. The terrine itself is exotic, and elegant, and looks like Louis XIV designed it himself.

I urge all those within reach of these words to Google the word "terrine" and be prepared for a whole new concept of what constitutes food and how to make it edible. Frankly, I almost threw up a time or two, but then I am excessively squeamish.

The bottom line is, I had more fun reading about terrine the pan and terrine the style of cooking, than I did reading Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind."

Well, enough of all this foreplay, it's time for action. I'm going with Andy M's modifications of my previously unspectacular recipe. I'm incorporating his genius as follows:

1-1/2 lbs. chuck
3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
1 cup of mushrooms
1 T. soy sauce
1/2 t. thyme
1/2 to 1/3 grated cheese
1/2 cup ketchup
S & P to taste

I intend to saute my veggies first, I'm dumping my pan in favor of a freeform meatloaf, and I'm expecting a soul satisfying climax after courting this recipe for so long. I intend to seduce it Thursday when I get back home after eating my usual third rate victuals on the road. Friday, when I make a sandwich with my leftover meatloaf, I'll know if I have a winner. If so, I may write a book about how to make meatloaf (of course, I'll cite sources).

P.S. To immortalize the delightful observations of Qsis (Lee) above, I will add an egg to my recipe in her honor.

It's true, terrines are AMAZING but they don't have to be expensive to make. If you have Julia Child's 'The Way To Cook' or her "Mastering The Art of French Cooking', you'll find a lot of helpful advise and recipes that won't break the bank.

Well, enough of all this foreplay, it's time for action. I'm going with Andy M's modifications of my previously unspectacular recipe. I'm incorporating his genius as follows:

1-1/2 lbs. chuck
3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
1 cup of mushrooms
1 T. soy sauce
1/2 t. thyme
1/2 to 1/3 grated cheese
1/2 cup ketchup
S & P to taste

I intend to saute my veggies first, I'm dumping my pan in favor of a freeform meatloaf, and I'm expecting a soul satisfying climax after courting this recipe for so long. I intend to seduce it Thursday when I get back home after eating my usual third rate victuals on the road. Friday, when I make a sandwich with my leftover meatloaf, I'll know if I have a winner. If so, I may write a book about how to make meatloaf (of course, I'll cite sources).

P.S. To immortalize the delightful observations of Qsis (Lee) above, I will add an egg to my recipe in her honor.

I never promised a soul satisfying climax from meatloaf. If that happens, I may try this combination myself.

mignon, you had an egg listed in your original recipe...

Mignon, even though Andy is a bubble-buster, you still get points for the egg thing! :)

God speed!

Lee

Yes - please don't leave out the egg!! Otherwise, you most likely will end up with burger crumbles once you go to slice the loaf - the egg is the binder.

Good luck Minion you seem to be asking alot of a Meat Loaf

I never make the same meatloaf twice... what I like about it is you can flavor it any way you want and sort of use what you have on hand. I like to do it sort of middle eastern with dill or mint yogurt sauce on the side or Italian style with tomato sauce cooked on top

I always go free form in a cast iron pot usually in sort of a round dome shape this way I get alot of crispy surface

Good Luck Mignon!

One thought on the egg ... I mix my egg, bread crumbs, milk (I use 2 Tbl) and dry seasonings (I use basil & oregano) before I do anything else and then let it sit. The milk and egg have time to hydrate everything before I add the mixture to my meat and veggie mixture.

We'll be anxiously awaiting the results!

I always go free form in a cast iron pot usually in sort of a round dome shape this way I get alot of crispy surface

I'm all for the "crispy surface" too, but I need to divine a way to keep my meatloaf out of the puddle of melted fat that will accumulate. During my earlier readings, one savvy cook stated she placed the meatloaf on a bed of crumpled aluminum foil to keep it out of the oil. Not too elegant, but I guess it'd work.

they sell small wire racks that might do the trick. like a backpackers grill.

i do a free form, in a glass baking dish. a small rack would fit nicely.

also, i've found that sweet onions really does the trick in my meatloafs. i haven't seen them in a while, but try to find ny bold sweet onions, or mayan gold sweets.

they're so mild and sweet that you can add them to the meat mixture without sweating or carmelizing.

I'm like the guy who didn't know how to swim and finally learned the dog-paddle. Now I want to do a swan dive off a 25' board. I finally made my meatloaf yesterday and had a cold meatloaf sandwich today. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't invite any of you guys for lunch — not yet. First of all it tasted bland, no zip. The appearance was quite attractive, the top had a nice crust despite the fact I put nothing on it. The grain was good, I succeeded in slicing the loaf without it crumbling.

Unable to conjure up a proper receptacle to cook free-form, I went with my two piece 9x5 meatloaf pan with holed insert. The first lesson I learned was that 1.5 lbs. of meat isn't enough, at least not in my pan. Two pounds would be okay, 2.5 would be better. An egg and half cup of tomato sauce was not enough moisture to cope with .75 of a cup of plain bread crumbs. I ended up tossing in a half cup of my beer to make the mixture more pliable. Had I included the mushrooms and grated cheese suggested by Andy M, the loaf would probably have been more exciting. Let me give you the recipe I went with and solicit further suggestions. Before I forget, let me offer three other other observations. I couldn't taste the Worcester or the Thyme, but I could taste the beer (I liked it). Also, I sautéed the onions and green peppers separately with the Thyme in a tablespoon of olive oil until they were super soft before I introduced them into the mixture (the amount was too subtle, I think). I let the bread crumbs soak in the beaten egg and liquids until the liquids disappeared. The recipe:

I lb. beef + .5 lb. pork.
.75 cup plain bread crumbs
i cup onions,
.5 cup bell pepper,
.5 cup beer
.5 cup tomato sauce
.5 t. Thyme
1 T. Worcester sauce
1 T. Olive oil
S&P to taste
i hour at 350 degrees (maybe 375 would have been better)

Where did I go wrong? Remember, I have no imagination — if you offer suggestions, don't say more, say how much more.

I'd go with a smaller amount of bread crumbs and more thyme and Worcestershire. Try double the amounts. Also, try the cheese.

How did you do the vegetation? Did you process it or just chop it up?

A pinch of cayenne pepper and more salt and pepper will help.

Okay - if I were going to make your recipe to my taste, this is how I'd amend it - without even changing the amount of meat.

I'd increase the tomato sauce to a cup (aka one 8 oz. can). Or I'd use a small jar of "pizza sauce" for more "zip". I'd also use about a cup, or one small/medium size bell pepper, about a teaspoon of dried thyme (or a tablespoon of chopped fresh), 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, & several dashes of hot sauce (Tabasco or whatever your favorite is), along with several dashes of seasoned salt. Sometimes in place of the hot sauce I use several sprinkles of crushed red pepper flakes. I frequently add up to a cup of grated cheese as well (cheddar, feta, mozzarella, whatever). And of course the egg & bread crumbs (I usually use one cup of commercial seasoned bread crumbs for 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of meat).

And in case you don't want to keep making & trying what might be sub-par meat loaves, here's a tip that I don't think anyone else has mentioned yet. While it adds a little prep time & another pan to wash, it can be worth it when you're experimenting: After you've made your meatloaf mix, heat some oil in a small skillet (or use the one you sauteed your veggies in) & fry up a small "tasting size" patty of your mix. It'll help you tell what you might want to add more of before you cook the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom