"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 09-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
I'm in Taiwan right now. I've been wondering how things are not expensive here compared to the states. Over here its all bartering.

When I'm in the states, haha bike to get groceries and save gas money, but everything in the LA area is expensive. The asian supermarket is far away so I have to buy things at whole foods or something.

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:11 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
I just lower my grocery bill by eating out more.
hahahaha! You're bad..........

Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
All the stores are within a 5 mile radius, and yes, for the most part the prices are better at the smaller shops. In some cases, it's the service and quality that wins.
I'm starting to do the same. One supremarket has a nice produce section but their meat is overpriced. The chicken is $2-3 pp higher than another store.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #34
Master Chef

First off, I ALWAYS have a weekly meal plan. This enables me to use up any leftovers (say, from a roast chicken) efficiently & in as tasty a way as possible.

Second, I keep my grocery list on my computer, under different headings (Dairy, Produce, etc.) & add to it as I discover I'm running low on something. My weekly meal plan is on their too. Then I just print it out & take it shopping with me. However, I'm not a slave to this, & if I come across an unadvertised special or something that I suddenly have a taste for that's a good deal, I definitely snap it up. Many of my meals are things (like pasta dishes) that can easily wait until the following week.

I do nearly all my "basics" shopping at our local WalMart. Their prices for brand-name items are frequently half what other supermarkets charge, their selection (particularly for specialty ethnic-cooking items) is excellent, & the produce is fresh.

Since it's just my husband & I, I've pretty much gotten out of coupon-cutting. Quite frankly, rarely do I come across coupons for anything we actually use. However, I do go thru the weekly supermarket flyers, & even receive one weekly flyer via e-mail. This enables me to choose the market with the most of what I need (outside of WalMart) & do the rest of the week's shopping there. With gas prices + the time limitations I have, there is no way I'm going to hop around all over the place on shopping days - lol!

Outside of that, I think the fact that my husband doesn't eat any red meat also keeps our grocery bill way down. Poultry, seafood, & vegetarian dishes are a lot less expensive than beef, veal, pork, & lamb. Healthier in the long run as well.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Red face lowering the grocery bill

Some things that work well for me.
1.Stick to the list.
2.Shop the current store flyer specials.I usually sit down on the weekend and look through many local store flyers.
3.Try not to waste anything,leftovers and so forth already in the fridge
4.Go through cupboards,see what you have and come up with something for a meal.
5.Buy items that can be used for several different types of meals.eg chicken which could be used in a stir fry...breasts in another meal and such.
6.Dont shop when you are hungry...as the temptation to over indulge is there.
7.Stay away from the frozen freezer isle with prepackaged items as these are expensive and not that nuticiouis.I freeze as much as i can and only shop every 3 weeks.(just 2 of us,no kids).
8.Shop the outside perimeter of the grocery store.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I'm starting to do the same. One supremarket has a nice produce section but their meat is overpriced. The chicken is $2-3 pp higher than another store.
You have to do some homework, but usually, it's just once, and it pays off. Plus, you get the added bonus of getting to know the shopkeepers, as well. Andfor the days when I really crave fish, I have 2 fish mongers to choose from!
Old 09-14-2008, 01:27 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

Best tip I can contribute is to "read this forum"
The better you know how to cook the less gets wasted and every possible dollar goes into feeding you and your family and not into the garbage.

There is a cooking contest I have heard about where every chef is given a basket of food and each chef must use all the ingredients to make a whole meal.
They have a couple of hours to prepare this meal.
Here's the catch; the chefs do not know what is going to be in their basket!

Each chef must be a "master" in order to use up everything they are given.

Go out and buy what is seasonally "cheap" and become a master of these ingredients.

Go out and buy what is "On Sale" and become a master of these ingredients.

Your meals will be distinct with the seasons and your food bills will go down when you cook with this "basket" you are given.

I once heard an interview with a well known french chef.
The interviewer marveled at all the things this chef could do with a simple onion.
The chef explained that when they were growing up all they had were onions.
So they became very creative with them in order to not get sick of eating them.
Simply put the chef used and used well, what he had in his "basket".

If you take this technique to it's limits, you will be able to go to the supermarket and buy whatever is "on sale", from meat to veggies, poultry, fruit and fish and come home with your bargains, what ever they happen to be, and prepare a solid, nutritionally complete, good tasting meal from your "basket"!

Good Luck
Old 09-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to budsmama
If you have a dollar general store go there 1st then go get what's left on your list you could not get at dollar general at regular gro store.

Also a good salvage/bent can store can save a good bit but have to watch dates and condition of goods.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:32 AM   #39
Head Chef

I buy all of my meat in bulk and divide it at home, on can goods that I use a lot I buy
by the case. I bake all my own bread. I shop once a month for the esentials and go to the farmers mkt. once a week for produce. I manage to live on about $200.00 amonth
and all I have is my ssi check once a month. I shop two different storesboth close to home
Old 09-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I shop at several stores and buy certain things at each one. I had to start getting sugar at SuperWalmart, because I found that I was paying about the same at Save A Lot, but it was only a four pound bag instead of the regular five. It sure looked the same.

I get the 10# bag of chicken legs. I cut apart and repackage the thighs in dinner size portions, and I bag the drumsticks for use in soup. Usually this is the cheapest chicken, and usually gives me about 6 to 10 meals worth, not counting leftovers.

Buy the jumbo packs of meat when that style is already on sale, and get another 20 cents or so off. Separate into dinner size packages (freezer bags).

Save A Lot usually has the best price on Jenny-O turkey ham. $1.98/lb! I slice off two 1/2" to 3/4" slabs and package for Ham & Beans or Ham & Mac. The rest makes great sandwiches. Looks and tastes just like ham, and isn't too salty.

Some things are cheaper at the $ Tree. Be sure you know the regular price though, sometimes it's more expensive, i.e., mustard for $1, grocery store $.79 on sale. It is one of the 3 stores I shop at, the only problem is that things aren't always available.