Grocery deals!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a very hard time using digital flyers. Just can't stand flipping the screens. With my short term memory malfunction I can't remember from store to store what's on special.
What's worse is they've stopped them here (and my granddaughter used to delivered them). They still have them in the store but that means, of course, you must go from store to store to read them.
I write down what I want while looking at the online flyer. Here it's scrolling, no flipping. I wouldn't like that. We still get flyers in the mail but mine get used to catch grease when I cook bacon for fry chicken/fish.

Scrolling or flipping makes no never mind to me. Still extremely annoying. I'm certainly not going to "jot down" all the specials in one just to see if they are even on special in the next.
I'm just an annoying old biddy who can't seem to change.

Scrolling or flipping makes no never mind to me. Still extremely annoying. I'm certainly not going to "jot down" all the specials in one just to see if they are even on special in the next.
I'm just an annoying old biddy who can't seem to change.
I don't jot down all the specials, just the ones I want. Usually my list has only about 7 items (per store) on it. I usually go to 2 different stores anyway to get different items. But they're 1/4 mile from each other and 5 miles from home.

Today I went to 1 store just for mushrooms, smoked salmon, salsa, and toothpaste. I went to the other store for pita bread, tortilla chips, and cheese.

You're not an old biddy and you like what you like.

tweety-bird-cute.gif

awww - thank you, you're so sweet to say that.

And the toothpaste was only $1 a tube so I bought 4! The mushrooms were cremini and they were $3.29 lb. The salsa was a 24 oz tub of refrigerated fresh salsa and it was only .99 cents. Nothing else was on sale. Oh yeah I bought horseradish, too.

I don't like the electronic flyers for grocery stores either, and I usually prefer electronic versions of stuff. They need to rethink how they make them.

It's the digital coupons that drive me crazy. I'll see what I think is a great deal and then wham! I see it's a digital coupon. I was told by a Safeway manager that if I just ask for the digital deal, the cashiers will give it to me, but they get so annoyed when I ask. So I just quit. Meantime I have no idea how to get digital coupons, but I hate apps on my phone, so I probably will never learn.

I haven't seen a really good deal at a store in a long time. I just picked up two cartons of extra large eggs for what I thought was the price of $1.79. Turns out the first carton was $1.79 and additional cartons are over $5. I put one back. So now I need more eggs. I can afford $5 for eggs, but it's the principle of the thing. The day I pay over $5 for a carton of eggs!

I have a 20" monitor on my desktop so I don't need reading glasses to see what's on sale. The paper flyers I can't read without my glasses on!

It's the digital coupons that drive me crazy. I'll see what I think is a great deal and then wham! I see it's a digital coupon. I was told by a Safeway manager that if I just ask for the digital deal, the cashiers will give it to me, but they get so annoyed when I ask. So I just quit. Meantime I have no idea how to get digital coupons, but I hate apps on my phone, so I probably will never learn.

I haven't seen a really good deal at a store in a long time. I just picked up two cartons of extra large eggs for what I thought was the price of $1.79. Turns out the first carton was $1.79 and additional cartons are over $5. I put one back. So now I need more eggs. I can afford $5 for eggs, but it's the principle of the thing. The day I pay over $5 for a carton of eggs!
You don't have to have apps to clip digital coupons, you can go to the store's website through your phone's internet browser. You just have to have an online account with a username and password. Then you can login and clip the digital coupons.

I love my computer, but I have no idea how you "clip" digital coupons. If it involves a phone, I may be out of luck. My phone is about 6 years old and it's a $12 phone. It doesn't like to work much these days and I can't even get reception on it unless I'm standing outside.

I love my computer, but I have no idea how you "clip" digital coupons. If it involves a phone, I may be out of luck. My phone is about 6 years old and it's a $12 phone. It doesn't like to work much these days and I can't even get reception on it unless I'm standing outside.
You can do it on your computer, I was just letting you know you don't have to use any apps. You clip them in your account so it's attached digitally to your loyalty card. You just have to scan your loyalty card or enter the number associated with your account at checkout.

I'll have to look into that. I missed a great deal on bacon the other day because it was digital.

The thing is, I was saw a sign for the Clearly Canadian drinks that I love. It was 2 for $5. So naturally, I snapped up four of them. But then they told me that it was a digital coupon and when I went back to look, that is indeed what it said, in print about the size of a pinhead. But I do know those bottles weren't in the flyer, so sometimes the store puts in digital coupons on their products right there in the store and they aren't digital coupons on their website.

Here's an example from a local grocery in my area (there were dozens more listed that I didn't screenshot). Most of these digital coupons are not listed in the flyer.
20240208_015559.jpg

Here's a different store Again, only partial screenshot and again, most of these are not listed in the fliyer.
20240208_020321.jpg

Reduced produce today, $1 large cauliflower, $1 /10 bananas in a bag, 2 bags of apples $1/3 lbs. Collards $1/bunch x 4, $0.99/lb broccoli x 3 lbs. $11 today.

Just got back from shopping. I wanted to get a whole pork loin. Supermarket price was $3.99/Lb., Costco price was $1.99/Lb. Half price! Pork tenderloins were about $0.40/Lb cheaper.

Half&Half is also about $0.40/Qt cheaper at Costco.

Just got back from shopping. I wanted to get a whole pork loin. Supermarket price was $3.99/Lb., Costco price was $1.99/Lb. Half price! Pork tenderloins were about $0.40/Lb cheaper.

Half&Half is also about $0.40/Qt cheaper at Costco.
I am guessing Costco must be close by to you. The nearest one to me is about 25 miles so I would spend $3-4 in gas going there and back. I do like shopping there with my nephew and niece and my cousin's wife on occasion, but I don't have a membership myself. At least my grocery stores do run specials comparable to that from time to time and I buy extra for my chest freezer when that happens.

I am guessing Costco must be close by to you. The nearest one to me is about 25 miles so I would spend $3-4 in gas going there and back. I do like shopping there with my nephew and niece and my cousin's wife on occasion, but I don't have a membership myself. At least my grocery stores do run specials comparable to that from time to time and I buy extra for my chest freezer when that happens.
Costco is actually closer to us than the supermarket we shop at. They're about two blocks apart.

$32 for produce today.
5 lbs of pears (diced fridge and frozen)
5 lbs of brussel sprouts (steamed and frozen)
9 lbs of mandarin oranges
3 heads romaine
4 bunches of collards (steamed and frozen)
6 tomatoes
bag of tomatoes and tomatillas and a red pepper (diced tomatillas)
bag of bananas
bag of lemons
bag of avocados (mashed and frozen)
3 lbs of asparagus
I prepped most that were needed, the rest is fresh for food this week. Some of it was on sale, some regular priced, some was in reduced produce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom