Grocery deals!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, out of curiosity, how does this compare with US prices for pork? £7.50 kg (which is $9.48 according to currency converter). View attachment 67840
Yes, I don't know this cut. It looks like nice lean meat. If it's a pork loin like ours, it's a little higher than what I usually see in stores, but a lot of factors could come into play, like the breed of the pig (Berkshire pork is more costly in the US). I see it was specially raised so that could be another factor. Humanely raised with a good diet reflects in the quality of the meat.

Yorkshire, Iberian, Hampshire, Berkshire, Duroc, Hereford...

in our grocery stores here we normally get what is called Pork - no other name is ever used.
This is probably because the suppliers are strictly in meat business and only ever use one breed.
Small breeders cannot compete with them.
Maybe a small butcher can tell you the specific breed he gets from specific breeders. Much pricier I imagine.

in our grocery stores here we normally get what is called Pork - no other name is ever used.
This is probably because the suppliers are strictly in meat business and only ever use one breed.
Maybe a small butcher can tell you the specific breed he gets from specific breeders. Much pricier I imagine.
I thought Hereford was beef.

Edit: just googled to find there is a pig Hereford too. I did not know that.

I order Berkshire pork online. I've never seen it in our local grocery stores.

Last edited:
Very interesting! I live in Hampshire (which has a lot of pig farms), but this is very much "standard" quality pork, and very likely not from Hampshire at all, nor a particularly special breed. It's not the cheapest pork either - very much "middle of the road" I would say. The expensive pork has the name of the farm it is from on it, along with the breed of the pig.

Katy, what's a "crackling loin joint"? Is it a pork loin roast with the skin left on?
Taxy, "crackling" is the name for the exceptionally crunchy skin that happens when you roast this type of joint with the thick skin and fat still on it. It is already pre-scored for this very purpose. You then rub salt into the skin and into the deep slashes before roasting. Exceptionally unhealthy!! But people here in the UK (not me) absolutely go mad for it.

So yes, you are totally correct!

Last edited:
Very interesting! I live in Hampshire (which has a lot of pig farms), but this is very much "standard" quality pork, and very likely not from Hampshire at all, nor a particularly special breed. It's not the cheapest pork either - very much "middle of the road" I would say. The expensive pork has the name of the farm it is from on it, along with the breed of the pig.
I have heard that while our inflation is coming down, inflation in the UK has not.

The US is probably light years behind the UK and Europe on the way we raise animals. A lot of the smaller farms obviously have higher overhead here, and the big pig farms probably aren't as kind to their animals and I believe they can use steroids and antibiotics. The Berkshire pork I mentioned earlier is raised more humanely and the farmers let the pigs roam in pastures and don't use steroids, so the pigs don't get as big as the big pig producers animals do.

The grocery had Boston butt pork roasts on sale for $1.47 a pound. Searched for the smallest, which was just under eight pounds. Now I have eight containers of pulled pork in the freezer. Preparing the pork roast (trimming off the fat cap, rubbing, resting overnight in the fridge, cooking for seven hours or so in the slow cooker, then cooling and shredding) is time consuming, but hey, I'm not all that busy anyway!
I can bring over the brioche buns and the BBQ sauce. Let's eat!

I have heard that while our inflation is coming down, inflation in the UK has not.

The US is probably light years behind the UK and Europe on the way we raise animals. A lot of the smaller farms obviously have higher overhead here, and the big pig farms probably aren't as kind to their animals and I believe they can use steroids and antibiotics. The Berkshire pork I mentioned earlier is raised more humanely and the farmers let the pigs roam in pastures and don't use steroids, so the pigs don't get as big as the big pig producers animals do.
Inflation in the UK is more or less stagnant as far as the average person on the street is concerned - but the various news agencies are telling us that it is VERY slowing reducing.

I have heard about steroid use in farming in the US and I believe, by comparison, it is extremely restricted in the UK. Obviously the UK is a tiny piece of land compared to the US too, so the lack of land, and lack of steroid use means meat production is pretty expensive per square metre. It is often cheaper to buy produce from outside the UK which is a bit sad. (I'm not sorry about the lack of steroid use - just to clarify!)

Inflation in the UK is more or less stagnant as far as the average person on the street is concerned - but the various news agencies are telling us that it is VERY slowing reducing.

I have heard about steroid use in farming in the US and I believe, by comparison, it is extremely restricted in the UK. Obviously the UK is a tiny piece of land compared to the US too, so the lack of land, and lack of steroid use means meat production is pretty expensive per square metre. It is often cheaper to buy produce from outside the UK which is a bit sad. (I'm not sorry about the lack of steroid use - just to clarify!)
I am so with you on that sister. The UK and Europe are also fabulous about non-GMO products, which sad to say the US is again, far behind on that one.

I don't think I've eaten any heritage breed pork. I know I've never cooked any. I'd like to. I'm sure it will be well marked in the store, to justify the higher price.

Just buying pork that isn't pumped up with saline solution (salt water) costs extra. The ribs I smoked a couple weeks back were that way, and were almost twice the price per pound as the normal ribs with something like 15% salt water added to increase the weight. But, the final result was worth the extra cost.

CD

Let's face it, you get what you pay for. And you also buy what you can afford. There is a big difference in quality depending on what is in your wallet. For me, (just regarding meat), I try to buy the best I can afford, because I don't eat a lot.

I don't think I've eaten any heritage breed pork. I know I've never cooked any. I'd like to. I'm sure it will be well marked in the store, to justify the higher price.

Just buying pork that isn't pumped up with saline solution (salt water) costs extra. The ribs I smoked a couple weeks back were that way, and were almost twice the price per pound as the normal ribs with something like 15% salt water added to increase the weight. But, the final result was worth the extra cost.

CD
I was at a farm shop in Hampshire and bought some lamb chops. They cost a fortune!! But OMG - I kid you not, you could eat them with a spoon and the flavour was just incredible! Unfortunately, I can't afford to eat like that on a day to day basis. :neutral: But I am glad I tried them.

I was at a farm shop in Hampshire and bought some lamb chops. They cost a fortune!! But OMG - I kid you not, you could eat them with a spoon and the flavour was just incredible! Unfortunately, I can't afford to eat like that on a day to day basis. :neutral: But I am glad I tried them.
Yeah I get my lamb from Australia and it's amazing. The little lambs are so young and tender. I love them! I think I paid $14.99 lb for a rack last time, though I have found them in the grocery store for $11.99 lb before.

Let's face it, you get what you pay for. And you also buy what you can afford. There is a big difference in quality depending on what is in your wallet. For me, (just regarding meat), I try to buy the best I can afford, because I don't eat a lot.
I completely agree with this.

As I am cooking only for myself and not a family of 6 (or more, depending on who's visiting) I too try to buy the best I can afford.
As you say - that Wagyu beef - glad I at least tried it, amazing stuff. Lamb is in that category as well, as are lobster tails.

I walked to the local Tops Friendly Market this morning to pick up a few things from the weekly flyer.

One of those items was a 30 oz. bottle of Hellmann’s mayonnaise.

I expected it to ring up at $3.49 as advertised in the flyer.

When I checked and double checked my receipt it rang up at $1.49.

I’m not sure if this was intentional or some sort of computer error in applying the discount.

Retail price $8.19 👀
Bonus savings. 3.70
Store coupon. 1.00
Manufacturers coupon. 2.00

Final price $1.49

This bottle of mayonnaise will taste much better than the last bottle! 🤭😉

So a regional grocer in my area has Black Angus beef whole tenderloins on sale for $9.99 lb (usually about $27 lb). I bought one yesterday and the butcher cut it into 2 inch steaks and ground the scrap into burger meat for me. I separated and froze the meat except for the steaks we ate last night. They were fantastic!

View attachment 66923

Another grocery store in my area has skinless boneless chicken breasts on sale for $1.79 lb last week but they sold out the day I went. I was able to get a rain check though so I'm going tomorrow to get them.

I found Frenched rack of lamb on sale for $11.99 lb (normally about $16 lb) and bought 2 of them.

View attachment 66925

Broccoli crowns were .99 cents lb.

Aldi has Butterball turkeys for .99 cents lb. I'm gonna go get one, not for Thanksgiving but for our smoker next weekend.

What kinds of grocery deals have you found lately?
Maybe prices are coming down. That's fantastic on the tenderloin.

A few months ago I bought a big bag of snow crab legs for $5.99 lb, amazing price. I'm thawing out a cluster and a few broken legs and a claw now.
20240204_185626.jpg
20240204_185641.jpg

I bought large sea scallops at another store (frozen) for $9.99 lb. I took 8 of them out and soaked them, now drying them so I'm able to get a nice sear on them later.
20240204_190301.jpg

Planning on making some sort of pasta dish with both later on using homemade spaghetti from my freezer. The hardest part is getting the crabmeat out of the shells.

I have eaten scallops, but I have never cooked them. Is it standard procedure to soak scallops before cooking them?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom