"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 09-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #11
Master Chef

Isn't the ribeye your "filling". What other fillings do you want?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Isn't the ribeye your "filling". What other fillings do you want?
I see some recipes use a tomato based meat stew-like filling along with (I guess) white rice.

What goes in the filling? Meat, canned tomatoes.... maybe some beef broth? I also have a bunch of fresh chili peppers from the garden. Jalapenos, habs, cayennes, wax, anaheims.

I usually just saute up some bell pepper, onion and meat and add some spices and olive oil. I'm getting a little bored with it.

BTW - I like it hot.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
Making your own Taco shells is quite easy too.

Preheat oven to 325 F. Place each corn tortilla so that it is centered over two of the wires on the rack, placing the edges of the torillas under the other wires. Bake until they begin to turn a darker color, about ten minutes, but remove immediately, as they will burn if left in the oven any longer. - they will curl around in an upside-down 'U' shape to make perfect taco shells.
What a great idea. I'm going to do that this week =p
Old 09-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #14
Master Chef

Oh - okay, you just mean the sliced or chopped ribeye will just be one of the ingredients.

In that case, forget the rice. When I make my taco filling, I sort of pretend I'm making chili & just cook it down dryer. Look at it that way & go from there. Because frankly, good taco stuffings aren't really much more than dryer versions of good chili. :)
Old 09-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Great tip. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I've been using a cup or so of salsa and a TB or so of chili powder after I brown about a pound of ground beef.... Much better tasting than the packaged taco seasoning, and REALLY good if I havetime to make my own salsa first!
No beans please, ick. The can of refried beans reminds me of dog food when it's opened and I run off to barf..... someone else has to open them if they want them....
Old 09-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I was watching Bobby Flay's Throwdown once where the person he challenged made homemade tortillas. It doesn't look like an overly complex process, but it certainly looks like it is an art form.

First, anyone know where to get a tortilla press?

Second, any tips for perfecting the art?
Old 09-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I think refried beans I think burrito. I think steak I think fajita. But that's just me

I've got a LOT of tortilla shells that I'm going to try to turn into hard taco shells using that recipe. Thanks for the idea mcnerd.

I'm a store bought taco person. I use Old El Paso taco shells (jumbo) because I think they taste lighter than Ortega shells, but I like Ortega seasoning over Old El Paso or McCormicks..... So OK, they have lots of "sodium" in them. Sodium is the salt of the earth.
And I make the meat stretch because IMO, a taco is all about the lettuce, cheese, onion... all that other stuff that needs put in the shell on top of the meat and just so to keep the shell from cracking.
Oh yeah, if it's a soft taco shell, it falls into the burrito/fajita category
Old 09-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #19
Master Chef

Pacanis - I must also admit that my taco philosophy definitely follows yours. I have no problem whatsoever using commercial hard taco shells &/or hard taco shell "dinner" mixes.

I particularly like Old El Paso's "stand-alone super stuffer" hard taco shells. Those flat bottoms definitely make them easier to fill.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Aside from the inordinant amount of sodium, I wonder just what is in taco seasoning. Chili powder? Cumin? Paprika? Garlic?

Hmmmm, that makes me wonder if Emeril's Southwest Essence would make a good taco . . . . . .