What is your limit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still holding the line at $35.00/week.

It was interesting looking back over the responses on this thread for the last couple of years. A couple years ago I was budgeting $35.00/week and it was getting tough. I really don't understand how it works, but it does, I have been able to absorb various price increases and or adjust my shopping to take advantage of the "dips" and stay within the $35.00/week budget.

I have started experimenting with the idea of a "simple kitchen". I have started looking at the number of pantry items I have on hand and am making an effort to reduce that number by adjusting the way I cook. Part of it is to save a few pennies and part of it is the challenge of creating great food using a limited number of basic ingredients. One example came to up recently with CWS4322 and her flour based frosting recipe that uses granulated sugar. The recipe makes a great frosting without using confectioners sugar. By choosing this wonderful frosting or perhaps a 7-Minute frosting I can eliminate the "need" for confectioners sugar in my pantry.

I would be very interested in hearing what others do to eliminate or reduce the number of bottles, boxes, cans and pouches on the pantry shelves.

$35/week is amazing. Good job.

In the past four months or so we have all received a $20 reduction in our food stamps. That can make a big difference in how I shop. Aside from food items, I spend about $25.00 a month for non-food taxable items. :angel:

I would be very interested in hearing what others do to eliminate or reduce the number of bottles, boxes, cans and pouches on the pantry shelves.

Aside from a few select items I get at Costco, because I use a lot, I've started shopping by the week. So, only one jar of my favorite spaghetti sauce, etc. I also binned all my dry ingredients, no more boxed mixes for baking. The largest area in my pantry is taken up by the spices, I have jars that are all the same size, but they only have 1-2 tablespoons of spices in them. I need smaller jars...again.:LOL:

If I ever get a job that isn't in a grocery store, I'm going to have to learn how to grocery shop :LOL: I buy stuff every day that we need, and stock up on good deals. I haven't done a weekly shop in over 20 years.

Unfortunately, food costs are forecast to continue to rise. I heard yesterday that the price of corn has gone up 50% in the past 30 days. This is due to the drought conditions that are present in so many areas in North America. Not sure about in Europe, but with the state of the euro, I'm sure that has an effect on the price of goods in Europe as well. Increased fuel and labour costs also contribute to rising prices. As does supply and demand. Because of the drought, supposedly farmers are selling off livestock (mostly beef cattle). This is supposed to translate into a drop in beef prices over the short term, but the price of meat and dairy is forecasted to go up in the fall. We're stocking up on chicken feed before the cost of corn goes up again. And, other than using mustards, vinegars, etc., I too cook from scratch and don't use canned/processed ingredients 99% of the time (obviously, if I add olives, those are processed and not s/thing I process at home). We are lucky--we have 6000 row ft of produce planted for our own consumption. We have to devote a lot of time to tending to these plants, but in the end, it is well worth the effort. We usually get enough stuff to get us through the winter re: veggies and have enough to continue to feed the dogs their custom-designed diet consisting of veggies, raw meat, etc. We still buy fresh fruit and some veggies throughout the winter, but usually only those things on special.
So you've got a drought and we've had floods. This weather makes no sense at all.

EDIT: Oh dear, I've done it again and replied to a post made 2 years ago!

Last edited:
You could make some custom spice blends to consolidate those jars, then get some new stuff :)

I have done that before. Right about the time I replaced all my out of date spices with Penzey's Shrek retired and decided to stop eating real food.

I have no idea how much we spend per week. When I shop, I stock up on things when they are on sale. When I get low on something I add it to my list. When I go to the store for the things I need, I check around for things on sale to add to my stock.

To figure out what I "spend" per week, I would have to keep track of what I use all week and add up what the cost would be. I do a lot of shopping at Aldi's and that saves a bundle. I also go to WalMart for some things, and to the regular grocery store for others. It's been a long time since I went for groceries once a week and bought the food for the week.

I have no idea how much we spend per week. When I shop, I stock up on things when they are on sale. When I get low on something I add it to my list. When I go to the store for the things I need, I check around for things on sale to add to my stock.

To figure out what I "spend" per week, I would have to keep track of what I use all week and add up what the cost would be. I do a lot of shopping at Aldi's and that saves a bundle. I also go to WalMart for some things, and to the regular grocery store for others. It's been a long time since I went for groceries once a week and bought the food for the week.

If you know your prices, aldi can save you a ton! I've been going there for over 10 years and they have gone from a place to get cheap processed foods to a place that has a lot odd great items. I always cruise their cheese section, they'll often have good imported stuff at a good price. With St Patrick's day coming up there will likely be some good Irish cheese.

You could average a month or two to get a rough idea.

I have no idea. It's hard to tell when everything including food is taxed and at different rates.

I'll just have to take the time to decipher my register tapes to figure it out.

I have no idea. It's hard to tell when everything including food is taxed and at different rates.

I'll just have to take the time to decipher my register tapes to figure it out.

The amount you spend should include taxes, I think. You have to pay it to get the food, after all :)

I'm thinking of my Walmart shopping. So much of what I buy there is not food, or even cooking related. Clothes, books, office supplies, vitamins....

Last edited:
I'm thinking of my Walmart shopping. So much of what I buy there is not food, or even cooking related. Clothes, books, office supplies, vitamins....

We have different things we buy at different stores. Since retiring, I don't browse as much because that causes impulse purchases. Social Security does not allow for them. At Walmart, I buy some food items regularly, but never a full order. I also buy most of my health and beauty aids there. DH buys some automobile supplies. Otherwise, I try to stay out of the other departments. We have Aldi's, Giant Eagle food chain, Target, WalMart and Kohls within 5 miles of our home. We also have a couple strip malls with small specialty stores. I remember WalMart when it didn't have a grocery department. Now they are expanding the grocery department in Target. I think that's a mistake since they have a Giant Eagle next door and WalMart and Aldi's across the street. I will buy groceries there if something is on sale for a good price, but not otherwise. I think the only groceries they will sell is if someone is in there for something else.

Buckytom: what does your Irish or Gaelic sentence say? I tried an online translator (Irish to English) and it only gave me:
We will la

I'm solo. I have a roommate that I try not to share things with. Usually $50/wk and I don't go out much for meals.

Back
Top Bottom