"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #131
Head Chef

How about.. everything?? lol. Eggs too. Oh my gosh it's gotten SO expensive to cook a simple meal. I still can't believe how much we spend on groceries, and I'm pretty careful.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #132
Chef Extraordinaire

Not to mention Ontario Hydro is charging different rates for time of use. My homemade tomato paste needs 18 hours...I have worked really hard at being more self-sufficient--I make my own bread, cook from scratch, but these things take more time than nuking something, and now I have to figure out how to do these things during off- or lower peak times. I was online today looking for a wood cookstove...my cousin got rid of the one that was at the cabin--the one I was looking at that is close enough to go get across the border is a dead-ringer for the one we had at the cabin. I was thinking it would make sense to replace the woodstove (used for heat) at the farm for a wood cookstove...I made my turkey soup the other day on the top of the woodstove...don't want to do that in the heat of the summer (cook on the woodstove).

Old 04-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #133
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
How about.. everything?? lol. Eggs too. Oh my gosh it's gotten SO expensive to cook a simple meal. I still can't believe how much we spend on groceries, and I'm pretty careful.
I'm getting three laying pullets so I can have my own eggs...if cows didn't produce so many liters of milk each day--I'd consider getting a dairy cow as well.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #134
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
At least you have a good farmer's market there. But yeah--everything has gone up in price and getting the ingredients for a simple meal has gone up. Do you have a garden?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #135
Head Chef

I have a gas stove, I love it !!!
We bought a rowhouse type of condo so we have limited space. We are building a fence in our teenie yard this year so I will be able to build raised beds! I can't wait !!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #136
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have a gas stove, I love it !!!
We bought a rowhouse type of condo so we have limited space. We are building a fence in our teenie yard this year so I will be able to build raised beds! I can't wait !!
You can do pots of herbs (and bring them in for the winter). A friend of mine lived in a condo in Kingston and not only did raised beds, but planted pots (big) of pole beans that she strung up to the 2nd storey. If you'd like, I can ask her to send me an email about what she did re: getting the most mileage out of that small space.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #137
Head Chef

Oh I have certainly been considering herbs lol !!! My problem is that I only get sun in the back of the house, and I have no room in the house to put plants just in my large back window unfortunately :( I can always bring them to the office in the winter though!
I haven't been able to do planters even yet, as we don't have a secure backyard. ANd they would have to be in the back.. the front gets zero sun.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #138
Chef Extraordinaire

I have tried a home herb garden but my cats keep mowing them off.

In South Dakota tomatoes are really exspensive now.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #139
Assistant Cook

While just the two of us we seem to average around 45.00 per week, when our daughter is back from university at term ends, the bill rises to around 65-70 per week.
This does not include alcohol, but does include some household cleaning products and toiletry necessities.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #140
Assistant Cook

Quote:

I am in Canada though.. things are so expensive here.

Thats why we have started to make a trip to the states (Port Huron, Michigan), maybe once every month or couple months to stock up on items. Its crazy how cheaper some items are!