"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 09-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

You could just buy regular frozen veggies and steam them in your microwave or on the stovetop. I'd guess they are cheaper than the ones in special steamable bags.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Adillo - do you have a pic of say a chicken breast sealed with the Handivac? I was htinking about buying one, I just want to see how well it does.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
Executive Chef

We buy those frozen veggie or rice assortments that you nuke in the bag. They taste pretty good and is a real quick side.

Edit: The Green Giant "Medleys" rotf
Old 09-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
Head Chef

In following the original poster's question about an alternative to the steam bags some veggies come in, I think the Ziplock or Glad steamable bags might be the only alternative, other than just steaming on the stovetop. These bags are much thicker than normal bags and I've been cleaning and reusing them numerous times, which would bring the inital cost down substantially.

For freezing foods in general, the FoodSaver vacuum system can't be beat and those bags can be microwaved or boiled in water, which opens more doors for potential meal-in-a-bag options. I, for example, will cook up batches of brown rice that take a long time to make, putting single-serve portions in a FoodSaver bag and freeze. Then I only have to reheat in a microwave or boiling water later.

I do not know if the Reynolds handi-bag bags are microwave or boiling water safe.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Jeeks - I'll get you a pix tonight.

Mcnerd - I do not think the handivac bags are for microwave or boiling. Their greatest value is the open take a little out and revacuum. I know you can do this with Foodsaver, it does keep making the bag shorter. Also the Handivac is battery operated. Grab it, push the button and you are off.

Foodsaver is more reusable. It can be done with Handivac.

I think my final answer is better panning and freezing. I would like to try canning, not this year.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:14 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You could just buy regular frozen veggies and steam them in your microwave or on the stovetop. I'd guess they are cheaper than the ones in special steamable bags.
Well, AC - I have to agree with what Andy M. previously said.

If you are wanting to freeze fresh vegs from your garden - then you should check out the National Center for Home Food Preservation site's section on Freezing Food.