Tuna Tetrazzini Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotch

Head Chef
This is a gussied-up version of the All-American tuna casserole. This version started life as a recipe in the great Settlement Cookbook but was improved upon by DW and me, and it became a staple in the leaner years of our marriage. We think it's quite good, a big improvement on the old potato chip version many of us grew up eating. My 36-year-old daughter still asks for it.

Tuna Tetrazzini

6 ounces spaghetti
1 10½-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, diced
¼ pound mushrooms, sliced
¼ cup diced pimento
¼ cup diced green pepper
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1¾ cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
¼ cup dry sherry
2 cans (7-ounces each) solid-pack albacore tuna
salt & pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Grease 2-quart casserole.

3. Break spaghetti in pieces and cook according to package directions; drain.

4. While spaghetti is cooking, melt butter in medium frying pan, add onions and green peppers and saute over medium heat until soft, about 3 minutes.

5. Add mushrooms to pan and saute until they release their juices, about another 3 minutes; continue cooking until most of juices have evaporated.

6. In prepared casserole, mix together condensed soup, onion/green pepper/mushroom mixture, pimentos, capers, sherry and 1¼ cups cheese (note: be sure to reserve ½ cup of cheese).

7. Break tuna into chunks and mix into sauce in casserole.

8. Add cooked spaghetti to casserole and mix carefully.

9. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup of cheese over top of casserole.

10. Bake 45 – 60 minutes, until bubbly and browned on top.

that sounds good. my mom never made tuna casserole. the first time i had it was when a boyfriend made it for me after i was out of my mom's house. it had no potato chips in it. cream of mushroom soup, onion, mushrooms, egg noodles, solid white tuna and baby sweet peas. he topped it with lightly seasoned bread crumbs with grated cheese added to them.

Back
Top Bottom