"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 06-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Wine Guy

Drinkable Box Wines

I've never been a big fan of boxed wines, but every once in awhile I'll try one on someone's recommendation. Usually I'm disappointed. It's probably because I'm somewhat picky when it comes to wine. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm a snob. I'm really not. Price and prestige doesn't really matter, and I can just as easily enjoy a $7-10 wine as a $20+ bottle - provided it's balanced, well made, and tastes good.

For years I've been waiting for the day when someone would make a good boxed wine. I like the idea of buying wine in bulk and enjoying a glass when I want, without having to worry about storing leftovers, or having it go bad after a few days.

I recently tried some of these "Bota Box" wines from California. This brand just recently became available in my area (Minnesota). I've now had the Merlot, Malbec, and Chardonnay. I have to say they're not bad for what they are. It's ain't Mouton Rothschild, but it is drinkable and decent.

So my question is, have any of you had a box wine you've enjoyed?

Old 06-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Whenever I see the 1 liter boxes with the brand name "Bandit" on them, I always pick up a few. The most common varieties I find are Merlot and Pinot Grigio. Bandit is made by the same fellows behind "Three Thieves," which is a very good "jug wine." Joel Gott, a talented Napa winemaker, is one of the "three thieves." Wines with his name on them cost a lot more than the $7.50 I pay for a box of Bandit.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
Master Chef

I'd just go with a case of Two Buck Chucks. Cheap.
Boxed wine just brings back bad memories for me.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Head Chef

I grabbed a couple boxes of Bota's Malbec to set out on the patio for our BBQ over Memorial Day weekend; it's very drinkable. I'll have to try the other flavors as well.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I like Two Buck Chuck, too, but don't have a Trader Joe's near enough to be really convenient. So, when we run out of that, my daughter and I have discovered Carlo Rossi Paisano! I was really pleasantly surprised at how very smooth and drinkable it is! It's not in the box, though, it's the "gallon" jug. You can either decant it into smaller bottles and use the VacuVin to cork them, or (I know, but it really works!) open the top of a drained box wine, pry the spigot off of the inner bag, prop the bag with the opening facing up inside of the box, and CAREFULLY pour the wine in, then replace the spigot, then squeeze out the air and replace it into the box to dispense.
It sounds like a lot of work, but I honestly like the way the bag keeps out the air, keeping your wine fresh tasting until it's gone. Plus, it's really convenient to just go grab a glass, whenever, without having to worry about vaccuum sealing your bottle after you pour.
I love a really great bottle of wine, but times are tough! This is perfectly acceptable for me for an ordinary day glass (or several glasses) of wine! For the equivalent of about five bottles of wine, I can usually get my Paisano at the grocery store for about $12.99 on sale; but I can also get it at Sam's club for $9.99...what Two Buck Chuck USED to cost!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Whenever I see the 1 liter boxes with the brand name "Bandit" on them, I always pick up a few. The most common varieties I find are Merlot and Pinot Grigio. Bandit is made by the same fellows behind "Three Thieves," which is a very good "jug wine." Joel Gott, a talented Napa winemaker, is one of the "three thieves." Wines with his name on them cost a lot more than the $7.50 I pay for a box of Bandit.
Where are they sold ?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Master Chef

Count me as one of the many that think 2 buck Chuck is overpriced, sorry.

But TJ's has a lot of fantastic bargains. We drink a Cabernet that's $6.99 for 1.5 bottle. Can't recall it's name right now but when I remember I'll post.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Master Chef

Two Buck Chucks are still $1.99 here.....750ml/bottle X 5 = 3750ml or roughly a gallon for under $10.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
Master Chef

Yes. Two Buck is cheap. But totally tastes like it. IMO.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Yes. Two Buck is cheap. But totally tastes like it. IMO.
Sometimes you get good batches, and sometimes you don't.