"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 05-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

i hate to throw a spanner into the works, but i'm often reminded of an old "m*a*s*h*" episode where the docs tried to quit drinking for a week. i've done it, and it's a bitch. but i'm amazed at how much better i feel, how much energy i have when i do so.

if you drink more than one or two drinks a day, especially 4 or more days a week, you've got a problem.

i know there's a big arguement about european culture being different from uptight american culture, but i also have daily experience with my immigrant european neighbors who are, for the vast part, severe alcoholics.

again, sorry to be that 4am cup of coffee in a bar when it's last call, but people need to take a look at themselves and see how they feel if they quit for a week or two.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #52
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i hate to throw a spanner into the works, but i'm often reminded of an old "m*a*s*h*" episode where the docs tried to quit drinking for a week. i've done it, and it's a bitch. but i'm amazed at how much better i feel, how much energy i have when i do so.

if you drink more than one or two drinks a day, especially 4 or more days a week, you've got a problem.

i know there's a big arguement about european culture being different from uptight american culture, but i also have daily experience with my immigrant european neighbors who are, for the vast part, severe alcoholics.

again, sorry to be that 4am cup of coffee in a bar when it's last call, but people need to take a look at themselves and see how they feel if they quit for a week or two.
It's nice waking up in the morning and realizing the stupid things you did the night before are forever burned into your sober memory...

But, at least you do remember and don't have a helpful friend telling you about it.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

lol. yes, it's also easiier to own up to things without saying it was the alcohol. builds character, thickens the skin and bacbone.

i need a beer...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:02 AM   #54
Executive Chef

@ Vanitas,

Firstly, thanks so much for your informative feedback on British Colombian Canadian wines.

Unfortunately, I have never wine tasted a wine from British Colombia however, I have been to a Canadian Embassy Wine Tasting and had the loveliest Ice Wines ...

They are quite pricey here in the Madrid Capital.

I shall make note of your recommendations and if we get over to the northwest Pacific, or Canada, for sure, I shall do a wine tasting ...

Thanks for feedback.

Have nice wkend.
M.C.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #55
Executive Chef

@ Buckytom,

From my viewpoint, there is a huge difference between having a couple of glasses of wine, over a prolonged dinner, SIPPING AND SAVOURING with dinner than imbiding excessively.

However, this thread is about wine knowledge and sharing information about wines we SIP AND SAVOUR verses swallow & get drunk.

Besides, there are not too many people who get drunk on a glass or two of Prosecco, Cava or Wine during dinner !

T.U. for your feedback.

Have nice wkend.
M.C.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
@ Vanitas,

Firstly, thanks so much for your informative feedback on British Colombian Canadian wines.

Unfortunately, I have never wine tasted a wine from British Colombia however, I have been to a Canadian Embassy Wine Tasting and had the loveliest Ice Wines ...

They are quite pricey here in the Madrid Capital.

I shall make note of your recommendations and if we get over to the northwest Pacific, or Canada, for sure, I shall do a wine tasting ...

Thanks for feedback.

Have nice wkend.
M.C.
Ice wine is fairly pricey here too. We even have ice cider, but I haven't tried it because of the price.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #57
Executive Chef

Tax lady,

The high price tags are due to the Boutique Production ( small quantities ).

A bottle of an absolutely lovely Ice Wine was 93 Euros at a "posh" upscale wine shop in Madrid. Though, I do have to say, it was wonderful ...

Kind regards.
Margi.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #58
Wine Guy

The high price of ice wine is also due to the expensive production costs. According to Canadian VQA standards, grapes used for ice wine can only be picked when the temperature is -8C or lower. Usually they are picked during the night sometime between December and February. Then they must be crushed right away using specialized hydraulic presses that can handle the frozen fruit. And then there is the fact that, when all is said and done, you may only get a drop or two of juice from each grape.

It requires a lot of work just to make a small amount of ice wine.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Steve,

Yes certainly the expensive type of production costs coupled by the boutique production shall bring up costs ... They do not have a local following though expats enjoy.

I had been informed that now Sweden, Finland and Norway, are in the mist of producing too ...

Thanks for all your valuable wine knowledge.
Margi.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
The high price of ice wine is also due to the expensive production costs. According to Canadian VQA standards, grapes used for ice wine can only be picked when the temperature is -8C or lower. Usually they are picked during the night sometime between December and February. Then they must be crushed right away using specialized hydraulic presses that can handle the frozen fruit. And then there is the fact that, when all is said and done, you may only get a drop or two of juice from each grape.

It requires a lot of work just to make a small amount of ice wine.
I said it was pricey; I didn't say it was overpriced.

Some stuff is just like that. Saffron comes to mind. It's very labour intensive to harvest. It was used a lot in the middle ages, when labour was cheap.

Tags
wine