What is Your Favorite Pot Pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
What is Your Favorite brand, and flavor of pot pie?

My favorite flavor is turkey. I have yet to determine my favorite brand. There are so many. Scwan's are good, as are Marie Calendar's. However, the gravy/sauce is somewhat bland in both, though they have a great balance of proteins and veggies. There are many new choices that I
have yet to try. I still enjoy the old standby pies, Swanson, and Banquet, though they aren't as generous with meat and veggies. I also prefer a bottom crust be included.

What are your favorites? They can be fruit, or savory pot pies.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have never found a store bought pot pie that is as good as homemade. I just don't buy them. Chicken pot pie is comfort food to me,. I grew up on the frozen banquet pies - they were 9 cents apiece at the grocery store. All 5 kids could eat for less than 50 cents. And like most of the packaged foods that I grew up on, I can't eat them today.

I grew up in Detroit, and the big department store was J.L.Hudsons. in their restaurant, they had one of the best chicken pot pies you've ever tasted. It was a specialty of theirs. For years I tried to reproduce it, but never hit it. Then one day I was making a chicken fricasse or stew for chicken and dumplings, and thought this would make a great pot pie filing. I never looked back. I don't even try to match Hudson's because this one is perfect.

Sometimes I make homemade pie crust, and fill a 2 crust shell. But sometimes I just use puff pastry on top. Either way, it's the best.

I remember eating Chicken Pot Pie as a kid. Swanson's comes to mind although I'm not sure. But now ... only home made does it for me.

I have yet to master the perfect one but I'd rather have a badly made homecooked than the too much crust'n flour/no meat/few vegies of the frozen ones.

On second thought, a while back I did discover a brand called PG (Plaisirs Gastronomiques). Their chicken pie is great. Salmon/shrimp was good. They also make an open Gratin style chicken pie - good. They are a little pricey but grab some up on sale to keep in freezer for "those nights". They make different sizes which is also very handy, 585 g and 850 g. Available with reg. crust and puff.
I haven't looked for them here in my new area yet.

I have never found a store bought pot pie that is as good as homemade. I just don't buy them.

Most of them are bad, especially Mrs Budd. It’s just mostly gravy with some pieces of chicken in it. Marie Callender is the only decent one I found but haven’t had it in years. I usually make my own.

I always keep a few 15oz Marie Callender pot pies in the freezer for when I don't feel like cooking. I like the chicken and turkey, but my favorite is the beef, but they keep on changing the name. I have, over the years, seen beef, roast beef, pot roast, etc. but it's still the same beef pie.

They were a staple when I grew up and I hated them, along with frozen fish sticks.

I make better ones from scratch. Here's a shepherd's pie with lamb, onion, new potatoes, carrots and peas, topped with puff pastry.

18gmy7Z.jpg

Here's a pheasant pie, with the same vegetables. The gravy was made with pheasant stock. Being somewhat lazy, I like topping pies with store-bought puff pastry.

0ubh8bS.jpg

I guess Coquilles St. Jacques (scallops) are a pot pie of sorts. Pretty posh eats for an old cowboy.

oj48uoS.jpg

I like the Marie Callender chicken & chicken mushroom ones. But now you've got me craving my mom's homemade one - but we make it like chicken and dumplings.

Back
Top Bottom