It's National Pot Pie Day in the U.S., Saturday, September 23, 2023! What are you making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We were a day early, but we had Banquet beef pot pies for lunch yesterday. We were hoping that frozen pot pies had improved over the years. They haven't. We ended up throwing out most. Wouldn't even feed it to the hens!
Try Marie Calendar's. Don't get the smallest ones, they come in 3 sizes, as the pastry/filling ratio is way skewed in a not good way. The middle ones are a hearty meal for me. We have them on occasion.

Darn, don't tell DH it's pot pie day! It's too late to make one! 🤣

We have leftover za'atar-seasoned cooked chicken and Mexican-seasoned cooked chicken. I'm going to make some rice pilaf and top it with chicken and other toppings for Mexican or Middle Eastern chicken and rice bowls.

Cauliflower wings and slabs of yellow and red peppers, battered, breaded, baked. Served with or without stir fry sauce. I like the peppers better than the cauliflower.
Meal sized salads if either of us is still hungry.

Char siu and Chef Jet Li's "fluffy" fried rice with my own touches.

20230923_191059.jpg

I made a one dish meal (sort of) today in the Instant Pot, after making a tomato sauce last night, using an onion and some garlic, sautéed in olive oil, with some fresh marjoram and basil blended with the tomatoes, and simmered down about 30 minutes, then used that today - about 1½ qts. of thick sauce.

Today I started with a 14 oz pack of kielbasa that I cubed up, then cooked in sauté mode, until fairly well browned, and a generous amount of fat cooked out, and I transferred it to a plate with a PT. I poured out about 2 tb fat, and added about 1 tb olive oil, and started cooking a diced up bell pepper, and some chopped mildly hot peppers I had sitting around, and about 3 c of eggplant cubes. After the EP started browning I added about 2 c of okra, trimmed and cut to about 3/4", and I added the tomato sauce from last night, scraping up the fond from the bottom, returned the kielbasa to the pan, with about 3/4 c black quinoa, and just a little salt, since the sausage has salt. I put the cover on, then set the pressure cooker to 1 minute, and after it beeps, let the pressure release 10 minutes, then let the rest out. Then I stirred in about 2 cups of leftover cooked brown rice, and let it sit about 10 minutes, to absorb the remaining water. Then I stirred in about 1/4 c freshly chopped basil, and that was it.
One dish meal, with kielbasa, eggplant, bell and hot peppers, okra, quinoa, tomatoes, and rice. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Pan-fried NY strip steak (perfect medium rare 125 °F internal temperature), and salad with homemade green goddess dressing (I used Trader Joe's green goddess seasoning).
Homemade Mocha brownies (with chopped pecans in the brownie, and the frosting) for dessert.

strip_steak_092223_IMG_1641.jpg

mocha_brownies_092223_2_IMG_1645.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom