It's National Pot Pie Day in the U.S., Saturday, September 23, 2023! What are you making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No pot pies for me, not a big fan. We had an Indonesian vegetable dish called Gado Gado.
View attachment 66142
You've had pot pies? I didn't know it was an international thing. I actually love them. I will make from scratch sometimes but my favorite store bought ones are the Marie Callender chicken pot pies.

chicken-pot-pie-63515.png

They are British by origin as far as I know and I've lived in Britain. I like chicken and leek pot pie if I have to have any.
I'm guessing theirs are different and we Muricans changed it up considerably. Just a guess and I could be wrong. Some of the UK meat pies I've seen didn't look or sound too great.

Leeks and chicken sounds pretty good.

I'm guessing theirs are different and we Muricans changed it up considerably. Just a guess and I could be wrong. Some of the UK meat pies I've seen didn't look or sound too great.

Leeks and chicken sounds pretty good.
Where are you from? Never heard that tribal name before.

Chicken and Leek, Chicken, Leek and Mushroom - all some of my favourites!

They are British by origin as far as I know and I've lived in Britain. I like chicken and leek pot pie if I have to have any.
I believe that you are correct.

Early double crust pies were known as coffins and single crust pies were called traps.

I think the crust on early pies was not really intended to be eaten and provided more of a liner for baking dishes and a barrier towards the intense and uneven heat of early ovens.

I believe that the English settlers introduced pies to Colonial America.

ohh... think I'm catching on... slang for 'American'?

I'm trying to get away from uncommon contractions and abbreviations. Does not help people who's mother tongue is not English.

I'm not always successful of course, my brain thinks faster than my fingers can type and it is difficult to keep up.

ohh... think I'm catching on... slang for 'American'?

I'm trying to get away from uncommon contractions and abbreviations. Does not help people who's mother tongue is not English.

I'm not always successful of course, my brain thinks faster than my fingers can type and it is difficult to keep up.
American slang is littered with them.

I like acronyms. I'll try to remember to translate them occasionally 😅

It's a real PITA to type everything out on my phone. You can probably figure that out.

American slang is littered with them.

I like acronyms. I'll try to remember to translate them occasionally 😅

It's a real PITA to type everything out on my phone. You can probably figure that out.
which is why I don't use my phone - although I understand why people do or have to.

I don't mind common acronyms, but many times people get carried away. It takes me twice as long to figure out what OGLGE they are trying to say than it would for them to type it out.

(you know that one? :LOL:)

"Murican" came from a former US president, as in "my fellow Muricans".
In high school I had a teacher who said "lon giland" when referring to Long Island.
I agree about acronyms being difficult to figure out. Just write it or leave it alone!

FYI, there are keyboard apps available that are pretty good at predictive text. It cuts down on typing time and spelling accuracy considerably. I use Microsoft SwiftKey Keyboard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom