It's National Pot Pie Day in the U.S., Saturday, September 23, 2023! What are you making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would refer to people from other than the States as North Americans, or Central/South Americans. If not using that I describe them as Columbian, Mexican, Argentinean, etc.
But, how do you refer to people from the US, if you want to be clear that is what you mean and not any of the Americans who are not in the US? I have seen "USAians", but that's clumsy to write and doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

First of all, it depends on the context of the conversation. If I'm talking to someone and they say 'where is he from?' - I will probably say "the U.S."
I don't give speeches - so referring to people from different continents never comes up.
Sorry, but you'd have to give specifics as to exactly how and when I would ever use it.
Ask me where KatyCooks is from - Great Britain or England would be my answer. Where is Rufus from? New Zealand. Where is GG from? the U.S. Where is taxy from? Canada. I wouldn't say taxy ifrom North American. The configurations are endless and I can't even begin to fathom the different answers that would be given.

First of all, it depends on the context of the conversation. If I'm talking to someone and they say 'where is he from?' - I will probably say "the U.S."
I don't give speeches - so referring to people from different continents never comes up.
Sorry, but you'd have to give specifics as to exactly how and when I would ever use it.
Ask me where KatyCooks is from - Great Britain or England would be my answer. Where is Rufus from? New Zealand. Where is GG from? the U.S. Where is taxy from? Canada. I wouldn't say taxy ifrom North American. The configurations are endless and I can't even begin to fathom the different answers that would be given.
Of course, if someone asks "Where is he from?" you don't say, "He's Merican." It's more for generalizations, e.g., "Don't forget, Mericans pay a lot more for health care than we do." or "Mericans will measure lots of things in football fields to avoid metric."

Well, I imagine should I be talking about health care with someone and I said that "Americans pay a lot more for health... " I'm guessing they would know I'm not referring to Mexicans, Columbians or Peruvians. ditto football fields.
As I said, it depends on who you are talking to and what you are talking about not to mention in what media you are conversing.

Well, I imagine should I be talking about health care with someone and I said that "Americans pay a lot more for health... " I'm guessing they would know I'm not referring to Mexicans, Columbians or Peruvians. ditto football fields.
As I said, it depends on who you are talking to and what you are talking about not to mention in what media you are conversing.
I guess that's why the term is mostly used on social media, where the people reading the sentence are from many parts of the world. I have particularly noticed people from South America taking offense at the use of "American" to mean someone from the US. Some Europeans use, "American" to mean someone from the Americas.

Last edited:
Not sure how this thread got so far off topic, but I personally am a bit weary of it, especially since I have only ever seen 1 person use the term plus a person who seems to constantly try to ingratiate himself to other males.

Not sure how this thread got so far off topic, but I personally am a bit weary of it, especially since I have only ever seen 1 person use the term plus a person who seems to constantly try to ingratiate himself to other males.
Righto. I just used it in this forum one time jokingly. It is not a common word in my vocabulary.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom