"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 05-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives comments

DW and I have now eaten at 2 of the places Guy has visited on his show in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Chef's Pointe in Watauga and Jamaican Gates in Arlington.

Neither of us were thrilled with Chef's Pointe, the food was not nearly as good as it sounded on TV. But we also couldn't get what we wanted because they were out ... something I find despicable in any restaurant. How can you run out? Whoever is doing the ordering needs to pay more attention.

Jamaican Gates was okay, DW's Jerk Chicken was excellent. I wanted to try the Curry Goat. I liked the curry flavor, but the mutton was very fatty and had the consistency of snot, so it was rather hard to swallow. Not to mention there was more bone in it than meat. But the flavor was there, they had real good flavor.

We're going to try a burger joint in east Dallas sometime in the near future and I'll post the results here. But in the mean time, how about sharing your Triple D experiences ...

Old 05-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Executive Chef

the diner in Hyde Park NY is really fine. There are two on RT 17 in NJ near Hohokus that are also good and the famous Matasoris in Bordentown on US 130/206. THese folks know what they are doing.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
Senior Cook

"How can you run out"
It's easy, sometimes its not about whos doing the order. If you sell alot of the same item, especially because your restaurant was on tv is completely understandable. I understand when people are upset when a menu item is sold out but it happens to everyone.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
DW and I have now eaten at 2 of the places Guy has visited on his show in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Chef's Pointe in Watauga and Jamaican Gates in Arlington.

Neither of us were thrilled with Chef's Pointe, the food was not nearly as good as it sounded on TV. But we also couldn't get what we wanted because they were out ... something I find despicable in any restaurant. How can you run out? Whoever is doing the ordering needs to pay more attention.

Jamaican Gates was okay, DW's Jerk Chicken was excellent. I wanted to try the Curry Goat. I liked the curry flavor, but the mutton was very fatty and had the consistency of snot, so it was rather hard to swallow. Not to mention there was more bone in it than meat. But the flavor was there, they had real good flavor.

We're going to try a burger joint in east Dallas sometime in the near future and I'll post the results here. But in the mean time, how about sharing your Triple D experiences ...
I have only been to Texas once...but we ate in our apartment or BBQ'd outside...I found the food in the supermarkets amazing!! I do agree with you about running out of food though! they should take it off the menu before they give it to you. I much prefer to eat at home now, so I know what's gone in the food.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

It's horrible when places run out of their famous dish. Such a bummer when you show up with a craving for something and then find out you can't get it. I haven't visited any places from this show but it sounds like a good idea. I have to assume that being a vegetarian, I wouldn't have much luck with what they feature. Most of the things I've seen on the show have been very very meaty.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Yeah, for the most part they are. But he does have some veggie places he goes too, just not that many.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

He definitely does a good job of making things look appetizing. I live in Austin, I haven't seen any of the places he's visited around here on TV although I know has been to some. I definitely will be looking up where he has been here and checking it out.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Where is this East Dallas burger place? I live in east Dallas. You may surprise me. Are you speaking of Keller's?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Where is this East Dallas burger place? I live in east Dallas. You may surprise me. Are you speaking of Keller's?

It's the place that has burgers named after TV characters, I think it was called Louie's, though we never ended up making it there.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Freefallin, I've never heard of it but will check it out. It's probably on lower Greenville Ave.