"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 08-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Episode 8: Gravy! The saucier pan! Flour (again!). Really interesting episode. I have never made gravy, which is probably kind of lame. Alton makes it look really easy. He describes some of the base sauces, a few methods of how to make them, and then really gets into the roux. I didn't know you need a whisk with lots of tines for sauces, in order to prevent lumps. I guess any old whisk just won't work as well. I will have to try this out soon.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Episode 9: Thanksgiving! Turkey! The meat thermometer! Flat racks! Cranberry Sauce! Lots of weird relatives!

Interesting episode. Yet another item I probably won't ever cook, but I liked the episode. They did a bit on the original Thanksgiving dinner, and how Abe Lincoln made Thanksgiving an official holiday after much prodding from Sarah Josepha Hale.

Some of the comedy bits were good, like Alton's "aunt".

I noticed that Alton definitely says do not put stuffing in the turkey before cooking it. Too dangerous! He instead puts in some herbs and some roasted apples and onions. Interesting idea. I'll mention it to my stepmom to see her reaction . (She makes amazing meals. Truly a talented cook. But she's also very old-fashioned about things like stuffing.)

Old 08-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Episode 10: The Onion! The electric skillet! Onion soup!

This I will have to make. I have an electric skillet, and I love onion soup. It's a bit more involved than I thought it would be, but I bet it will be worth it.

Every time I hear onion, though, I hear it like that old Cajun TV chef from the early 90's used to say it: awn-yawn.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
Cook

There are no more Good Eats in the world for us and that is a very sad thing. We should petition FoodNetwork & AB to somehow continue the series.

I am new to the cooking experience and missed original airings of Good Eats. So I must use Wikipedia to list the episodes and YouTube to play each and every one. I am up to to season 3 so far. The subject matter in every episode is spot on target. AB's delivery was fresh and entertaining...even the corny parts.

I enjoy AB in his role as MC on Iron Chef America and watch regularly, but feel his better talents are diminished in that role.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Good Eats is moving to Cooking Channel starting the end of September. No new episodes but they will be running the series at 8 PM (it's traditional time slot from Food Network.)