"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 05-30-2009, 04:14 AM   #61
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
Made me LOL. Had a neighbor growing up from the Pitts area. Yins was normal to hear. Sometime yous as well.. I've traveled all over and LOVE the sounds of all the ways the world speaks but, the best way to understand anyone is with food. What a universal language it is.
I've also broke bread with some that I couldn't understand a word they said but the food bridged that gap.
ok i know what yous means being from ne nj but what does yins means?

Old 05-30-2009, 07:15 AM   #62
Senior Cook

cooking like language flavors life. Some food to me is to bland and some words to spicey. I guess it is true for looks clothes humour faith and politics. They can fire you up or leave you cold. IMHO The real art is to step outside of yourself to recognize what emotions are playing within you due to the flavors of life and then savour the realization.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:15 AM   #63
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooksie View Post
Justin Wilson had gray hair, wore suspenders, and purposely used non-standard English (not that you do ) and still charmed us all. You just might qualify for your own cooking show. Depends on what you cook. I sure liked his cajun dishes. He was a hoot!
There was another one too; grillin' expert, hillbilly-type---- Larry the Cable Guy reminds me of him...
can't remember his name tho'..................
Old 05-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #64
Sous Chef

Quote:
ok i know what yous means being from ne nj but what does yins means?
It's like "you'uns"
Old 05-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #65
Head Chef

like "all y'all" ??

but, my favorite is "youts" (my cousin vinny)

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #66
Sous Chef

I've spend almost 20 years in the south. I find myself saying all 'y'all sometimes. It's like speaking Japanese when you're in Japan. They understand you better. LOL
Old 05-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #67
Master Chef

anyhoo, i like giada. she's so enthused! & i love when someone she's related to is on her show, cooking eith her.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #68
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
Giada's show pioneered some of the close camera work we now take for granted on foodtv. And of course those sounds of onion being chopped or sizzling in the pan...

I noticed this again the other day. The sounds of the food cooking, the the crust of the bread crunching as she slices, the sound of the pasta mixing with the creamy sauce as she mixes it, etc. really give you a feel for the food and makes your mouth water.

It's possible to attack ANY TV cooking show and criticize the host. But it's supposed to be about the food and if you don't like the food, you get to switch to another show.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

agreed, Andy. I must have really been crabby when I had my original thought. Giada's fine, even tho her "assets" don't register as strongly with me as with some of you guys (now if you want to talk about Jacques' or the Dinner Impossible guy's assets, I'm there!).

In fact, I recently lifted an idea from Giada that I posted over on the appetizers thread.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #70
Cook

The World according to Italy. At least in her eyes. It's as if no other country knows how to cook.

And love how she speaks Italian for those special things only belonging to Italy.

Spi-ghitti

The Cooking Lady
Treklady is offline   Reply With Quote