Need to find this recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoieMichelle

Assistant Cook
Hello All, I saw a recipe on tv a week or two ago... I don't remember which network or the name of the chef. I remember that the chef was female & she was making a meal for her brother that was visiting her. The recipe was a potato cake. It consisted of thinly sliced potatoes, soaking them in cream, then pressing the potato slices into a cake pan & baking them with weight on top.
Did anyone else see this show? I have searched the web and cannot find this recipe anywhere. Can anyone help me with this??

That would be Dover, NH, USA.

Dauphinoise is much more complex than the recipe I'm looking for. Thanks for trying though! I appreciate any help I can get.

I'm wondering if it's one of Ina Garten's or Rhee Drummond's recipes. Is it called a potato cake, or more of a tart or gratin?

Trying to remember who might have had a brother on recently. Trisha Yearwood?

Had trouble finding a recipe with all your qualifications. However does Pommes anna, Potato Galette or Potato Pave ring any bells. It seems like you have a version of Scalloped Potatoes molded in a pan and compressed with a weight similar to a Galette. Cooks Country Website has a recipe for this. Would Ann Burrell [Food Network] be your chef? Her recipe is for Potatoes Pave[Cake]

Last edited:
Try Crispy Potato Galette.

http://www.redbookmag.comGratin

or Gratin Dauphinoise!

Gratin Dauphinoise | Essential Pepin

I only fix potatoes a couple of times a year and I usually make these simple cheese potatoes from my childhood! [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cheese Potatoes (serves 4, well maybe 2)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons butter or margarine[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons all-purpose flour[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 teaspoon salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/4 teaspoon pepper[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1-1/4 cups milk[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]3/4 cup shredded, processed American cheese[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]3 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced[/FONT]
Par boil potatoes, drain, dry and place in a buttered casserole and top with sauce made from other ingredients. Bake at 350 until bubbly and brown on top approx. 45 minutes.

Notes:
I usually make these using a can of whole potatoes from the emergency shelf. Great when someone drops in unexpectedly or during a howling blizzard!

Can you describe what the person looked like? That might help us foodies identify who it might have been. I'm thinking of that Irish Chef who has the show on PBS, but I cant remember her name...

Had trouble finding a recipe with all your qualifications. However does Pommes anna, Potato Galette or Potato Pave ring any bells. It seems like you have a version of Scalloped Potatoes molded in a pan and compressed with a weight similar to a Galette. Cooks Country Website has a recipe for this. Would Ann Burrell [Food Network] be your chef? Her recipe is for Potatoes Pave[Cake]

Well I know the chef wasn't Ann Burrell. But I'll check the potato pave recipe. Thanks!

Can you describe what the person looked like? That might help us foodies identify who it might have been. I'm thinking of that Irish Chef who has the show on PBS, but I cant remember her name...

I think is was Rachel Allen; thanks Aunt Bea!
But I still can't find the recipe... I will keep looking.
Thanks everyone for your help!

Could it have possibly been Laura Calder?

This sounds a lot like the recipe you describe:
Potatoes Anna : Recipes : Cooking Channel

And if that isn't the one, she has several other classic potato recipes in this video:
S1E26 - French Food at Home - (The Perfect Potato) - Laura Calder - YouTube
Love Laura Calder (and her recipes). I have made several (her Tuscany milk pork roast is one of my favs) of her recipes my go-to recipes. Steve--I think you found it--she weighs the potatoes down. The music in the background during her French Food at Home show is very distinctive, so if you can't remember her name, maybe you would remember the music?

Last edited:
Dauphinois sounds so similar and SO easy. You really can't go wrong. Look it up and try it. it is one of my favorite potato recipes because it is excellent with Duck, Chicken or Lamb and EVERYONE adores it. Also, you really don't need anything else but the meat unless you choose to.

Could it have possibly been Laura Calder?

This sounds a lot like the recipe you describe:
Potatoes Anna : Recipes : Cooking Channel

And if that isn't the one, she has several other classic potato recipes in this video:
S1E26 - French Food at Home - (The Perfect Potato) - Laura Calder - YouTube

YES!!! Potatoes Anna is it! Thank you!!! I'm grilling some lamb chops tonight & this sounds so much better than boiled potatoes & without being too rich. Some sauteed green beans & I'm done!

Back
Top Bottom