"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Sandra Lee's Table Scapes?

I love watching all food network shows, some more than others. One of which I am not a huge fan of is sandra lee. I know it is all bout semi-homemade, but I just do not like to use that much store bought help. I can live with that part of the show though, but the table scapes is what really turns me off. I mean she makes these over the top table settings and tries to make it seem like it is easy and anyone can do it. I caught the end of her show yesterday and she had a chair on the table. She used spray paint and painted it, then put some fabric stuff on it. Then she covered it in fake flowers. I mean who in their right mind would put a chair on the table as a centerpiece?? Of course she had to make the place settings all fancy to. So am I the only one who thinks her table scapes are way too over the top, and just not fesiable? Has anyone here actually done one of her table scapes?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Wouldn't be caught dead with all that nonsense -
Watched her show maybe 2 times - more than enough.

Bordain said she takes a can of crap adds it to another can of crap
mixes in something unprocessed and produces new crap.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Senior Cook

That is pretty much her show. I mean she buys chopped vegetables. Sure she can afford to buy them already chopped, but how many home cooks can and will pay extra for already pre chopped vegetables?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
Honey Badger

Rachel Ray does the same thing.
A lazy cook is a lazy cook.

And they make how much a year??
Old 03-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I will never, ever forget SL's show on a romantic picnic in the woods. She took a chandelier to the woods..........I kid you not.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
Senior Cook

A chandelier to the woods?? I love the fact how she has fabric for everything. I mean with the amount of fabric and plates she uses she must have a huge huge storage place. She seems to use different plates for every episode, and thinks that is economical for most people.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonkeytree View Post
That is pretty much her show. I mean she buys chopped vegetables. Sure she can afford to buy them already chopped, but how many home cooks can and will pay extra for already pre chopped vegetables?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Rachel Ray does the same thing.
A lazy cook is a lazy cook.

And they make how much a year??
I don't regularly watch their shows. I have watched them and don't enjoy them.

However,you'd be surprised how many people appreciate some of her's and Rachel's short cuts. There are a lot of home cooks who are short on time and have to put a meal on the table in a hurry every night.

There's nothing wrong with short cuts. We all use them.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonkeytree View Post
A chandelier to the woods?? I love the fact how she has fabric for everything. I mean with the amount of fabric and plates she uses she must have a huge huge storage place. She seems to use different plates for every episode, and thinks that is economical for most people.
I think the point is if you are having a special occasion, you pick one and use it. She has some interesting ideas. The thought process is to help, not be budget friendly to buy every tablescape she presents.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Can I just say that rachel ray and sandra lee are completly different in their styles of cooking. I would say rachel ray does most of the cooking and does not use much store bought help. Sure she will use store bought help when making desserts, but that is only because she cannot bake and she only has 30 minutes to make a meal, which makes it hard to bake and make the rest of meal in 30 minutes. In my opinion rachel ray is not a lazy cook. You see her chop and do lots of other things she could get done right at the store, but decides to do herself.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
Executive Chef

And Sandra Lee's show is called "SEMI-HOMEMADE" ~ she's following a premise, if she couldn't cook, she wouldn't have her own shows on the Food Network.

Rachel and Sandra cater to specific audiences. I don't think Sandra is lazy, I think her show is directed to people who just don't cook everyday or have the time. If you research her background, making processed foods work is something she's not foreign to. She grew up wondering some days if her family would even have food to eat that day.