"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Dehydrator Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Why wasn't this put in the Dehydrating section?

Munky.
lol, ya...point of order brought before the members and the board.
No action was taken .

County Fairs and swap meets if anyone's looking for homemade jerky. Tis the season for county fairs .
__________________

__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #22
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
They look fantastic rock! How long did it take in your Dehydrator?

What kind of marinade did you use? Or is that a trade secret? Hope not I'd like to try it out, if you would be so kind as to share. Hint- Hint...

The BIGGIE question is... Why wasn't this put in the Dehydrating section? Looks too tasty to be here hiding out in the beef section... Just sayin'.

Munky.
Sorry for putting it in the wrong section. I forgot there was a dehydrator section.
My recipe is very easy. One good thing about eye of round it that it takes very little cleaning and trimming. I slice the roast into half inch slices and then cut them up into 1/4 inch pieces. I cut it a bit thicker than most recipes ask for so it is a bit easier to chew. If you freeze some of it and take out small batches it is fine for a few days in the fridge.

I use about half a cup of soy sauce, 2 tblsp worchestershire, few dashes of liquid smoke, 1/4 brown sugar, 1 tblsp chili powder, 1 tblsp onion powder, 1 tbls garlic powder, 1 tsp chili flakes and marinate this in a tupperware container for 24 hours. I put it in the dehydrator last night at 10 o'clock and it was ready about 7 o'clock this morning. I let it cool for about half an hour, then put it in the fridge.
__________________

__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #23
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Sorry for putting it in the wrong section. I forgot there was a dehydrator section.
My recipe is very easy. One good thing about eye of round it that it takes very little cleaning and trimming. I slice the roast into half inch slices and then cut them up into 1/4 inch pieces. I cut it a bit thicker than most recipes ask for so it is a bit easier to chew. If you freeze some of it and take out small batches it is fine for a few days in the fridge.

I use about half a cup of soy sauce, 2 tblsp worchestershire, few dashes of liquid smoke, 1/4 brown sugar, 1 tblsp chili powder, 1 tblsp onion powder, 1 tbls garlic powder, 1 tsp chili flakes and marinate this in a tupperware container for 24 hours. I put it in the dehydrator last night at 10 o'clock and it was ready about 7 o'clock this morning. I let it cool for about half an hour, then put it in the fridge.
Oh no, don't be sorry.. I'm one of those that see's a jerky recipe it always catches my attention... Kinda like a dog to a good bone. MINE!!!.
Saw your finished pic this morning thought I had better speak up before it got lost amongst the Cattle Rustlers over there. You know how they are.

Sounds like a winner of a recipe. Thank you for giving it up. Plan on trying it out real soon.. I'm terrible I know. Just call me Terrible Tina,Jerk Munky!

Working the Butcher tomorrow. I'll see if he can get get me some eye of round. If not will a Sirloin Roast, cut the same be alright?

Thanks again.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #24
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,703
Costco has nice eye round roasts, stocked regularly. Vons, Ralphs and Albertsons (US) will put some out, but not all the time. I buy eye round roasts more than any other kind of roast. It's a bit lean, but I like it. The first meal with it is mashed potatoes, gravy and peas. After that first dinner, I get out my Krups slicer and shave of super thin slices to use for Au jus dip on rolls with french fries and cole slaw.
__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #25
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Here I am, reviving an old thread again. I have a dehydrator that I bought at a yard sale with the intentions of making some beef jerky and never did. Now I have a piece of meat in the freezer and I'm ready to go. I saw the "recipe" that RockLobster posted and figured I'd follow along with that, but I have a question. I heard that it's easier to slice the meat when it's still partially frozen. Is that right? Also, do you slice the meat and then marinate? That pretty much sounds like common sense, but I want to be sure. Is there a temperature setting on the dehydrator, or just one heat. I haven't really looked at it since I bought it.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #26
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Here I am, reviving an old thread again. I have a dehydrator that I bought at a yard sale with the intentions of making some beef jerky and never did. Now I have a piece of meat in the freezer and I'm ready to go. I saw the "recipe" that RockLobster posted and figured I'd follow along with that, but I have a question. I heard that it's easier to slice the meat when it's still partially frozen. Is that right? Also, do you slice the meat and then marinate? That pretty much sounds like common sense, but I want to be sure. Is there a temperature setting on the dehydrator, or just one heat. I haven't really looked at it since I bought it.
I've tried Rocks recipe. It was excellent!

Yes it's easier to slice the meat into thin strips while it's partially frozen. You have more control over the visual outcome of the slices. Yep slice-marinate- dehydrate. Easier said then chewed.

Check your dehydrator for the temp control. It should be easy to see.Some have them some don't. What kind is it?
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #27
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,703
I gave up making beef jerky. I ate it all up in about a 10th the time it took to make.
__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #28
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,248
Carol, check with the store butcher to see if he'll slice it really thin. Back when I would buy the beef for our son to make into jerky I could talk the butcher into slicing it nearly wafer-thin even though it was raw. I have no idea what Goober mixed together for his marinade (all I remember is going through lots of soy sauce there for a while) but it always turned out great. When I had the dehydrator (we've passed it back and forth over the years) I asked him his secret blend and his answer was "I haven't a clue". Hmm, seems like all he did was line up half my pantry and mix, dip finger, lick, mix some more, dip a different finger, etc. He always figured out to make it taste just right before he ran out of clean fingers though.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #29
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Carol, check with the store butcher to see if he'll slice it really thin. Back when I would buy the beef for our son to make into jerky I could talk the butcher into slicing it nearly wafer-thin even though it was raw. I have no idea what Goober mixed together for his marinade (all I remember is going through lots of soy sauce there for a while) but it always turned out great. When I had the dehydrator (we've passed it back and forth over the years) I asked him his secret blend and his answer was "I haven't a clue". Hmm, seems like all he did was line up half my pantry and mix, dip finger, lick, mix some more, dip a different finger, etc. He always figured out to make it taste just right before he ran out of clean fingers though.

I already bought the meat and have it in the freezer. I think my son told me it's easier to slice if it's still a little bit frozen. I think I want it about 1/4 inch thick. I am just going to cut back a little on the worcestershire sauce in the recipe here and go for it. What's the worst that can happen?
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #30
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
The jerky marinated overnight and is in the dehydrator as I type. Next time I think I will buy Eye of Round roast. This meat I bought has a bit of marbling in it. I watched a couple videos on U-Tube...watched them cut the meat and prepare the marinate. So far, it went fine. Isn't it neat how you can watch someone do just about anything o U-tube.
__________________

__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.