Makin' Jerky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They look fantastic rock! How long did it take in your Dehydrator?

What kind of marinade did you use? Or is that a trade secret? Hope not I'd like to try it out, if you would be so kind as to share. Hint- Hint...:ROFLMAO:

The BIGGIE question is... Why wasn't this put in the Dehydrating section? Looks too tasty to be here hiding out in the beef section... Just sayin'.

Munky.
Sorry for putting it in the wrong section. I forgot there was a dehydrator section.
My recipe is very easy. One good thing about eye of round it that it takes very little cleaning and trimming. I slice the roast into half inch slices and then cut them up into 1/4 inch pieces. I cut it a bit thicker than most recipes ask for so it is a bit easier to chew. If you freeze some of it and take out small batches it is fine for a few days in the fridge.

I use about half a cup of soy sauce, 2 tblsp worchestershire, few dashes of liquid smoke, 1/4 brown sugar, 1 tblsp chili powder, 1 tblsp onion powder, 1 tbls garlic powder, 1 tsp chili flakes and marinate this in a tupperware container for 24 hours. I put it in the dehydrator last night at 10 o'clock and it was ready about 7 o'clock this morning. I let it cool for about half an hour, then put it in the fridge.

Sorry for putting it in the wrong section. I forgot there was a dehydrator section.
My recipe is very easy. One good thing about eye of round it that it takes very little cleaning and trimming. I slice the roast into half inch slices and then cut them up into 1/4 inch pieces. I cut it a bit thicker than most recipes ask for so it is a bit easier to chew. If you freeze some of it and take out small batches it is fine for a few days in the fridge.

I use about half a cup of soy sauce, 2 tblsp worchestershire, few dashes of liquid smoke, 1/4 brown sugar, 1 tblsp chili powder, 1 tblsp onion powder, 1 tbls garlic powder, 1 tsp chili flakes and marinate this in a tupperware container for 24 hours. I put it in the dehydrator last night at 10 o'clock and it was ready about 7 o'clock this morning. I let it cool for about half an hour, then put it in the fridge.

Oh no, don't be sorry.. I'm one of those that see's a jerky recipe it always catches my attention... Kinda like a dog to a good bone. MINE!!!.
Saw your finished pic this morning thought I had better speak up before it got lost amongst the Cattle Rustlers over there. You know how they are. :LOL:

Sounds like a winner of a recipe. Thank you for giving it up. Plan on trying it out real soon.. I'm terrible I know. Just call me Terrible Tina,Jerk Munky! :LOL:

Working the Butcher tomorrow. I'll see if he can get get me some eye of round. If not will a Sirloin Roast, cut the same be alright?

Thanks again.

Munky.

Costco has nice eye round roasts, stocked regularly. Vons, Ralphs and Albertsons (US) will put some out, but not all the time. I buy eye round roasts more than any other kind of roast. It's a bit lean, but I like it. The first meal with it is mashed potatoes, gravy and peas. After that first dinner, I get out my Krups slicer and shave of super thin slices to use for Au jus dip on rolls with french fries and cole slaw.

Here I am, reviving an old thread again. I have a dehydrator that I bought at a yard sale with the intentions of making some beef jerky and never did. Now I have a piece of meat in the freezer and I'm ready to go. I saw the "recipe" that RockLobster posted and figured I'd follow along with that, but I have a question. I heard that it's easier to slice the meat when it's still partially frozen. Is that right? Also, do you slice the meat and then marinate? That pretty much sounds like common sense, but I want to be sure. Is there a temperature setting on the dehydrator, or just one heat. I haven't really looked at it since I bought it.

Here I am, reviving an old thread again. I have a dehydrator that I bought at a yard sale with the intentions of making some beef jerky and never did. Now I have a piece of meat in the freezer and I'm ready to go. I saw the "recipe" that RockLobster posted and figured I'd follow along with that, but I have a question. I heard that it's easier to slice the meat when it's still partially frozen. Is that right? Also, do you slice the meat and then marinate? That pretty much sounds like common sense, but I want to be sure. Is there a temperature setting on the dehydrator, or just one heat. I haven't really looked at it since I bought it.

I've tried Rocks recipe. It was excellent!

Yes it's easier to slice the meat into thin strips while it's partially frozen. You have more control over the visual outcome of the slices. Yep slice-marinate- dehydrate. Easier said then chewed. :LOL:

Check your dehydrator for the temp control. It should be easy to see.Some have them some don't. What kind is it?

Carol, check with the store butcher to see if he'll slice it really thin. Back when I would buy the beef for our son to make into jerky I could talk the butcher into slicing it nearly wafer-thin even though it was raw. I have no idea what Goober mixed together for his marinade (all I remember is going through lots of soy sauce there for a while) but it always turned out great. When I had the dehydrator (we've passed it back and forth over the years) I asked him his secret blend and his answer was "I haven't a clue". Hmm, seems like all he did was line up half my pantry and mix, dip finger, lick, mix some more, dip a different finger, etc. He always figured out to make it taste just right before he ran out of clean fingers though. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Carol, check with the store butcher to see if he'll slice it really thin. Back when I would buy the beef for our son to make into jerky I could talk the butcher into slicing it nearly wafer-thin even though it was raw. I have no idea what Goober mixed together for his marinade (all I remember is going through lots of soy sauce there for a while) but it always turned out great. When I had the dehydrator (we've passed it back and forth over the years) I asked him his secret blend and his answer was "I haven't a clue". Hmm, seems like all he did was line up half my pantry and mix, dip finger, lick, mix some more, dip a different finger, etc. He always figured out to make it taste just right before he ran out of clean fingers though. :LOL:

I already bought the meat and have it in the freezer. I think my son told me it's easier to slice if it's still a little bit frozen. I think I want it about 1/4 inch thick. I am just going to cut back a little on the worcestershire sauce in the recipe here and go for it. What's the worst that can happen?

The jerky marinated overnight and is in the dehydrator as I type. Next time I think I will buy Eye of Round roast. This meat I bought has a bit of marbling in it. I watched a couple videos on U-Tube...watched them cut the meat and prepare the marinate. So far, it went fine. Isn't it neat how you can watch someone do just about anything o U-tube.

One thing I like about the whole process is that there it is very forgiving. You will always get an edible result, as long as you go with the usual type recipes and procedures. You can later tweak things such as marinade flavorings, thickness of beef, and dehydrator times to get the results you prefer.

I make jerky every year, just not with beef. I do wild game, deer, elk, buffalo(my fav) and have even made some with mountain lion and mountain goat! I don't like it too dry, so pink salt is added to my recipes. I have done it in the oven, dehydrator have even dried some in my old cabin. A small room with a potbelly stove blocked off with Styrofoam, wire strung along the ceiling and meat hung off paper clips.

Well, I didn't like my jerky. I thought I had done something wrong. But my daughter and her husband came over today and they went wild over it. She couldn't believe I made it. I told her it didn't seem right to me but she said fresh jerky is totally different from the package stuff they sell in the store. They go to a store where they make fresh sausage etc, and she said they sell their jerky for $25.00 per lb. So now she wants me to make it and sell it. LOL Not going to happen. So now that I know that it's right, I'm looking forward to doing it again. Eye of Round next time instead of London Broil.

Thank you to everyone who gave me the information.

I make jerky every year, just not with beef. I do wild game, deer, elk, buffalo(my fav) and have even made some with mountain lion and mountain goat! I don't like it too dry, so pink salt is added to my recipes. I have done it in the oven, dehydrator have even dried some in my old cabin. A small room with a potbelly stove blocked off with Styrofoam, wire strung along the ceiling and meat hung off paper clips.

I just saw a recipe online from Alton Brown from Food Network. His instructions were to place the jerky on air conditioner filters and fasten the filters to a box fan with bungee cord. What the???????????

I was watching Diners Drive Ins and Dives and I saw someone make Beef Jerky using just a dry rub instead of a wet marinate. Who has heard of that before?

I have made jerky with a dry rub, but I prefer the wet marinade, if I use one. Occasionally, I just dry the meat in a smoker, no salt, no added flavors. I haven't done that it a long time.
Down the road from here, there is a Latino family. Last fall, they had strips of dried meat hanging from their clothesline. As I have been by the house many times since, they all seem to be well and healthy. I just wouldn't trust it given the humidity in these parts.
I have heard of folks drying meat on twine strung in the inside of their vehicle.

I have made jerky with a dry rub, but I prefer the wet marinade, if I use one. Occasionally, I just dry the meat in a smoker, no salt, no added flavors. I haven't done that it a long time.
Down the road from here, there is a Latino family. Last fall, they had strips of dried meat hanging from their clothesline. As I have been by the house many times since, they all seem to be well and healthy. I just wouldn't trust it given the humidity in these parts.
I have heard of folks drying meat on twine strung in the inside of their vehicle.

I think the reason I want to try the dry rub is that after making my first batch of jerky I realized not only do I not like Worstershire sauce, but I don't like soy sauce either. I eat a few splashes of it on Chinese food, but I don't like it enough to have a strong flavor of it. I thought something was wrong with my jerky but my family said it was excellent.

I didn't know you could dry it without any flavoring at all. The dry rub I saw calls for a lot of brown sugar and with my diabetes, I really shouldn't be having that. Maybe I will just try a bit of commercial bar-b-que dry rub. I could always do the wet marinate for my family but keep some out to do a dry rub for me.

Back
Top Bottom