"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-12-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Bird Flu?

But i have to ask this.

Do any of you plan on altering your chicken / egg eating habits due to the bird flu scare?? I understand that you can get it by breathing the air just as easily, but do you think you can help tilt the odds in you favor by avoiding chix/eggs?
Also, do you think that eating free range will help?

Sorry if this is a foul in the fowl forum... but i had to ask!!

Old 10-12-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
Master Chef

Yours is a very good question!

Supposedly bird flu is transmitted to humans through contact with infected live poultry and is not spread to humans through food.

So I am not going to change of my eating habits.

Yet ...

Old 10-12-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Depends.For example in Ontario Canada we can only purchase Ontario chicken,actually each province can only sell within their province.Our poultry board at work protecting the industry and insuring that our product (poultry) gets worse and worse tasting each year.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:06 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I'm not changing my eating habits. Like foodaholic, I'm eating Canadian chicken and we haven't had problem where I am. :)
Old 10-12-2005, 06:29 PM   #5
Master Chef

I don't think that will be necessary. The chickens and eggs we eat are raised here in the USA, USDA inspected and all that.
Quite frankly, I don't think free range chickens are all they are cracked up to be. My dad, who grew up on a farm, used to call them grasshopper chickens, and that was fairly discreet, considering what all they eat. I know several people around here who raise their own "good country" chickens, and, to me, they have a "strong" taste.
I'd rather have a Tyson
The problem comes from people in Asia who live in close proximity with their animals.There is a very informative article about it in the last National Geographic. The virus keeps mutating until it spreads from the animals to the people, then person to person. Now that there are so many people traveling to all corners of the world, it doesn't take long for something like that to spread.

I think our best defense against the flu is to keep our bodies healthy and put the right things in it. Our bodies have built-in defenses that work very well, but just like your automobile engine, if you put junk in it, it can't run efficiently. The right food, sufficient liquid intake, enough sleep, exercise, and a good mental state will be our best defense against illness.
That being said, I have RA, which is an auto-immune disease, and this threat is pretty scary to me.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I dont plan on changing my eating habits either. While I have concerns and will keep a watchful eye out for the spread of this flu, at the moment I dont have cause to worry.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:24 PM   #7
Executive Chef

much is spread thru fecal matter so it is those working and lliving in close proximity to the birds. eating cooked chicken or eggs should not spread the disease.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:26 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
nope i like chicken too much !!!!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 08:30 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Nope..
but if our chickens show even one sign of sickness... they're gone. Bye bye birdie!
Old 10-12-2005, 09:11 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
Nope..
but if our chickens show even one sign of sickness... they're gone. Bye bye birdie!
just curious...if they do show just a slight sign of sickness, and u kill them..what do you do with em after?

not trying to be funny either, i have never had chickens but know enough to know they are dumb as nails. when i was a kid i watched one die from drowning while staring up at the rain.

i have always wondered how something that tastes so good could be so dumb!

Tags
None