Chicken Marsala

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooksie

Senior Cook
This turned out very tasty. I used an Emeril recipe and tweaked it to suit me.

3420455581_a73fa32855.jpg

sO WHAT EXACTLY DID YOU DO? oops. sorry about that. Can you please post the recipe and your "tweaking".

I used this basic recipe, but I used chicken tenders (very little pounding to get them thin enough) instead of breast halves, regular white button mushrooms, a can of chicken broth instead of stock, a recipe and a half of the sauce, and parsley instead of chives. I just used what I had on hand, but I bet it would really be good with stock and the mixture of mushrooms.

Chicken Marsala Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

Here, I'll post mine and hope that Cooksie posts her's:

Chicken Marsala

Ingredients

8 chicken cutlets
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large shallot, finely chopped
2 to 3 garlic cloves, smashed
2 ounces portabella mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup sweet Marsala
3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth

Directions

Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 of the cutlets and cook until golden brown, about a minute or two per side. Remove chicken to a plate. Add another tablespoon and olive, if needed. Sauté the remaining chicken.

Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the shallot and garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add a tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and sauté until tender and the juices evaporate, roughly 3 minutes. Season with kosher salt. Add the Marsala. Simmer until the Marsala reduces by half, about 2 minutes. Add the broth. Simmer until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Return the chicken to the skillet. Pour in all of the pan juices. Cook just until heated through, turning to coat, about 1 minute. Stir the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter into the sauce. Then season the sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.

Serve with pasta or over rice. I usually make spaghetti with olive oil and garlic and serve with a nice, crusty baguette.

Chicken Marsala is a favorite!!! Nice job too! I love the fact that you tweaked it to use what you had on hand. That's what cooking is all about. Pictures are always a plus - thanks.

Your appetizing photo reminded me how much I like Chicken Marsala, and how long it has been since I've made it.

I always use whole wheat bread crumbs for the final crust, because that's what we have on hand. Thinking I need to do this soon. ;)

I love Chicken Marsala & have tried many recipes over the years. Here's my own adaptation that's quick, easy, & delicious.

Easy Breezy Chicken Marsala

1 package boneless skinless chicken breasts, chicken cutlets, or chicken tenders. (If using chicken breasts, pound them into cutlets.)
2 cups of flour seasoned to taste with salt, granulated garlic, & freshly ground black pepper
Approx. 8 ounces (or 16 ounces if you love mushrooms as much as I do) of Cremini mushrooms, sliced (White Button mushrooms can be substituted)
Extra-virgin olive oil & unsalted butter
One large wine glass of Marsala wine (approx. 8 ounces)
Dash of chicken stock (homemade or bought – I like Swanson’s cartons)
Approx. ½ cup chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley (optional)

Preheat oven to lowest (warm) setting.

Place seasoned flour & chicken in a Ziploc bag & turn gently until chicken is completely coated.

Heat some extra-virgin olive oil & a few pats of butter in a non-stick pan until hot, but not smoking. Cook chicken (in batches if necessary) approx. 3-4 minutes on each side - depending on thickness - until cooked thru & lightly browned. Transfer to plate/platter & place in oven to keep warm.

Add additional olive oil & butter to pan, if necessary, & add mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms have given up their liquid & are “just” starting to brown a bit. Stir in Marsala wine, dash of chicken stock, & a little more butter.

Plate chicken & pour mushroom/wine sauce over. Top with chopped parsley & serve.

Normally I accompany this dish with sliced sautéed potatoes or egg noodles, a green vegetable like plain boiled or steamed broccoli &/or a large green salad.

I LOVE to pop mine in the oven right at the end and top with Fontina and the green part of a spring onion. :pig: Bake until melty, maybe 10 minutes.

Oh, my GOODness! What a great idea, Elf! I am really Jonesing for some Chicken Marsala now. May have to change up the weekend menu plans. :pig:

Back
Top Bottom