"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-02-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Chicken Marsala, what should it contain?

I noticed we had some chicken breasts, and I have a ton of mushrooms, and we ended up getting some Marsala wine yesterday.

I don't have a recipe on file, so I went looking. I've been reading a few recipe off the internet, and noticed that there are very few common ingredients between the different versions, other than chicken, seasoning, flour, and the Marsala. Some recipes have mushrooms, some don't, some use onions, some shallots, and one even had beef demi-glace!

What do you all think Chicken Marsala should have, other than chicken and Marsala wine?

Old 02-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
Everymom

Allen, check out kitchenelf's recipe for this. I think it will help you figure stuff out.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I have never seen Chicken Marsala without mushrooms. For my it is chicken, marsala wine, and mushrooms (even though I pick them out cause I don't like em). Simple and delicious.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I have never seen Chicken Marsala without mushrooms. For my it is chicken, marsala wine, and mushrooms (even though I pick them out cause I don't like em). Simple and delicious.
Yep, I agree. Though most recipes I have seen also use onion or shallots. But hey all use GB's three main ingredients.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Do you have a veal marsala dish you prepare/enjoy? The procedure is pretty much the same, except for cooking time. The common ingredient is the Marsala. Re what 'should' go into the dish, is a matter of your taste. That's what makes cooking an adventure. Sometimes I prefer shallots over onions. Re the shrooms -- get creative - try shiitakes or a variety of mushrooms. Try a volintini (sp) type procedure, cooked in marsala. Invent your own dish.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Don't Know

Marsala, is that the brand or the flavor? Sorry never tried this. Have to run to store to see is they have it. Can you drink this alone or is it used for flavoring? Thanks
Old 02-02-2006, 12:08 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
must have mushrooms... like gb though i pick them out
Old 02-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

While my DH and I both enjoy veal marsala, none of the kids do so I usually make the chicken version. I've made it for so long now that I always add shallots, garlic, then a sweet marsala and a sprig of rosemary to my sauce..I know many are going to say, what? sweet marsala, what, rosemary..yep that is what I do..We all prefer it this way...This to me is a dish that we can play with just for the fun of it and enjoy what we've made. What is nice is that we all toss out our ideas and it gives us different cocepts as to what others do, so we can change things around or leave them be

kadesma
Old 02-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I agree kadesma. I would not go with a standard recipe, unless, one has never made it before. Another thought, try adding some artichoke hearts sauteed in the marsala. The only common denominator in marsala dishes, imo, is the marsala.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Forget It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Marsala, is that the brand or the flavor? Sorry never tried this. Have to run to store to see is they have it. Can you drink this alone or is it used for flavoring? Thanks
Forget It!! Too big of hurry I didn't read the recipe thoroughly said it is dry wine. Forgive my haste. go will ask for dry marsala wine.

Tags
None