Chicken Pot Pie: Rec. and Questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
Hey gang!! Im going to attempt my first chicken pot pie this evening. I have the following recipie and I have a question about the pie crust. It says to use frozen prepared crust. Do these crusts have a lid or am I going to need to make one?? Can I just buy 2 of them and make a lid from the second?

Any advice you all can give would be great!! I am also wondering if you have suggestions as to the overall recipie. I am wondering if there is some way to maby "thicken" it up some??

INGREDIENTS:

• 3 bone-in chicken breast halves, skinless
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 3 potatoes
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 3 stalks celery
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1 to taste salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 (9 inch) frozen prepared pie crust, thawed
DIRECTIONS:

1. Wash chicken breasts in water and then place in a pot with water just to cover the chicken add some salt and pepper and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, turn off heat and cover. Let cool in the pot.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  3. Wash and cut potatoes into bite size pieces and boil till almost fork tender. Drain and set aside.
  4. Wash celery and cut to bite-size pieces. Cut onion to bite-size pieces.
  5. In a large heavy skillet, over medium heat, saute celery and onion with 2 tablespoons oil, for 5 to 8 minutes. Add the frozen vegetables and cook another 5 minutes. Add flour and cook about 30 seconds.
  6. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. After it has become thick, add potatoes.
  7. Remove chicken from pot and cut into bite-size pieces and add to vegetable mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  8. Pour mixture into a 9 inch deep dish pie plate and cover with pie shell. Make sure you crimp the edges of the pie shell to the plate so no juices spill in oven.
  9. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes or until pie shell is cooked and golden brown.

A package of pie crusts contains two crusts, enough to make one pie.

To thicken the recipe, use less broth. Try 1/2 cup of broth and 1/2 cup of light (coffee) cream.

Consider adding some sliced mushrooms to the celery and onion saute.

I like to season chicken pie with a little thyme.

mmmm...that sounds deliscious!! Another question about the crust. Is there any specific kind I should get? I see them online made of various things like grham crackers, etc.

Pillsbury sells a package containing two pastry pie crusts. Every supermarket will have them.

You don't want to use a graham cracker crust for chicken pie. Use pastry crusts.

The 2 tbls of flour will be enough thickener for the chicken broth. If I were you, I'd simmer the chicken breasts in the broth plus a little water, as this will give more flavor to your chicken AND your broth.
Personally, I'd want a little thigh meat in it too, but that's just me.

I only use a top crust on my pot pies...the bottom crust soaks up the juice, making it soggy and the filling taste dry...in my opinion. Your recipe only calls for one crust, if you read it carefully.

I don't want to mess up your plans but here is a TNT recipe that I use quite a lot. It also may just give you some ideas of what you'd like to do with your pot pie. I throw anything in that sounds good. I like mushrooms in there and corn is good too. There is also a recipe included for a parm crust if you want to make that. There is a roux in here to thicken it up, or you can add cheese to thicken!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/chicken-pot-pie-13131.html
there are pictures in the thread also! Good luck! Let us know how it turns out mugsy!

Back
Top Bottom