"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I just made some wings, baking them with the sauce on them...didn't see your post until now :( They didn't taste that great because I think the chicken was marginal in freshness, even though the package was dated December 9th. I hate whether that happens! Bad chicken tastes bad no matter what sauce you put on it!
Very true. But also, play with the sauce recipe until you get something that suits you as well. In a honey-mustard sauce, I think that the sauce may not be so tasty on chicken if not tasty on its own. I think I'd skip butter in a honey-mustard sauce, but that is just me. Did you use that recipe?

Consider something like this - but add the sauce after the wings are crispy.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Sorry to hear about your experience with the chicken! I guess if the sauce is really tasty when you have chicken in a restaurant, it's hard to tell. I should have known the chicken I bought was bad because it smelled kind of funky right out of the package. Next time, I'm bringing it back to the supermarket and getting a refund!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen

Very true. But also, play with the sauce recipe until you get something that suits you as well. In a honey-mustard sauce, I think that the sauce may not be so tasty on chicken if not tasty on its own. I think I'd skip butter in a honey-mustard sauce, but that is just me. Did you use that recipe?
I just made a mixture of sunflower oil, honey, and salt. I forgot about the mustard :( It tasted pretty bland. At first I couldn't tell if the wings weren't tasty because of the chicken or the sauce. I think it was probably both.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
Cupcake

There are few things as bad as rancid chicken! Definitely take it back if not good.

Try a recipe like this...but add after the chicken is already crispy. I think the sauce sounds yummy. Not sure if I would add so much curry, if any.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Thanks so much, Kathleen. Rancid chicken tastes awful, and now my whole kitchen smells like it! I think I need to buy my chicken directly from the butcher or at Whole Foods. I bought Murray's free range chicken at the supermarket, and it didn't live up to its reputation!
Old 12-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Don't trifle with poultry that seems a little off, no matter what the date says.
That's a fact! Chicken has a very distinctive smell when it's off. You can't miss it once you know what it smells like.

The first act I make when opening a bag of chicken or chicken parts is to do a almost touching, sniff test. Fresh chicken also has a very distinctive smell. The two smells are so entirely different that it can't be mistaken.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy
That's a fact! Chicken has a very distinctive smell when it's off. You can't miss it once you know what it smells like.

The first act I make when opening a bag of chicken or chicken parts is to do a almost touching, sniff test. Fresh chicken also has a very distinctive smell. The two smells are so entirely different that it can't be mistaken.
Seems that bad chicken has a kind of sour smell, right?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #18
Cook

If you can tolerate a not "from scratch" recipe, my family loves chicken wings baked with a combo of apricot preserves and dry onion soup mix. Mix equal amounts (1 jar preserves to one package soup mix) and coat wings in a non-reactive bowl. Bake at 350 on a foil lined pan, turning often, for one hour. They make a sticky mess in the pan and on your hands, but fall off the bone and please old and young alike.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Seems that bad chicken has a kind of sour smell, right?
To me, it is the same odor as a septic tank. It smells like human waste to me. The more bad it is, the stronger the odor.

I can tell the second the package is opened.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cook35 View Post
If you can tolerate a not "from scratch" recipe, my family loves chicken wings baked with a combo of apricot preserves and dry onion soup mix. Mix equal amounts (1 jar preserves to one package soup mix) and coat wings in a non-reactive bowl. Bake at 350 on a foil lined pan, turning often, for one hour. They make a sticky mess in the pan and on your hands, but fall off the bone and please old and young alike.
I'll definitely be trying this method! It sounds absolutely delicious!

Thank you!

Tags
None