"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Chicken with FORTY Cloves of Garlic

Iíve heard of this recipe before, but never thought it was serious. But it is a real recipe.

Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic Recipe: Recipes: Food Network

In another thread, Loprraine said:

Quote:
Keltin, it's delicious. I used to use my Creuset pot, and seal it with a bread and water rope to seal in the juices. The aroma when you lift off the top is incredible.

Ok, what is bread and water rope, and how do you use it?

Also, is the garlic flavor strong in this dish or mellow or what?

Anyone else make this?

Itís definitely on my short list now!

__________________

__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,162
Yep, it's great. Check your email, keltin. There should be something yummy waiting for you there.
__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 2,488
I've not made Ina Garten's recipe, but I've made Frugal Gourmet's many times astray recipes: Garlic chicken with garlic, garlic, garlic I have not made the sauce.

Now, every time I bake chicken pieces, I put a whole head of garlic cloves (separated) under the pieces, but don't use the wine. The baked garlic is very mild and delicious!

Lee
__________________
QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Iíve heard of this recipe before, but never thought it was serious. But it is a real recipe.

Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic Recipe: Recipes: Food Network

In another thread, Loprraine said:


Ok, what is bread and water rope, and how do you use it?

Also, is the garlic flavor strong in this dish or mellow or what?

Anyone else make this?

Itís definitely on my short list now!
The garlic is mellow, and you can spread some on french bread/baguette. There are several versions

James Beard's
James Beard's Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

This one's on my list, because of the artichokes (& potatoes). Adding shrooms might be a nice add-in.
OregonChickens.com: Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

And another with cherry tomatoes & basil - looks mighty tasty
Tomato Recipes - Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic Recipe - Relish
__________________
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 3,381
Sorry, I should have said a flour and water rope. Mix enough water into plain flour to form a thick dough. Roll it into a rope. Place it around the top of your pot, place lid on the dough. When the dough cooks, it seals the lid to the pot, so no juices escape. You kind of have to use something to knock it off once done. I lightly tap on it with the back of a knife. The recipe, as I remember it, because the magazine stayed in an old house, was from a Cuisine magazine, circa late 70's, very early 80's. They stopped printing years ago. The garlic gets so sweet. I start it on top of the stove, then into the oven. It's a great party dish. Serve with a really good peasant bread and a big salad.
__________________
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
qmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Puget Sound convergence zone
Posts: 997
It's based on a classic French recipe. As Amy said, very mellow garlic.

If you want in your face garlic, try toum, a Lebanese garlic sauce.
__________________
qmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine View Post
Sorry, I should have said a flour and water rope. Mix enough water into plain flour to form a thick dough. Roll it into a rope. Place it around the top of your pot, place lid on the dough. When the dough cooks, it seals the lid to the pot, so no juices escape. You kind of have to use something to knock it off once done. I lightly tap on it with the back of a knife. The recipe, as I remember it, because the magazine stayed in an old house, was from a Cuisine magazine, circa late 70's, very early 80's. They stopped printing years ago. The garlic gets so sweet. I start it on top of the stove, then into the oven. It's a great party dish. Serve with a really good peasant bread and a big salad.
Oh my gosh, Loprraine, that sounds wonderful. And I'll bet it's very dramatic to bring it to the table with the rope intact and then break it free and open it in front of guests. Thanks so much for sharing this. I'm definitely going to try this.
__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmax View Post
It's based on a classic French recipe. As Amy said, very mellow garlic.

If you want in your face garlic, try toum, a Lebanese garlic sauce.
I've never heard of toum but I have some friends and family members who love garlic. For them, there's no such thing as too much garlic so I will try this. Do you use it just like regular garlic?
__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
Head Chef
 
qmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Puget Sound convergence zone
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I've never heard of toum but I have some friends and family members who love garlic. For them, there's no such thing as too much garlic so I will try this. Do you use it just like regular garlic?
It is basically pureed raw garlic, salt & pepper, sometimes with oil. I use it with grilled, Middle Eastern seasoned chicken wings. It is absolutely delicious, but it is really in your face. I do this dish a couple of times a year. Serve it with couscous, baba ganouj and pita. My kid can put down 15 of these wings at a sitting.

Not sure what the policy is here posting links to recipes, but you can Google toum recipe and I am sure you'll get some hits. Same with the Labanese wings.
__________________
qmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Yep, it's great. Check your email, keltin. There should be something yummy waiting for you there.
Thanks Katie, just got it. My mail account marked it as Spam so I had to dig for it to find it. Dumb program! Won't happen again.

Those ribs sound great! I'm definitely going to try it. So let me ask you, if you had a choice between chicken and 40 cloves of garlic or the Short Ribs and 40 cloves (or 50 cloves......right UB?), which would you do first? I've got to try one of these first, so what are your thoughts?

Oh and....heh.......I'm gonna adapt the recipe to work in the Outdoor DO!
__________________

__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.