"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
Master Chef

Looks wonderful LT!! However I do it in the oven with 40 cloves and a cup of wine.
You're so right about the garlic, it turns nutty, not harsh and it's wonderful to dip bread in the sauce and spread a clove of garlic on the top. Real comfort food!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oooh. Yum!

Old 12-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
Honey Badger

Well mine's in the crock pot now. Have some sourdough bread ready to be toasted.
I'll use Kayell's idea for a spread. Hope I can get the onions to caramelize just a little bit.

I'm not sorry I quickly gave hubby the Bum's rush out the door. Your going to be late Dear! He thought it smelled good to..
Sorry, but smelling this dish cooking. I'm not sharing it with anybody.

Munky.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I started a crockpot around 1 p.m., with 3 frozen thighs, leftover frozen sweet peas and kernel corn, plus a little baggie with the last of the basil I grew, and great chunks of garlic.

I have the crockpot plugged in by my feet. It's nice and cozy.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #15
Everymom

Huh, I never thought of doing this in the crockpot! Good call LT, I'll be doing this one ASAP too. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #16
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Bought chicken and garlic for this today. Coming up for dinner one night...soon.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #17
Honey Badger

Done!

LT,

You outdid yourself on this one. It turned out perfectly. This recipe is a definite keeper.

Took some of the garlic cloves and made a paste with them, added it to some butter.

Spread it onto some sourdough bread, topped with mozzarella cheese, and some of the onions that had simmered in the pot. Toasted it for a few minutes on my paninni maker. Oh it was good.

Made a nice gravy with the juices. Had a side of mashed potatoes and salad to go with it.

Thank you for the great recipe.

Munky.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
LT,

You outdid yourself on this one. It turned out perfectly. This recipe is a definite keeper.

Took some of the garlic cloves and made a paste with them, added it to some butter.

Spread it onto some sourdough bread, topped with mozzarella cheese, and some of the onions that had simmered in the pot. Toasted it for a few minutes on my paninni maker. Oh it was good.

Made a nice gravy with the juices. Had a side of mashed potatoes and salad to go with it.

Thank you for the great recipe.

Munky.
Stuffed as I still am after supper this evening, your description of that bread preparation made me hungry again! Serious Yum!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

i'll be making this as soon as i get home.

results to follow.

i was thinking of tossing in a sprig of rosemary, or maybe some garlic chives.

also, if i get ambitious, i was going to brown tbe chicken in a seperate pan first. whaddya think, lt (et al)?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #20
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'll be making this as soon as i get home.

results to follow.

i was thinking of tossing in a sprig of rosemary, or maybe some garlic chives.

also, if i get ambitious, i was going to brown tbe chicken in a seperate pan first. whaddya think, lt (et al)?
Browning the chicken beforehand might dry it out. Lt's timing, I went 4 hrs, was perfect. Not at all dry.

When it's done and removed from the crock, the juices left after skimming off the fat, has a nice rich tan color. Not too dark or light. I did place some of the garlic cloves and onions around the sides, so that the heating element would brown them.
Some had caramelized.

Must say before I forget. The left over chicken ( what their was of it ) shredded. Made a great pannini. Just used a simple olive oil, herbed base, with the garlic and onion paste added to it.
Maybe save your garlic chives for that?

Munky.

Tags
chicken, recipe

Crock Pot 20 clove Chicken [SIZE=2]Crock Pot 20 clove Chicken 3-4 pounds chicken thighs 1 large onion, sliced 1 tablespoon olive oil 2 teaspoons kosher salt 2 teaspoons paprika 1 teaspoon pepper 20-40 garlic cloves, peeled, but intact In a 6 quart oval slow cooker, Place onion slices on the bottom of the stoneware insert. In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken parts with olive oil, salt, paprika, pepper, and all of the garlic cloves. Transfer to slow cooker, on top of the onion. Do not add water. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 4. [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/GarlicChicken3.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/GarlicChicken2.jpg[/IMG] [/SIZE] 5 stars 1 reviews