"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 01-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post

Another take on CM (interesting read);

Chicken & Mushroom Marsala
This is the recipe I used last night. I googled quite a few and most I found had the cream added in the sauce. Is that not the usual way? I get a lot of recipes from that site because it always has lots of pictures of each step so I can see what it should be looking like. But I do know they have "unusual" takes on things sometimes, which makes sense since it's by and for engineers.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #32
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Noticed Andy's link (veal marsala) uses cream in the sauce.
I don't use cream in my Veal Marsala, either. never saw it done that way either here or in Italy, but that doesn't mean you can't do it if you want to.

imho, Americans complain about how rich so many foods are, but then add cream to recipes where none existed before. Not casting aspersions, just making an observation. I like cream as much as the next person...

Old 01-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Thanks June. I would actually prefer not to put the cream in but I didn't know if it was crucial. I can't wait to make it again.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #34
Master Chef

Count me in as one whose never seen cream in a veal marsala recipe, either.

But it might be good that way...
Old 01-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I don't use cream in my Veal Marsala, either. never saw it done that way either here or in Italy, but that doesn't mean you can't do it if you want to....
Same here, CJ - particularly with veal marsala... cause I wanna taste the delicate flavors of the wine & veal (usually thin, in my experience - & politically incorrect ) or chicken. Guess, to each his/her own taste. And... no capers

Think BC, nailed it for me re the brand - as cooking with wine/marsala can be confusing & not knowing what to choose. Can one drink Marsala? Shows you what I know, lol
Old 01-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #36
Senior Cook

i've had the best marsala results using the lombardi (sweet), but the florio is good.

my favorite italian restaurant here in town uses versasi sweet marsala.

btw, i've also cooked the marsala with cream... i find it actually takes AWAY from the marsala flavor, and i believe that is what you want.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef View Post
i've had the best marsala results using the lombardi (sweet), but the florio is good.

my favorite italian restaurant here in town uses versasi sweet marsala.

btw, i've also cooked the marsala with cream... i find it actually takes AWAY from the marsala flavor, and i believe that is what you want.
Thank you, BC. I'm taking notes.

Eureka. I found it - re the lemon juice recipe. Okay, I'd leave out the green onions & marjoram - maybe add a shallot? Or not, lol.

Lemon Chicken Marsala
Old 01-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #38
Head Chef

Well, I'll be dipped! I didn't know that there WAS more than one kind of marsala! I always pick up my bottle in the same liquor store, on the same shelf, and never looked around.

Keltin (the banned, but missed, Keltin) was correct in saying that whatever you make or had first and liked is probably going to be the "marsala" you think of.

I just looked at my bottle and its sweet! Hmmmph, I LOVE my chicken and veal marsala, but since I prefer to drink dry red wine over the sweet red, now I'm curious about trying dry marsala.

Learn a ton of new things every day!

Lee
Old 01-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #39
Senior Cook

i got a free bottle of colombo marsala (dry) today.

i went to lunch with some friends and asked the chef, "what brand of marsala do you use to make chicken marsala?" he told me that he likes the florio.

then, i noticed a NEW bottle of colombo marsala on his counter, and i asked, "well, who started cooking with the colombo?" he said, "not me," and then asked his head waiter who put it there.

the head waiter said, "we ordered the wrong marsala," and this ticked off the chef. he looked at me and said, "here, take this bottle home and tell me how it works for you. i'm gonna replace these with the florio right now."

Old 01-28-2008, 11:20 PM   #40
Master Chef

I just made chicken marsala this evening... no cream... just marsala and mushrooms/pan drippings from the cooked chicken which was dredged with flour, salt, pepper, dried basil. A bit sweet for my taste, but not too bad.

Tags
None