"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #21
Master Chef

Thanks Jeeks.. searching around now!

Old 11-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Sattie, do you have a Super Wally World anywhere nearby? They ought to have all the turkey parts you could want.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Sattie, do you have a Super Wally World anywhere nearby? They ought to have all the turkey parts you could want.
I believe so. I will check there! Thanks AOK!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
I never thought of using turkey legs in place of lamb or veal. Sounds interesting. With the price of veal shank over $10.00/lb here, I have not made Osso Bucco for a while. Turkey bucco? will have to try it. As a person that most often cooks for one, finding the right portion is a sometimes difficult. One turkey leg is about a single portion. Most of the time turkey parts are available here at reasonable prices.
Big Jim - that's just the sort of recipe I use the turkey drums for. I also sub them in for other braises, like lamb shanks over white beans, etc. Really the only thing to keep in mind is that turkey drums cook a LOT quicker than lamb shanks (around an hour TOPS), so you have to keep your eye on that when adjusting whatever recipe you're using.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #25
Head Chef

I am a HUGE believer in fresh vs. frozen turkey for special occasions - the flavor of the fresh is far, far better!

Trader Joe's is going to be having fresh, brined 12-20 lb'ers for $1.79 a pound this month.

Has anyone tried one of theirs?

Lee
Old 11-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I never thought of using turkey legs in place of lamb or veal. Sounds interesting. With the price of veal shank over $10.00/lb here, I have not made Osso Bucco for a while. Turkey bucco? will have to try it. As a person that most often cooks for one, finding the right portion is a sometimes difficult. One turkey leg is about a single portion. Most of the time turkey parts are available here at reasonable prices.
Osso Buco won't be anywhere near the same using turkey instead of veal. The "buco" refers to the hole in the center of the veal shank and the marrow that's inside flavors the whole dish too. The difference in taste between veal and turkey will change the whole character of the dish but it will still be good I'm sure.
Me, I'm sticking to veal shank.

BTW, I've gotten fresh turkey on special order from my local butcher and honestly can't tell the difference. You butcher will "whack" your turkey if you ask him to.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #27
Master Chef

DramaQueen - it's not meant to duplicate "Osso Buco". I know what true Osso Buco is & means. But for those of us who don't eat red meat, turkey drumsticks do make an excellent substitution in the flavorful braise itself - marrow or not.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Is it impossible to find a whole fresh turkey that is not frozen???? My intention is to purchase said turkey and whack it up like I do whole chicken. Trying to add variety to the menu and I thought this would be a way to have a turkey breast or leg for dinner. Plus the economics of it all would be better for a family of two.

Will I have a better chance of finding them as Thanksgiving nears?
I usually buy mine frozen at the local market. If you have a Whole Foods nearby, you might take a look-see there. I have a problem finding turkey cutlets, even around Thanksgiving.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Osso Buco won't be anywhere near the same using turkey instead of veal. The "buco" refers to the hole in the center of the veal shank and the marrow that's inside flavors the whole dish too. The difference in taste between veal and turkey will change the whole character of the dish but it will still be good I'm sure.
Me, I'm sticking to veal shank.

BTW, I've gotten fresh turkey on special order from my local butcher and honestly can't tell the difference. You butcher will "whack" your turkey if you ask him to.
True, Turkey Bucco probably will not be the same as Osso Bucco, which means "bone with a hole", but would be interesting nevertheless. I think that I will give it a try.
The Emeril Live that we got last night featured this dish. Called it Carribbean style turkey legs. Braised in a mirapoix with added spices, stock, and Guiness. Recipe available on his web site
Old 11-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
True, Turkey Bucco probably will not be the same as Osso Bucco, which means "bone with a hole", but would be interesting nevertheless. I think that I will give it a try.
The Emeril Live that we got last night featured this dish. Called it Carribbean style turkey legs. Braised in a mirapoix with added spices, stock, and Guiness. Recipe available on his web site
That sounds like a winner. I'm definately checking that out, thanks.

Tags
None