"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #21
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Thanks Jeeks.. searching around now!
__________________

__________________
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #22
Executive Chef
 
AllenOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,463
Sattie, do you have a Super Wally World anywhere nearby? They ought to have all the turkey parts you could want.
__________________

__________________
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #23
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Sattie, do you have a Super Wally World anywhere nearby? They ought to have all the turkey parts you could want.
I believe so. I will check there! Thanks AOK!
__________________
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #24
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
Quote:
I never thought of using turkey legs in place of lamb or veal. Sounds interesting. With the price of veal shank over $10.00/lb here, I have not made Osso Bucco for a while. Turkey bucco? will have to try it. As a person that most often cooks for one, finding the right portion is a sometimes difficult. One turkey leg is about a single portion. Most of the time turkey parts are available here at reasonable prices.
Big Jim - that's just the sort of recipe I use the turkey drums for. I also sub them in for other braises, like lamb shanks over white beans, etc. Really the only thing to keep in mind is that turkey drums cook a LOT quicker than lamb shanks (around an hour TOPS), so you have to keep your eye on that when adjusting whatever recipe you're using.
__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #25
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 2,488
I am a HUGE believer in fresh vs. frozen turkey for special occasions - the flavor of the fresh is far, far better!

Trader Joe's is going to be having fresh, brined 12-20 lb'ers for $1.79 a pound this month.

Has anyone tried one of theirs?

Lee
__________________
QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #26
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I never thought of using turkey legs in place of lamb or veal. Sounds interesting. With the price of veal shank over $10.00/lb here, I have not made Osso Bucco for a while. Turkey bucco? will have to try it. As a person that most often cooks for one, finding the right portion is a sometimes difficult. One turkey leg is about a single portion. Most of the time turkey parts are available here at reasonable prices.
Osso Buco won't be anywhere near the same using turkey instead of veal. The "buco" refers to the hole in the center of the veal shank and the marrow that's inside flavors the whole dish too. The difference in taste between veal and turkey will change the whole character of the dish but it will still be good I'm sure.
Me, I'm sticking to veal shank.

BTW, I've gotten fresh turkey on special order from my local butcher and honestly can't tell the difference. You butcher will "whack" your turkey if you ask him to.
__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #27
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
DramaQueen - it's not meant to duplicate "Osso Buco". I know what true Osso Buco is & means. But for those of us who don't eat red meat, turkey drumsticks do make an excellent substitution in the flavorful braise itself - marrow or not.
__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #28
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Is it impossible to find a whole fresh turkey that is not frozen???? My intention is to purchase said turkey and whack it up like I do whole chicken. Trying to add variety to the menu and I thought this would be a way to have a turkey breast or leg for dinner. Plus the economics of it all would be better for a family of two.

Will I have a better chance of finding them as Thanksgiving nears?
I usually buy mine frozen at the local market. If you have a Whole Foods nearby, you might take a look-see there. I have a problem finding turkey cutlets, even around Thanksgiving.
__________________
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #29
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Osso Buco won't be anywhere near the same using turkey instead of veal. The "buco" refers to the hole in the center of the veal shank and the marrow that's inside flavors the whole dish too. The difference in taste between veal and turkey will change the whole character of the dish but it will still be good I'm sure.
Me, I'm sticking to veal shank.

BTW, I've gotten fresh turkey on special order from my local butcher and honestly can't tell the difference. You butcher will "whack" your turkey if you ask him to.
True, Turkey Bucco probably will not be the same as Osso Bucco, which means "bone with a hole", but would be interesting nevertheless. I think that I will give it a try.
The Emeril Live that we got last night featured this dish. Called it Carribbean style turkey legs. Braised in a mirapoix with added spices, stock, and Guiness. Recipe available on his web site
__________________
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #30
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
True, Turkey Bucco probably will not be the same as Osso Bucco, which means "bone with a hole", but would be interesting nevertheless. I think that I will give it a try.
The Emeril Live that we got last night featured this dish. Called it Carribbean style turkey legs. Braised in a mirapoix with added spices, stock, and Guiness. Recipe available on his web site
That sounds like a winner. I'm definately checking that out, thanks.
__________________

__________________
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.