"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-16-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Harry's chicken livers with garlic & chilli

a quick,tasty,nutritious meal that won't break the bank either....over here fresh chicken livers are just over 1 per pound.i cook the livers etc in my wok as high heat/fast cooking is essential to keep the livers tender & juicy imo.i like my chicken livers,like calves liver,cooked pink/medium inside.i also use thawed frozen livers and whilst the flavour is excellent they tend to be smaller than fresh & the texture isn't quite as good imo.
THE INGREDIENTS FOR TWO:
a)1lb(400-450grms) fresh chicken livers
b)garlic to taste,i used a single clove per head variety.any will do
c)shallots or sweet onion
d)chilli of dried chilli flakes to taste
e)smoked bacon cut into lardons,rind removed
f)evoo
g)2 or 3 glugs balsamic vinegar
h)small glass dry white wine
i)ground black pepper...percy pepper & lolita liver are in love & plan to have a family!!
j)maybe salt,but depends on bacon
THE METHOD:
1)pick over/trim the livers to remove any white bits/little veins etc.rinse & dry well
2)slice the shallots/garlic/chilli finely...i used my mandolin.or use chilli flakes
3)fry bacon lardons in a little evoo over a med heat to draw the fat & colour slightly
4)add garlic,chilli & shallots & cook for 2 or 3 mins
5)wack up the heat & add the livers/black pepper
6)stir fry to seal livers & cook til nearly at desired "doneness" hard to give timings as depends on how you like your livers & size of livers
7)add balsamico & turn to coat livers etc
8)add wine & boil hard to reduce
9)taste & add salt if required
10)the livers should be coated with a dark/sticky sauce,if you like more sauce add a touch more wine/balsamico mix....your choice
i like it with orzo pasta.i like to add a pinch of saffron to the boiling water for colour contrast/taste.if you haven't got saffron add turmeric...the flavour works with the liver.i added too little saffron to the water so added turmeric too.the combined flavours worked!!also delicious with rice,mashed spuds,chips(fries) or on toast.
also works well with calves,lamb & pigs liver etc cut into strips.
ENJOY!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHICKEN LIVERS & BACON 001.JPG
Views:	2733
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	15352   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHICKEN LIVERS & BACON 002.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	15353  

Name:	CHICKEN LIVERS & BACON 003.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	15354   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHICKEN LIVERS & BACON 004.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	15355  

Name:	CHICKEN LIVERS & BACON 005.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	15356   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHICKEN LIVERS & BACON 006.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	15357  

Name:	CHICKEN LIVERS & BACON 007.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	15358  

Old 08-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

i like it

Old 08-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Looks mighty good, Harry! I love me some chicken livers!
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to make chicken liver in a similar way--only I used brandy (cognac when I could afford it).
Old 08-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Looks good Harry. You're lucky that chicken livers are still a bargain. Around here the price has gone the same way as the price of chicken wings - about the same as boneless chicken breast.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Master Chef

Looks Great, Harry !

still getting livers, hearts and gizzards for about three bucks a pound at the local Amish market..................

Old 08-18-2012, 04:38 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Looks mighty good, Harry! I love me some chicken livers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I used to make chicken liver in a similar way--only I used brandy (cognac when I could afford it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Looks good Harry. You're lucky that chicken livers are still a bargain. Around here the price has gone the same way as the price of chicken wings - about the same as boneless chicken breast.
thanks all.once my "wing" is out of the sling and it's working properly again i'll be back to doin' some cooking!still it's a good excuse to have food de-livered and me mates have made up a rota to take me out to dinner.....hope they don't mind a cloud of flies following me around 'cos i'm not allowed to take a shower until the stitches have disolved/been checked on tuesday!good excuse to get greg off me case about caps shift too...it's me left wing!!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
Looks Great, Harry !

still getting livers, hearts and gizzards for about three bucks a pound at the local Amish market..................
gizzards lucky t.....love 'em,particularly turkey...bolas and i get them on line, delivered...no pun intended...umm....well...maybe...by a turkey farm in pembrokeshire,turkey necks too....they are the best!!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

LT, great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
Looks Great, Harry !

Tags
chicken, chicken liver, garlic, recipe

Harry's chicken livers with garlic & chilli a quick,tasty,nutritious meal that won't break the bank either....over here fresh chicken livers are just over 1 per pound.i cook the livers etc in my wok as high heat/fast cooking is essential to keep the livers tender & juicy imo.i like my chicken livers,like calves liver,cooked pink/medium inside.i also use thawed frozen livers and whilst the flavour is excellent they tend to be smaller than fresh & the texture isn't quite as good imo. THE INGREDIENTS FOR TWO: a)1lb(400-450grms) fresh chicken livers b)garlic to taste,i used a single clove per head variety.any will do c)shallots or sweet onion d)chilli of dried chilli flakes to taste e)smoked bacon cut into lardons,rind removed f)evoo g)2 or 3 glugs balsamic vinegar h)small glass dry white wine i)ground black pepper...percy pepper & lolita liver are in love & plan to have a family!! j)maybe salt,but depends on bacon THE METHOD: 1)pick over/trim the livers to remove any white bits/little veins etc.rinse & dry well 2)slice the shallots/garlic/chilli finely...i used my mandolin.or use chilli flakes 3)fry bacon lardons in a little evoo over a med heat to draw the fat & colour slightly 4)add garlic,chilli & shallots & cook for 2 or 3 mins 5)wack up the heat & add the livers/black pepper 6)stir fry to seal livers & cook til nearly at desired "doneness" hard to give timings as depends on how you like your livers & size of livers 7)add balsamico & turn to coat livers etc 8)add wine & boil hard to reduce 9)taste & add salt if required 10)the livers should be coated with a dark/sticky sauce,if you like more sauce add a touch more wine/balsamico mix....your choice i like it with orzo pasta.i like to add a pinch of saffron to the boiling water for colour contrast/taste.if you haven't got saffron add turmeric...the flavour works with the liver.i added too little saffron to the water so added turmeric too.the combined flavours worked!!also delicious with rice,mashed spuds,chips(fries) or on toast. also works well with calves,lamb & pigs liver etc cut into strips. ENJOY!! 3 stars 1 reviews