"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
Executive Chef

ISO braised chicken with mushrooms & sauce recipe ideas

I'm looking for a reasonable braised chicken in mushrooms and sauce recipe suitable for cooking in a covered pan. I have a wok inspired pan (non-stick aluminum, curved sides, flat bottom, glass cover) that I often braise in. -- If necessary I can make one of the French mother sauces as I have both chix broth and milk to base the sauce on. I have:

chicken thighs, skin on
crimeni mushrooms (baby bells)
chix stock or milk (if I have to make the sauce separately)
choice of Marsala, port or white wine for simmering liquid
all the usual spices + S & P
EVOO of course
butter
flour
a yellow onion
mustard and other usual condiments
balsamic vinegar
fresh garlic
fresh tomatoes
sun dried tomatoes in EVOO
Parmesan cheese (grated)

I do not have cream and I'm sorta not well and not willing to drive to market.

I'm thinking something along the lines of dredge chix thighs in seasoned flour and brown, set aside, add EVOO (or butter) and saute the quartered mushrooms and a bit of minced garlic, then return chix and add appropriate liquids and other ingredients.

I'll be happy with just general ideas on which of the above to use. There is no need to suggest amounts of ingredients, I've been cooking long enough and in fact often just add what looks right without measuring.

I'll appreciate ideas as to which ingredients to use and the gist of the recipe suggestion. BTW I intend to serve with brown rice or maybe baked potato. Thanks in advance!

Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Executive Chef

BTW I have a wide selection of Asian ingredients too, sesame oil, crab paste, shrimp paste, rice vinegar, rice wine, soy sauce, mirin...

I guess if I get no other ideas I can use the mushrooms another day and just make curry sauce...

Old 04-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Looks like you have enough on hand to provide you with several options. You could go Italian, Asian or something generic.

I'd start by browning the thighs and setting them aside then sautéing mushrooms, onions and garlic (and ginger if you want Asian) in oil (sesame oil if you want Asian), deglaze with wine (rice or Marsala).

Add back the chicken and season according to the style you've chosen. Braise and finish with splash of the appropriate vinegar and serve over rice (or pasta).
Old 04-08-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Thank you! I'm looking for options and sort of brainstorming. I have these really nice baby bells and hope to make them the keynote of the chicken dinner.

In fact I love the baby bells so much I don't buy white mushrooms any more.

I'm sort of tending away from Asian but I'll go that way if I don't get any better ideas.

Sometimes it's fun to just get a mess of ingredients and turn off your logic, turn on your intuition, and then just go with the flow!
Old 04-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I'm looking for a reasonable braised chicken in mushrooms...and I'm sorta not well and not willing to drive to market...
Soup. It doesn't take much effort, and it will sooth you if you're feeling poorly. That would be my choice. I know you'll still make whatever YOU want, but they are YOUR ingredients!

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Have you ever tried making coq au vin? It is a French classic that is really easy to make. I make it in a cast iron dutch oven, but it can be done in other cookware, and even a crock pot. I use dark meat chicken -- legs and thighs. Sounds like what you have on hand.

It is a one-pot wonder that is really tasty.

CD
Old 04-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Soup: I don't like soup, and I had the chicken thighs and very nice looking baby bell mushrooms I wanted to use.

I'll Google coq au vin recipes. Thanks!

I ended up marinating in aji-mirin (basically concentrated rice wine with sugar), rolling in seasoned flour, browned the chicken in EVOO, set aside. Then sauteed the mushroom quarters in butter, returned chix and seasoned with whatever spices I had at hand (basil, etc.) and simmered, served with white rice. It came out good, but not remarkably good. No need for me to write it down, I could easily recreate or expand on it any time.

I'll be trying more variations soon since I like chix thighs, and braising is a very easy cooking method. Just wash the pan and cleanup is done!

Thanks all!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Coq au vin began as peasant food. I love that kind of food. Poor people have always had to be creative, to take cheap ingredients and make something good from them.

Being peasant food also means the recipe is just a framework. You can change it to fit what is available to you at the time.

CD
Old 04-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #9
Master Chef

Coq au vin is what you should make, for sure ...
Old 04-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Coq au vin sounds like a great idea! I found a recipe that looks good and I'll cook it when I have a few ingredients not currently in my stock.

The recipe I found uses red wine, and I have been drinking mostly Chardonnay, so I'll get a nice Merlot or Cianti and I can enjoy the wine with my dinner.

Tags
chicken, ideas, mushroom, mushrooms, recipe, sauce

ISO braised chicken with mushrooms & sauce recipe ideas I'm looking for a reasonable braised chicken in mushrooms and sauce recipe suitable for cooking in a covered pan. I have a wok inspired pan (non-stick aluminum, curved sides, flat bottom, glass cover) that I often braise in. -- If necessary I can make one of the French mother sauces as I have both chix broth and milk to base the sauce on. I have: chicken thighs, skin on crimeni mushrooms (baby bells) chix stock or milk (if I have to make the sauce separately) choice of Marsala, port or white wine for simmering liquid all the usual spices + S & P EVOO of course butter flour a yellow onion mustard and other usual condiments balsamic vinegar fresh garlic fresh tomatoes sun dried tomatoes in EVOO Parmesan cheese (grated) I do not have cream and I'm sorta not well and not willing to drive to market. I'm thinking something along the lines of dredge chix thighs in seasoned flour and brown, set aside, add EVOO (or butter) and saute the quartered mushrooms and a bit of minced garlic, then return chix and add appropriate liquids and other ingredients. I'll be happy with just general ideas on which of the above to use. There is no need to suggest amounts of ingredients, I've been cooking long enough and in fact often just add what looks right without measuring. :smile: I'll appreciate ideas as to which ingredients to use and the gist of the recipe suggestion. BTW I intend to serve with brown rice or maybe baked potato. Thanks in advance! 3 stars 1 reviews