"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
RR has a good recipe for Giant turkey balls, if you would like to give it a try. The ingreds are similar to the above:

Super-Size Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Cheese

Here is an idea for the tetrazzini:
Turkey Tetrazzini
I've made RR's giant meatballs several times and they are absolutely delicious!

And,yes, Amy, I was thinking about Swedish Meatballs or Tetrazini, too! What little kid doesn't like burger in a creamy sauce over noodles?

Lee

Old 10-05-2007, 01:29 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
I've made RR's giant meatballs several times and they are absolutely delicious!

And,yes, Amy, I was thinking about Swedish Meatballs or Tetrazini, too! What little kid doesn't like burger in a creamy sauce over noodles?

Lee
Q, those meatballs (and a side of noodles) are really good - the nutmeg is a perfect touch. Love swedish meatballs (had them the other night) and tetrazzini. Yum. Can't wait for Thanksgiving leftovers.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #23
Everymom

Look here for a bunch of ground turkey recipes. The whole site is dedicated to turkey. Y'all might want to bookmark it for after Thanksgiving!
Old 10-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to help with the search function. When you use it, always use the Advanced Search function, and then limit your search to either titles or to posts featuring your words. The other good trick is to limit the search to a particular area.

For example:

Advanced Search + Ground turkey + Entire Posts + Chicken and Turkey forum only

led me to a jillion threads with lots and lots of info. I actually think I might need to go back and read some more as there are great ideas there. I took a peek at the ground chicken one too and it was great.
Hi, Alix. The problem is that, even using the advanced search, the results aren't limited to posts that contain the specific phrase "ground turkey." As Keltin said, they also include posts containing "ground black pepper," etc. - anything containing "ground" *or* "turkey."
Old 10-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #25
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Make Bierocks!! Iím thinking of making these tonight with ground beef, but you can use ground turkey.

Brown 1 pound of ground beef or turkey with 1 cup finely chopped onion. When done, donít drain, but instead add 3 cups of finely shredded cabbage. Stir together and cook until cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes. Pour mixture onto a cookie sheet and spread out to allow it to cool.

Either make a sweet dough, or use a pre-made frozen dough, or a sweet dinner roll dough. Roll out the dough into a 5Ē squares. Put 2 Tbsp of meat mixture onto dough (you can also add some shredded cheddar cheese at this point as well!), and then fold the edges up and seal tightly. Place sealed dough packs on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 25 Ė 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with ketchup or mustard......or both.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #26
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hi, Alix. The problem is that, even using the advanced search, the results aren't limited to posts that contain the specific phrase "ground turkey." As Keltin said, they also include posts containing "ground black pepper," etc. - anything containing "ground" *or* "turkey."
I know that GotGarlic, however, I'm pretty sure we are all smart enough to pick out the threads that are applicable. Try the search string I posted above, you'll see that with limits, you can get a pretty fine list of things. The key is to limit the areas you are searching in. I'm not saying our search function is perfect, I'm just trying to help folks use it to its maximum potential.

Keltin, could you use wonton wrappers for those beirocks? Or maybe phyllo dough?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Keltin, could you use wonton wrappers for those beirocks? Or maybe phyllo dough?
You could probably use phyllo dough. Iíve seen a recipe for Runzas (basically the same thing as Beirocks) that used Phyllo dough.

Most people make their own sweet dough.....but Iím not much of a baker, so I cheat!

Iíve not worked with phyllo dough before, but if Iím right, itís a really flaky dough? That sounds good! Since the filling is pre-cooked, I donít see why you couldnít use any dough you want. All youíre doing during the last stage is cooking the dough and sealing it.

I've also seen a recip using dinner roll dough that they deep fried after filling. I wonder how that would be?

Hereís a basic recipe (they use a bit more cabbage than me) with a simple dough recipe.

Hereís a pic of some that are professionally made. Mine never look like that, but more like the pic in that recipe I posted!

Old 10-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #28
Everymom

Yes phyllo dough is very flaky. It would be sort of like Wellingtons with ground turkey. That sounds tasty!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Yes phyllo dough is very flaky. It would be sort of like Wellingtons with ground turkey. That sounds tasty!
Indeed! I actually bought some pre-made crescent rolls that I'll be using tonight. I've used them before, and they're great. If you try this, let us know how it turns out for you!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #30
Everymom

Thanks Keltin, its one of those ideas I will DEFINITELY try. I like the crescent dough idea too. (I love shortcuts!)

Tags
None