"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
Head Chef

Question: How do you make the seasoned flour? Just add salt and pepper? How much?

Old 08-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Head Chef

Yep that's it just salt and pepper , I never measure just a good grind of each ! Just so it's not bland I suppose you could stick your finger in and taste if in doubt .

Old 08-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Yep that's it just salt and pepper , I never measure just a good grind of each ! Just so it's not bland I suppose you could stick your finger in and taste if in doubt .
I am one of those grandmothers who just pours it into the palm of my hand. We had a Cajun cook named Justin. Told some great stories as he was cooking. He would tell you a tsp. of salt, then pour it into the palm of his hand. Then one day to prove to all doubters, he did that and then poured it into a measuring spoon. It was exactly one tsp. And then he did a tbs. That trick comes with years of experience.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
If its baked with just salt and pepper then how is it KFC style?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

If its baked with just salt and pepper then how is it KFC style?
Jenny.....the "secret spices" are sort of buried in the blog.

Homemade KFC - The Secret Blend of Herbs and Spices
Ingredients
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme 1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano 1 tbsp celery salt
Method
1 tbsp cracked black pepper
1 tbsp mustard powder
4 tbsp paprika (not the smoked stuff) 2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp ground ginger

Whisk ingredients together then store in an airtight jar until needed
It should last as long as the minimum use by date on your ingredients (I might keep mine after that, but of course I don't advise you do!)
Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
GQ, I think Caslon is confused by you saying "Yep, just add salt and pepper" when in reality you need to add all of the "secret spices" to the flour and in your case also the "polenta". (If I am not mistaken) Btw is The "polenta" that you use, corn flour or cornmeal? I always think of Polenta as cooked corn flour/cornmeal. ;) i
Old 08-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
GQ, I think Caslon is confused by you saying "Yep, just add salt and pepper" when in reality you need to add all of the "secret spices" to the flour and in your case also the "polenta". (If I am not mistaken) Btw is The "polenta" that you use, corn flour or cornmeal? I always think of Polenta as cooked corn flour/cornmeal. ;) i
I'm not confused. Do you not see the flour in the first bowl? That's seasoned flour, not the kfc seasoning mix that's shown in the third bowl (pictured) of her "conveyor belt."

Also, I too have always made my "basic seasoned flour" with just salt and pepper (when cooking chicken fried steaks), yet, when I Google "Seasoned Flour" I see only search results of ppl adding 4 or 5 spices to make basic seasoned flour.

None of them say just add salt and pepper to flour, which is what I've always done, and will continue to do.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #18
Head Chef

No I thought seasoned flour referred to the first coating for the chicken , so seasoned flour is just flour with salt and pepper . The spice mix is the flour with all of the other spices mixed in and that is the last coating . There is a link on the blog to the spice mix .

Cornflour here is different to polenta , so I guess polenta is cornmeal ? It's yellow and fine but more gritty . Cornflour just is white and looks like flour .
Old 08-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
Wine Guy

Quote:
Cornflour here is different to polenta , so I guess polenta is cornmeal ? It's yellow and fine but more gritty . Cornflour just is white and looks like flour .
Cornflour that I've bought here is usually called masa harina. As you say, polenta is a more coarsely ground product.

In the photo below, polenta is on the left, cornflour or masa harina on the right:

Old 08-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

When I make corn muffins, it is the grittiness that I hate. So I used to cut it with less corn meal and more flour. Then one day I threw the corn meal into my mini FP and gave it a couple of whirls. Surprise! It really cut down on the grittiness. Now I do it all the time corn meal is called for, like coating.

Tags
chicken